|Truman F. Bewley|
|Born||July 19, 1941|
|Alma mater||University of California, Berkeley|
|Doctoral advisor||Calvin Cooper Moore|
|Doctoral students||Dean Corbae
Truman Fassett Bewley (born July 19, 1941) is an American economist. He is the Alfred Cowles Professor of Economics at Yale University. Originally specializing in mathematical economics and general equilibrium theory, since the late 1990s Bewley has gained renown for his work on sticky wages. In Bewley's 1999 book Why Wages Don't Fall During a Recession, hundreds of interviews with executives, labor leaders, and other professionals establish morale as an important factor in why businesses are reluctant to decrease employee compensation at times of low demand.
Due to Bewley (1977), Bewley is the namesake of Bewley models, the class of incomplete markets general equilibrium models in which agents face idiosyncratic income shocks and achieve partial insurance via, for example, a risk-free bond or capital. Aiyagari (1994), Huggett (1993), and Krusell and Smith (1998) are examples of Bewley models, each with many hundreds of citations according to Google Scholar.
- "Why Wages Do Not Fall in Recessions," The Economist, February 26, 2000: http://cowles.econ.yale.edu/news/bewley/tfb_00-02_wages.htm
- Bewley, Truman F. (1999). Why Wages Don't Fall During a Recession. Harvard University Press.
- Bewley, T. (1972). "Existence of Equilibria in Economies with Infinitely many Commodities". Journal of Economic Theory 4: 514–40.
- Bewley, Truman F. (1977). "The Permanent Income Hypothesis: A Theoretical Formulation". J. Econ. Theory 16: 252–92.
- Bewley, Truman F. (1986). "Stationary Monetary Equilibrium with a Continuum of Independently Fluctuating Consumers" (PDF).
- Ljungqvist, L.; Sargent, T. J. (2004). Recursive Macroeconomic Theory. The MIT Press.
- Aiyagari, S. Rao (1994). "Uninsured Idiosyncratic Risk and Aggregate Saving". Q.J.E. 109: 659–84.
- Huggett, Mark (1993). "The Risk-Free Rate in Heterogeneous-Agent Incomplete-Insurance Economies". J. Econ. Dynamics and Control 17: 953–69.
- Krusell, P.; Smith, A. A., Jr. (1998). "Income and Wealth Heterogeneity in the Macroeconomy". Journal of Political Economy 106: 867–96.
- "Book of Members, 1780–2010: Chapter B" (PDF). American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved June 25, 2011.
- Homepage of Truman F. Bewley
- Major Works of Truman F. Bewley
- Truman Bewley at the Mathematics Genealogy Project