Tsukuba International School
|Tsukuba International School|
|Kamigo 7846-1, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, 300-2645
|Staff||17 full time staff and 6 part time staff|
|Grades||Pre-Kindergarten (age 3) - 10th grade|
|Enrollment||114 students as of April 2014|
|Color(s)||Blue and green|
|Mascot||Xavier the Robot|
|Affiliation||Japan Council of Independent Schools (JCIS)|
Tsukuba International School (つくばインターナショナルスクール, TIS) is a private, non-profit school for English-speaking children in Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan. It was established by the foreign community in 1992 in response to the need for an English education option for foreign students in the area. The school currently includes a pre school, elementary school, middle school, and high school (Pre Kindergarten to Grade 10). As of April 2014, the school had 114 students in 10 classes, with 14 full-time teachers and 5 part-time teachers.
Tsukuba International School is a member of the Japan Council of International Schools (since 1998) and is recognized as an incorporated school (学校法人) by the Ibaraki Prefecture government. In November 2011, it received authorization to offer the Primary Years Programme (PYP) of the International Baccalaureate (IB). It is the twelfth school in Japan to offer the IB PYP and the 22nd IB World School in the country.
- Lee Chae-rin, the leader of 2NE1, a Korean pop (K-pop) group, attended TIS when she was in elementary school.
- Tsukuba International School website
- Tsukuba International School Facebook page
- International School Built to Serve (Article in April 11, 2009 Japan Times) (accessed April 6, 2010)
- 茨城・つくばにインターナショナルスクール開校へ (Article in May 3, 2008 Sankei News) (accessed April 6, 2010)