Tumbling Down (Tessanne Chin song)
|Single by Tessanne Chin|
|from the album Count on My Love|
|Released||December 17, 2013|
|Writer(s)||Ryan Tedder, Noel Zancanella, MoZella, Lil' Eddie|
|Tessanne Chin singles chronology|
"Tumbling Down" is the coronation song of The Voice Season 5 winner Tessanne Chin. The song is written by Ryan Tedder of OneRepublic and serves as Chin's first official single after her win, although she has had some unofficial independent singles released earlier in her career and some of her performances on the show have charted. It is the first track on Chin's major label debut album, Count on My Love.
After signing on as The Voice's first-ever in-house producer and songwriter, Ryan Tedder and his songwriting partner Noel Zancanella penned "Tumbling Down" for the winner of Season 5 of The Voice. After admittedly having difficulty writing for the three potential winners, they decided to roll the dice and write the song with Tessanne Chin in mind, based on her prior success on the iTunes charts. With a personal dislike for traditional "this is my moment" American Idol-esque coronation songs, Tedder and his partner instead opted to write a song people can relate to that they would pitch to artists of the caliber of Rihanna or Kelly Clarkson.
The song is an original composition for the winner of The Voice, only the second after Javier Colon's song "Stitch by Stitch" in Season 1. The winner's songs from the previous seasons were all covers of well-known hits, namely: "I Believe I Can Fly" by R. Kelly performed by Season 2 winner Jermaine Paul, "Cry" by Faith Hill performed by Season 3 winner Cassadee Pope, and "Born to Fly" by Sara Evans performed by Season 4 winner Danielle Bradbery.
On December 18, 2013, the night after winning Season 5 of The Voice, Chin performed "Tumbling Down" on The Jay Leno Show. The following day, during her extensive post-victory media run, she performed the song on a variety of stages, including Live! with Kelly and Michael, Entertainment Weekly, and Access Hollywood. On December 30, 2013, she performed the song on KTLA. Joined by runner-ups Jacquie Lee and Will Champlin, she performed the song at the annual Rose Bowl Parade on January 1, 2014 atop the first ever The Voice float. On January 4, 2014, she performed a reggae-flavored remix of the song during her set at reggae/dancehall star Shaggy's benefit concert Shaggy and Friends. On January 25, 2014, she performed the song at Lure Nightclub in Hollywood for an audience of label and publishing executives as well as media.
- "MTV.com: 'The Voice' Crowns Season-Five Winner". MTV News. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- "Yahoo Music: Ryan Tedder on Why He Hates ‘American Idol’ Coronation Songs". Yahoo Music. 19 December 2013. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- "The Voice winner Tessanne Chin performs Tumbling Down - Kelly & Michael Show". Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- "The Voice on EW: Full Interview with Tessanne Chin". YouTube. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- "‘The Voice’ Winner Tessanne Chin Performs Live!". KTLA. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- "Tessanne Chin on The Voice Float at the Rose Parade". YouTube. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- "jamaicalive". Ustream. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- Phil Gallo, Billboard (26 January 2014). "Grammys: Lorde, Kacey Musgraves, Robin Thicke Play UMG Party". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
Born to Fly
|The Voice (U.S. TV series) Winner's song
Season 5 (Winter 2013)
Set Fire to the Rain