Sirajuddin of Perlis
|Yang di-Pertuan Agong of Malaysia|
|Reign||13 December 2001 – 12 December 2006|
|Predecessor||Salahuddin of Selangor|
|Successor||Mizan Zainal Abidin of Terengganu|
|Raja of Perlis|
|Reign||17 April 2000 - Present|
|Predecessor||Tuanku Syed Putra|
|Spouse||Tengku Fauziah binti Almarhum Tengku Abdul Rashid|
|Issue||Tuanku Syed Faizuddin Putra Jamalullail
|Father||Tuanku Syed Putra ibni Almarhum Syed Hassan Jamalullail|
|Mother||Tengku Budriah binti Almarhum Tengku Ismail|
17 May 1943 |
Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin ibni Tuanku Syed Putra Jamalullail (born Raja of Perlis, reigning since 17 April 2000. He served as the 12th Yang di-Pertuan Agong from 13 December 2001 to 12 December 2006 and 7th Raja of Perlis since 2000.17 May 1943 ) is the current
Early life and education
Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin was born in Arau, Perlis and is the second of ten children of HRH Almarhum Tuanku Syed Putra Jamalullail and Tengku Budriah binti Almarhum Tengku Ismail. He studied at the Arau Malay School until standard two, then from 5 January 1950 he continued his primary education at Wellesley Primary School in Penang followed by Westland Primary School until the end of 1955. Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin began his secondary education at Penang Free School on 9 January 1956 and later left for England to study at Wellingborough School for four years until 1963. Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin also underwent training as a Cadet Officer at the Royal Military Academy in Sandhurst, England from January 1964 until December 1965.
Upon his return from England, Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin served with the Ministry of Defence Malaysia. His first post was as Second Lieutenant in the 2nd Regiment of the Malaysian Reconnaissance Corps (12 December 1965). In 1966, he was transferred to Sabah and then to Sarawak in 1967. He then served in Pahang for several years until he resigned on 31 December 1969 to return to Perlis. He was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant in December 1967.
In 1970, he served in the armed forces again, as Captain of the Local Territorial Army from 16 November 1970 until 1 October 1972. He was promoted to Major on 1 October 1972. Presently, he is the Commanding Officer of Regiment 504 of the Army Reserve Unit with the rank of Colonel.
Raja of Perlis
In October 1960, he was appointed the Raja Muda (Crown Prince) of Perlis while still a student. Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin ibni Almarhum Tuanku Syed Putra Jamalullail was installed as the twelfth ruler of Perlis on 17 April 2000, the day after the death of his father, Tuanku Syed Putra ibni Almarhum Syed Hassan Jamalullail, who had been Raja since 1945, and was at that time the world's longest reigning monarch.
Yang di-Pertuan Agong
Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin was elected the 12th Yang di-Pertuan Agong of Malaysia on 13 December 2001. This was earlier than expected because the Sultan of Selangor and the previous 11th Yang di-Pertuan Agong, Almarhum Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah Al-Haj ibni Almarhum Sultan Sir Hisamuddin Alam Shah Al-Haj, died on 21 November 2001 while his term should have ended in 2004. Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin's term ended on 12 December 2006.
On 15 February 1967 he married Tengku Fauziah binti Almarhum Tengku Abdul Rashid D.K., S.S.P.J., S.P.M.P.(born 6 June 1946 ) at Kota Bharu, Kelantan, daughter of Tengku Abdul Rashid ibni Almarhum Sultan Sulaiman Badrul Alam Shah of Terengganu, by his wife Tengku Kembang Puteri binti Almarhum Sultan Ibrahim Petra of Kelantan, who became the Raja Puan Muda of Perlis. Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin was appointed for the first time as the Regent of Perlis when HRH the Raja of Perlis and HRH the Raja Perempuan of Perlis travelled to the United States and Europe from 23 June 1967 until 24 October 1967. Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin has one son, Tuanku Syed Faizuddin Putra who was (born on 30 December 1967 ) and a daughter Sharifah Fazira, (born on 5 June 1973 ).
Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin has travelled to many countries including United Kingdom, France, Germany, Denmark, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, Egypt, Spain, Libya, the Netherlands, Belgium, Thailand and Saudi Arabia.
Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin is also active in sports. Among his favourite sports are golf, tennis, football and is a fan of Tottenham Hotspur football club. He has been the Chairman of Putra Golf Club, Perlis since May 1971, and the patron of the Association of Football Referees of Perlis since 1967. He was also the Chairman of the Football Association of Perlis for 18 years.
|Ancestors of Sirajuddin of Perlis|
Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin interacts frequently with his people through various fields and heads many social organisations, which are:
- Chairman of the Rayuan Binaan Wisma Pahlawan Negeri Perlis and Chairman of the Exhibition Committee of the Malaysian Royal Armed Forces in Perlis on 1 April 1971.
