Trumbull Township, Ashtabula County, Ohio
|Trumbull Township, Ashtabula County, Ohio|
Municipalities and townships of Ashtabula County
|• Total||25.7 sq mi (66.5 km2)|
|• Land||25.7 sq mi (66.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,004 ft (306 m)|
|• Density||55/sq mi (21.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085744|
Located on the western edge of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Harpersfield Township - north
- Austinburg Township - northeast corner
- Morgan Township - east
- Rome Township - southeast corner
- Hartsgrove Township - south
- Montville Township, Geauga County - southwest corner
- Thompson Township, Geauga County - west
- Madison Township, Lake County - northwest corner
No municipalities are located in Trumbull Township, although the unincorporated community of Footville lies in the township's southwest. Two other old unincorporated communities lie farther east: Center Trumbull and East Trumbull.
Name and history
It is the only Trumbull Township statewide.
The first white settlers in what is now Trumbull Township were Holly and Hannah Turner, who came from the town of Scipio, New York. Because they soon left, the first permanent resident was Daniel Woodruff, who came from New York in 1818.
Trumbull Township was organized in 1825.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees. Currently, the board is composed of chairman Ron Tamburino and members Willis Clay and John McMahon.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Trumbull township, Ashtabula County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- 40th anniversary: Trumbull area Ruritan Club marks 4 decades of service, The [Ashtabula] Star Beacon, 2007-10-13. Accessed 2007-10-15.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Ashtabula County, Ohio Ashtabula County, 2007. Accessed 2007-05-28.
- Kilbourn, John (1833). "The Ohio Gazetteer, or, a Topographical Dictionary". Scott and Wright. p. 445. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.