Turn 2 Foundation
|Key people||Derek Jeter, Dr. S. Charles Jeter,Dorothy C. Jeter,Sharlee Jeter,|
|Area served||West Michigan, Tampa, Fla., and New York City|
|Mission||Turn 2's mission is to create and support signature programs and activities that motivate young people to turn away from drugs and alcohol and "Turn 2" healthy lifestyles. Through these ventures, the Foundation strives to create outlets that promote and reward academic excellence, leadership development, and positive behavior. Turn 2's goal is to see the children of these programs grow safely and successfully into adulthood and become the leaders of tomorrow|
The Turn 2 Foundation is a charity organization founded by New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter in 1996. The Foundation was established to help children and teenagers avoid drug and alcohol addiction, and to reward those who show high academic achievement and adopt healthier lifestyles. Members of Jeter's family make up a large portion of the foundation's board of directors, including his father, Dr. S. Charles Jeter, who is President of the foundation and responsible for much of its day-to-day running.
Mission and scope
The mission statement of the Turn 2 Foundation is "to create and support signature programs and activities that motivate young people to turn away from drugs and alcohol and 'TURN 2' healthy lifestyles."
Growing up in Kalamazoo, Michigan, Jeter witnessed firsthand the value of community service. His favorite ballplayer, former Yankee Dave Winfield, had his own foundation which promoted health, education and self-esteem among thousands of young people. "When I make it," said Jeter, "that's what I'm going to do."
Jeter proposed the idea of starting his own foundation to his father in 1996. The Jeter family began forming the foundation over pizza in a Detroit, Michigan hotel room. The organization's name was chosen, besides the baseball reference to a double play (and Jeter's uniform number), to demonstrate the goal of giving youths a place to "turn to", besides drugs and alcohol.
- "DerekJeter.com — Turn 2 Foundation". Retrieved 2008-04-26.
- "DerekJeter.com — Turn 2 Foundation — Factsheet". Retrieved 2008-04-26.
- Ian O'Connor, For Yanks' Jeter, life is beautiful, Westchester Journal News, October 26, 1999. Accessed 17 May 2008.
- Turn 2 Us - Derek Jeter Gives Kids Someone to Turn 2 MLB.com
- "DerekJeter.com — Turn 2 Foundation — Overview". Retrieved 2008-04-26.
- Turn 2 Foundation Mission Statement MLB.com
- "Sports Philanthropy Project: Derek Jeter — Turn 2 Foundation". Retrieved 2008-04-26.
- "DerekJeter.com — Turn 2 Foundation — Grant Information". Retrieved 2008-04-26.
- Jack Curry, Baseball: Doing a Good Turn, The New York Times, December 24, 1997. Accessed 17 May 2008.
- Marc Topkin, Celebrities help Jeter support area groups, St. Petersburg Times, January 20, 2004. Accessed 17 May 2008.
- Marc Topkin, Jeter sponsors new program for teenagers, St. Petersburg Times, January 29, 2008. Accessed 17 May 2008.
- Turn 2 Foundation Official site