Seim performing with his orchestra in 2006.
(Photo by Roy Wichert-Gonsalves)
25 April 1971 |
|Labels||ECM, Curling Legs|
Seim studied music at Foss videregående skole (1987–90) and attended the Jazz program at the Trondheim Musikkonservatorium (1990–92), where he complited studies in jazz saxophone. Further more Seim studied composition with Terje Bjørklund, Bertil Palmar Johansen, Edward Vesala and Bjørn Kruse.
In 1991, He and fellow student, the pianist Christian Wallumrød founded the group Airamero in 1991, including bassist Johannes Eick and drummer Per Oddvar Johansen. The band released the album Airamero in 1994. It also undertook several concert tours in Scandinavia and Germany.
Seim became part of Jon Balke's band Oslo 13 in 1992, and took over the joint leadership of this orchestra in 1994 together with Morten Halle and Torbjørn Sunde. Now the band is called 1300 Oslo. He is also a member of jazz quartet The Source with Øyvind Brække, Mats Eilertsen and Per Oddvar Johansen. They have made five records and played several concert tours all over Europe and Russia, and played with Edward Vesala and Kenny Wheeler.
Seim's debut CD release as a leader, Different Rivers, released on the Norge record label ECM in 2001, received good reviews all over the world, winning the German Record Critics Prize, "Jahrespreis – Preis der Deutschen Schallplattenkritik". Since then, he has released several records on ECM.
He has, more recently, composed music for classical musicians, especially Norwegian mezzo soprano Anne-Lise Berntsen, soprano Tora Augestad, violinist Atle Sponberg and such as his new work Between Voice and Presence for the Trio Mediaeval. For the 2006 Vossajazz Festival, he wrote a full-length commissioned concert, Reiser.
In 2014 Seim contributed on Mats Eilertsen's Rubicon, the commissioned work for Vossajazz 2014. On this occation he was standin for Tore Brunborg who missed the event. Currently (2014) he has been touring with his own Trygve Seim Ensemble performing his own compositions. In addition he collaborates in "Trygve Seim/Frode Haltli Duo", the quartet The Source and soprano Tora Augestad's "Music for a While". He also tour and record within projects like Iro Haarla Quintet, Sinikka Langeland’s group "Starflowers", Jai Shankar Ensemble.
- As a leader and composer
- Trygve Seim – "Sangam" (released on ECM Records year 2004, ECM 1797)
- Trygve Seim – "Different Rivers" (released on ECM Records year 2001, ECM 1744)
- As a co-leader and composer
- Trygve Seim / Frode Haltli – Yeraz (released on ECM Records year 2008, ECM 2044)
- The Source: of Christmas – "Live" (released on GRAPPA Records year 2007, GRCD 4215)
- The Source – "The Source" (released on ECM Records year 2006, ECM 1966)
- Trygve Seim / Øyvind Brække / Per Oddvar Johansen – "The Source and Different Cikadas" (released on ECM Records year 2002, ECM 1764)
- 1300 Oslo – "Live in the North" (released on Curling Legs year 2001, CLCD 63)
- Motorpsycho and The Source – The MotorSource Massacre (released on Stickman Records year 2000, 3RD EAR 0200)
- Trygve Seim / Havard Lund / Njål Ølnes / Audun Kleive – "Decoy" (released on Turn Left Productions year 1998, TURNCD497)
- The Source – "The Source: of Christmas" (released on Curling Legs year 1996, CLCD 63)
- The Source – "Olemanns kornett" (released on Curling Legs year 1994, CLCD 63)
- Trygve Seim / Christian Wallumrød / Johannes Eick / Per Oddvar Johansen – "Airamero" (released on Odin Records year 1994, NJ 40492)
- As a sideman
- Manu Katche – "Playground" (released on ECM Records year 2007, ECM 2016)
- Sinikka Langeland – "Starflowers" (released on ECM Records year 2007, ECM 1996)
- Iro Haarla – "Northbound" (released on ECM Records year 2006, ECM 1918)
- Christian Wallumrød – "Sofienberg Variations" (released on ECM Records, year 2003, ECM 1809)
- Jørn Skogheim – "Above Water" (released on Curling Legs year 2007, CLCD 99)
- Petter Wettre – "Mystery unfolds" (released on Bp/Universal year 2001, BP 01009)
- Jacob Young Band – "Glow" (released on Curling Legs year 2001, CLPCD 60)
- Geir Lysne Listening Ensemble – "Aurora Borealis" (released on Groove Records year 2000, GR 19932)
- Motorpsycho – "Trust Us" (released on Stickman Records year 1998, FLAC-2CD)
- Jacob Young Band – "Pieces of Time" (released on Curling Legs year 1997, CLPCD 37)
- Squid – "Super" (released on Forward Records year 1997, FWCD005)
- Håvard Lund – "Letters" (released on Turn Left Productions year 1996)
- Jon Balke Oslo 13 – "Live" (released on Curling Legs year 1993, CLCD 07)
- Bodega Band – "En Flik Av..." (released on Plateselskapet year 1992)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Trygve Seim.|
|Recipient of the Jazz Gammleng-prisen
The Brazz Brothers