From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Location of Tsubame in Niigata Prefecture
|Region||Chūbu (Kōshin'etsu) (Hokuriku)|
|• Mayor||Tsutomu Suzuki (since April 2010)|
|• Total||110.88 km2 (42.81 sq mi)|
|Population (April 30, 2011)|
|• Density||750.14/km2 (1,942.9/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Japan Standard Time (UTC+9)|
|- Tree||Cherry blossom|
|- Flower||Salvia, Chrysanthemum|
|Address||1-1 Yoshida-Hinode-cho, Tsubame-shi, Niigata-ken
|Website||City of Tsubame|
- March 31, 1954 - The city of Tsubame was founded by merging with 4 towns and villages.
- March 20, 2006 - Tsubame absorbed the towns of Bunsui and Yoshida (both from Nishikanbara District) to create the new and expanded city of Tsubame.
The current mayor is Kiyoshi Kobayashi, the last mayor of the town of Bunsui.
- Sheboygan, Wisconsin, United States-since January 11, 1996
- Dundee, Michigan and Tsubame have an exchange program through their local middle school.
Famous People from Tsubame
- Chinami Nishimura (politician)
- Killer Khan (professional wrestler)
- Kiriko Nananan (manga artist)
- Yusaku Kamekura (graphic designer)
- Shigeji Kaneko (boxer)
- Kaori Uesugi (enka singer)
- Yasuo Harada (shogi player)
- Junji Hoshino (baseball player)
- Misao Yokoyama (Nihonga painter)
Media related to Tsubame, Niigata at Wikimedia Commons
- Tsubame City official website (Japanese)