- Chairman of the Association of Malaysian Ex-Servicemen, Perlis branch for five years.
- Chairman of the Rayuan Derma Hari Pahlawan Negeri Perlis since 1972.
- Patron of 4B Youth Movement of Perlis.
Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin is renowned for his dedication towards his people and takes great interest in education. With the establishment of the Tuanku Syed Putra Foundation in 1986, many Perlis students have been able to further their studies locally and abroad. Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin is the Chairman of this foundation.
Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin became directly involved in religious affairs when he was appointed President of the Islamic Council of Perlis by the late Almarhum Tuanku Syed Putra, the then ruler of Perlis, Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin is especially concerned that the religious affairs of the state are based on the ‘Ahlis Sunnah Waljamaah’ doctrine. In this regard, Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin is constantly in touch with the religious leaders of Perlis.
- Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin held the rank of Marshal of the Royal Malaysian Air Force, Admiral of the Fleet, Royal Malaysian Navy and Field Marshal, Malaysian Army  in light of his duties as Supreme Commander of the Malaysian Armed Forces, thus becoming the third royal ruler to rise from the ranks as an active military officer to the rank of supreme commander-in-chief.
- Knight Grand Cross of the Grand Order of King Tomislav (Croatia - 5 February 2002).
He has been awarded:
Honours of Perlis
- Founding Grand Master of the Royal Family Order of Perlis (since 17 May 2001)
- Grand Master of the Perlis Family Order of the Gallant Prince Syed Putra Jamalullail (since 17 April 2000)
- Grand Master of the Order of Dato Bendahara Sri Jamalullail (since 2006)
- Grand Master of the Order of the Gallant Prince Syed Sirajuddin Jamalullail (since 2001)
- Grand Master of the Order of Prince Syed Sirajuddin Jamalullail of Perlis (since 2005)
- Order of the Gallant Prince Syed Putra Jamalullail : Knight Grand Companion (SSPJ, 4.12.1995) and Grand Master (since 17 April 2000)
- Grand Master of the Order of the Crown of Perlis (since 17 April 2000)
Honours of Malaysia
- Malaysia (as Yang di-Pertuan Agong of Malaysia) :
- Recipient of the Order of the Royal House of Malaysia (DKM, 13.12.2001)
- Order of the Crown of the Realm : Recipient (DMN, 17.4.2000) and Grand Master (13.12.2001 – 12.12.2006)
- Grand Master of the Order of the Defender of the Realm (13.12.2001 – 12.12.2006)
- Grand Master of the Order of Loyalty to the Crown of Malaysia (13.12.2001 – 12.12.2006)
- Grand Master of the Order of Merit of Malaysia (13.12.2001 – 12.12.2006)
- Grand Master of the Order for Important Services (Malaysia) (13.12.2001 – 12.12.2006)
- Grand Master of the Order of the Royal Household of Malaysia (13.12.2001 – 12.12.2006)
- Johor :
- Knight Grand Commander of the Order of the Crown of Johor (SPMJ)
- Kedah :
- Member of the Royal Family Order of Kedah (DK, 21.1.2002)
- Kelantan :
- Recipient of the Royal Family Order or Star of Yunus (DK, 2002)
- Negeri Sembilan :
- Member of the Royal Family Order of Negeri Sembilan (DKNS, 19.7.2001)
- Pahang :
- Member 1st class of the Family Order of the Crown of Indra of Pahang (DK I, 26.10.2005)
- Perak :
- Selangor :
- First Class of the Royal Family Order of Selangor (DK I, 14.12.2002)
- Terengganu :
- Brunei : Recipient of the Royal Family Order of the Crown of Brunei (DKMB, 11.8.2002)
- Cambodia :
- Croatia : Recipient of the Grand Order of King Tomislav
- France : Grand Croix of the National Order of the Legion of Honour (8.5.2004)
- Finland : Commander Grand Cross with Collar of Order of the White Rose of Finland (19.9.2005)
- Italy : Knight Grand Cross with Collar of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic (9.6.2003)
- Japan :
- Saudi Arabia : Collar of Badr Chain
- Singapore : Order of Temasek (DUT, 11.4.2005)
- Sweden : Knight of the Royal Order of the Seraphim
- Syria : Order of Umayyad (7.5.2004)
- The Royal Ark, Perlis, p.5
- List of Malay rulers (as of January 2013) with details of orders
(Sultan of Selangor)
|Yang di-Pertuan Agong
(King of Malaysia)
Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin
(Sultan of Terengganu)
Tuanku Syed Putra
|Raja of Perlis