Tulsa Roughnecks FC
|Full name||Tulsa Roughnecks FC|
|Co-Chairmen||Dale & Jeff Hubbard|
|Website||Club home page|
Tulsa Roughnecks FC is an upcoming American professional soccer team based in Tulsa, Oklahoma. They are scheduled to compete in USL Pro starting in the 2015 season. Jeff and Dale Hubbard, co-owners of the Tulsa Drillers minor league baseball franchise, were announced as co-owners on December 18, 2013. The team got the Roughnecks name thanks to overwhelming support in a "name the team" contest held in February 2014.
The franchise will be owned and operated by the Tulsa Drillers, a double-A minor league baseball club playing in the Texas League. The Drillers' co-chairs, brothers Jeff and Dale Hubbard, will serve as co-chairs of the unnamed soccer club. Prodigal, LLC., owner of Oklahoma City Energy FC, another USL Pro club, will serve as a minority owner.
On February 26, 2014, it was announced that the team would be known as Tulsa Roughnecks FC, paying homage to the original Roughnecks which played in the original North American Soccer League from 1978 until the league folded in 1984 (and were best known for winning Soccer Bowl '83).
The team will play at ONEOK Field. a 7,833 seat stadium that is also home to the Drillers.
- "Tulsa to Join USL PRO in 2015" (Press release). United Soccer Leagues. December 18, 2013. Retrieved January 30, 2014.
- "Tulsa USL PRO soccer franchise holds contest to name team". Tulsa World (Tulsa, OK: World Publishing Company). January 26, 2014. Retrieved January 30, 2014.
- Bailey, Eric (February 26, 2014). "Fans vote to resurrect Roughnecks name for new Tulsa pro soccer team". Tulsa World (Tulsa, OK: World Publishing Company). Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- Moss, John (December 18, 2013). "Professional Soccer Is Returning To Tulsa". Tulsa, OK: KTUL-TV. Retrieved January 30, 2014.
- Brown, Mike (December 19, 2013). "Pro soccer headed to ONEOK Field in 2015". Tulsa World (Tulsa, OK: World Publishing Company). Retrieved January 30, 2014.