Truth Wins Out
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (October 2009)|
Truth Wins Out (TWO) is an organization formed by Wayne Besen to fight what it considers "anti-gay religious extremism", especially the ex-gay movement. TWO states that religious groups claiming that they have "cured" individuals of homosexuality are a hoax, and are, in fact, dangerous to society.
Besen formed Truth Wins Out on June 7, 2006 as a response to the belief that a person's homosexual orientation can change. In particular, TWO is critical of organizations and religious ministries which treat homosexuality as a diseased behavior pattern which can be "cured". Besen later launched the related RespectMyResearch project to document what he views as distortions of science by the ex-gay movement, especially Focus on the Family. Former staff include John M. Becker, who served as director of communications and development.
Truth Wins Out organizes protests around the country to counter the ex-gay movement. One of TWO's three largest protests occurred on November 4, 2008 at the National Radio Hall of Fame in Chicago. The "Dobson" campaign was being held to protest the induction of James Dobson, the founder of Focus on the Family, into the Radio Hall of Fame. On his websites, Besen posts videos of former ex-gays describing their experience with the ex-gay movement.
- Love Won Out
- Christianity and homosexuality
- LGBT-welcoming church programs
- List of LGBT-related organizations
- "Besen to Launch Organization to Counter Ex-Gay Myth". Wayne Besen official website. 2006-06-02. Retrieved 2007-03-04.
- Thibaut, Kyle (March 23, 2011). "Apple Pulls "Gay Cure" App Under Heavy Criticism". TechCrunch. Retrieved May 5, 2014.
- http://www.truthwinsout.org/category/pressreleases/ Dump Dobson Coalition Unveils Full-Page Ad In Chicago Tribune
|This article about a lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender-related organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an organization in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|