|Cincinnati Reds – No. 16|
January 7, 1991 |
|Bats: Switch||Throws: Right|
|April 3, 2014 for the Cincinnati Reds|
(through April 6, 2014)
|Runs batted in||1|
Barnhart attended Brownsburg High School in Brownsburg, Indiana, and played for the school's baseball team. He committed to attend the Georgia Institute of Technology on a baseball scholarship, to play for the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. In his senior year at Brownsburg, he was named "Mr. Baseball" for the state of Indiana.
Heading into the 2009 MLB Draft, Baseball America rated Barnhart as the best available player from Indiana. Due to his commitment to Georgia Tech, he fell to the tenth round, when he was chosen by the Cincinnati Reds with the 299th overall selection. Barnhart opted to sign with the Reds, rather than enroll at Georgia Tech.
In 2010, he played for the Billings Mustangs of the Rookie-level Pioneer League. In 2011, he played for the Dayton Dragons of the Class A Midwest League. He spent the 2012 season with the Bakersfield Blaze of the Class A-Advanced California League and Pensacola Blue Wahoos of the Class AA Southern League. He played for Pensacola in 2013, and was named a Southern League All-Star.
Barnhart was added to the Reds 40-man roster on November 20, 2013. With Devin Mesoraco beginning the 2014 season on the disabled list, Barnhart made the Reds' 2014 Opening Day roster, as a backup to Brayan Peña. Barnhart made his major league debut on April 3. He was optioned to the Louisville Bats of the Class AAA International League on April 7, when Mesoraco was activated.
- "Reds see promise in 5-foot-8 Dragons catcher". www.springfieldnewssun.com. May 16, 2011. Retrieved November 13, 2013.
- "The Times of Noblesville, IN | Brownsburg catcher Tucker Barnhart is this year's Mr. Baseball". Thetimes24-7.com. July 14, 2009. Retrieved November 13, 2013.
- "Even as a little kid, Brownsburg (Ind.) catcher Tucker Barnhart was happy to do whatever might help him become a big leaguer. Now the state's best player is closer than ever to fulfilling his dreams. - ESPN". Espn.go.com. June 29, 2009. Retrieved November 13, 2013.
- Dorsey, Patrick (August 1, 2009). "LOCAL0503 | Indianapolis Star". indystar.com. Retrieved December 14, 2013.
- Burke, Kevin (January 2, 2013). "Three Blue Wahoos Named Southern League All-Stars | Pensacola Blue Wahoos News". Milb.com. Retrieved December 14, 2013.
- "Reds add four, reach limit on 40-man roster". Cincinnati.reds.mlb.com. November 20, 2013. Retrieved December 14, 2013.
- Schmetzer, Mark (March 29, 2014). "Bell, Bernadina, Barnhart, Soto to break with Reds". MLB.com. Retrieved April 3, 2014.
- "Brownsburg's Tucker Barnhart elated to be playing for Reds". Indystar.com. March 31, 2014. Retrieved April 8, 2014.
- 6:14 p.m. EDT April 2, 2014 (April 2, 2014). "Tucker Barnhart scheduled to debut Thursday". Cincinnati.com. Retrieved April 8, 2014.
- "Reds activate Mesoraco, demote Barnhart". chicagotribune.com. Sports Network. April 7, 2014. Retrieved April 8, 2014.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or Baseball-Reference, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)