|This article does not cite any references or sources. (April 2012)|
Warning: Display title "<i>Ttyl</i> (novel)" overrides earlier display title "ttyl (novel)".
Cover Art of Ttyl
|Cover artist||Celina Carvalho|
|Genre||Young-adult fiction, epistolary novel|
|Publisher||Harry N. Abrams, Inc., Amulet Books|
|April 1, 2004|
ttyl is a young adult novel written by Lauren Myracle and is also the first book in the 'Internet Girls' series. In 2004, it gained attention for being the first novel written entirely in the style of instant messaging conversation. The novel was a New York Times, Publishers Weekly, and a Book Sense bestseller. "ttyl" is internet slang for "Talk to you later".
||This article's plot summary may be too long or excessively detailed. (December 2012)|
- Angela Silver or SnowAngel is one of the main protagonists and is best friends with Zoe Barrett and Madigan Kinnick. She is supposedly a good friend, but she cannot keep a secret, the one flaw that Maddie constantly brings up. Angela believes that the winsome threesome will always stick together, no matter what. She also states that one of the trio has to be sexually involved with a guy, and just knows that she will be the one. After she breaks up with Rob Tyler, for whom she had strong feelings, she cannot help but miss him. Her second crush, Ben Schlanker, turns out to have a girlfriend named Leslie. Angela has a twelve-year-old sister, Chrissy, whom she finds really annoying.
- Madigan "Maddie" Kinnick or mad maddie is one of the main protagonists and is best friends with Angela Silver and Zoe Barrett. She constantly feels down and thinks of herself as a dumb and retarded person. At first, Maddie thinks of Jana as a mean and bratty person but later befriends her. While at Jana's brother's frat party, Maddie gets drunk and does a table dance in front of everyone with her shirt and bra off. Maddie turns sixteen in the book, unlike Zoe and Angela, who are fifteen. Maddie wants her boyfriend Ian to kiss her, but Ian never makes a move, and she is too nervous to make a move herself. She has an eighteen-year-old brother named Mark.
- Zoe Barrett or zoegirl is one of the main protagonists and is best friends with Angela Silver and Madigan Kinnick. She is described as smart and kind. Zoe almost never swears, but she sometimes cusses when she is mad at someone. She does not have a boyfriend in the book but has to deal with Mr. H, her flirty English teacher. Zoe is afraid of being alone with Mr. H and doesn't know what to do when he asks her to go hot tubbing with him. The problem is solved when her friends go with her, though. Zoe loves to help out in churches and regularly attends. She does not have any brothers or sisters, being an only child.
- Jana Whitaker is an antagonist in the book. She is described as spoiled, bratty and mean. Often, Maddie or Angela catch Jana backstabbing her friends by spreading rumors about them. After Maddie gets drunk, Jana takes pictures of Maddie doing a table dance half naked and starts a chain letter.
- Mr. H is Zoe's English teacher and Maddie and Angela's former journalism teacher. He is a 24-year-old Christian.The girls suspect that he is sexually depressed. Mr. H was about to make a move on Zoe in a hot tub before Angela and Maddie barged in.
According to Newsweek: "Author Lauren Myracle’s young-adult novels have topped the American Library Association's list of books people want to ban."