Tulare Union High School
|Tulare Union High School|
|School district||Tulare Joint Union High School|
|Principal||Dr. Michelle Nunley|
Tulare Union High School Auditorium and Administration Building
|Location||755 E. Tulare Ave., Tulare, California|
|Area||less than one acre|
|Architect||Coates, W.D.; Ochs, W.J.|
|NRHP Reference #||
|Added to NRHP||December 17, 1999|
Tulare Union High School is a public school for secondary education in Tulare, California, USA. The school's mascot is the Redskins. This high school is part of the Tulare Joint Union High School District, along with Tulare Western High School and Mission Oak High School, led by Superintendent Dr. Sarah Koligian.
The school has grown steadily since the 1980s with expanding local land development and corresponding general population. In 1989 the Tulare Joint Union High School District retained the firm of Earth Metrics to forecast district growth and analyze the facility needs of the system in future years. In the 1980s the California Legislature changed the rules governing school facilities financing by authorizing school districts to directly levy School Impact Fees (sometimes called "Developer Fees"), and by deeming the School Facilities Act the exclusive means by which cities and counties can address the overcrowding of schools. Thus at that time the district forecast the future enrollment and established appropriate development fees to finance forecast facilities needs to expand Tulare Union High School and other District facilities.
The Administration Building and the school's Tulare Community Auditorium are listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
School colors are cardinal and gold, and its athletic teams compete in the six-team East Yosemite League. The campus is home to the 5,450-seat Bob Mathias Stadium, dedicated in 1977 to honor the two-time Olympic decathlon champion. The campus is also home to Sim Iness Gymnasium, dedicated in 1994 to honor the Olympic discus champion and former World Record holder. Approximate enrollment at the four-year high school is 1,850.
The following alumni attended Tulare Union High School and attained notability thereafter:
- Marquess Wilson - NFL Wide Receiver for the Chicago Bears
- Bryce Harris - Former NFL Offensive Tackle for the New Orleans Saints
- Bryan Allen, pedal-powered aircraft pilot
- Max Choboian, Former NFL quarterback for the Denver Broncos
- Zac Diles, NFL linebacker currently a free agent
- Dominique Dorsey, Former Canadian Football League player
- Freddie Ford, Former NFL player
- Virgil Green, NFL tight end for the Denver Broncos
- Sim Iness, Olympic discus gold medalist, 1952
- Vic Lombardi, Former MLB pitcher for the Brooklyn Dodgers/Pittsburgh Pirates
- Bob Mathias, Olympic decathlon gold medalist (1948 & 1952) and former U.S. Congressman
- Devin Nunes, Republican Party (United States), United States House of Representatives, California's 21st congressional district
- Maurice Preston, Four star General, U.S. Air Force
- Elmo Zumwalt, Admiral, U.S. Navy
Iness and Mathias are a rare combination when two Olympic Gold Medalists were produced by the same high school, simultaneously. Iness and Mathias were classmates in the graduating class of 1948, as well as teammates on both the football and track and field squads. Both individuals would also go on to win gold medals in the same Olympic Games.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- Tulare High School Website
- Tulare County Office of Education Official Site
- Relation of Commerce and Housing and the Need for Additional High School Facilities in the Tulare Joint Union High School District, Earth Metrics Incorporated, September, 1989
- California Government Code Section 65970 et seq.
- California Assembly Bill 2926, 1986 Stats. Chapter 887
- Tulare Union High School Digital Hall of Fame