Turn to Stone
|"Turn to Stone"|
|Single by Electric Light Orchestra|
|from the album Out of the Blue|
|Released||29 October 1977 (UK)
November 1977 (US)
(Munich, Germany); 1977
|Genre||Electronic rock, symphonic rock|
|Electric Light Orchestra singles chronology|
"Turn to Stone" is a 1977 song by Electric Light Orchestra (ELO).
The song is the opening track to the double album Out of the Blue. It was the first song released as a single from the LP. The single reached number 18 in the United Kingdom charts and stayed there for 12 weeks. Out of four singles from the album, "Turn to Stone" was the only song not to reach the top ten in the UK singles charts. The song reached number 13 in the United States and number one in Canada in early 1978.
On 4 November 2008, Lynne was awarded a BMI (Broadcast Music, Inc) Million-Air certificate for "Turn to Stone" for having one million airplays.
Allmusic reviewer Zachary Curd called the song "Essentially a love song, "Turn to Stone" is orchestrated, computerized, epic rock music courtesy of Jeff Lynne." The song was also reviewed by allmusic reviewer Donald A. Guarisco who stated "This dynamic opener from the Out of the Blue album is a good example of Electric Light Orchestra’s skill for mixing string-laden pop hooks with driving rock and roll. He also stated "It also works in an array of swirling string lines that dart in and out of the mix and some dazzling falsetto harmonies that interact with Lynne’s lead vocal in call-and-response style".
In popular culture
The song is also featured in the movie Detroit Rock City.
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||17|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||30|
|Canadian RPM Top Singles||9|
|Germany (Media Control AG)||32|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||11|
|Netherlands (Mega Single Top 100)||23|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||21|
|South African Chart||17|
|UK (Official Charts Company)||18|
|US Billboard Hot 100||13|
|US Cash Box Top 100 Singles||11|
|US Record World Singles||9|
|US Billboard Year-End||94|
Jeff Lynne version
|"Turn to Stone"|
|Song by Electric Light Orchestra from the album Mr. Blue Sky: The Very Best of Electric Light Orchestra|
|Released||8 October 2012 (UK)
9 October 2012 (US)
|Recorded||2001–2012 Bungalow Palace|
|Mr. Blue Sky: The Very Best of Electric Light Orchestra track listing|
- Donald A. Guarisco. "Turn to Stone review on Allmusic". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 3 July 2013.
Electronic rock : "a textured but energetic arrangement that builds itself on a staccato synthesizer bass line, churning acoustic guitar, and Bev Bevan’s metronomic drum work."
Symphonic rock : "an array of swirling string lines that dart in and out of the mix and some dazzling falsetto harmonies"
- Mike DeGagne. "Strange Magic: The Best of Electric Light Orchestra review on Allmusic". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 3 July 2013. "the computerized texture of both "Turn to Stone" and "Sweet Talkin' Woman.""
- "1977 Top 40 Official UK Singles Archive - 10th December 1977". Offfical Charts Company. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- "Electric Light Orchestra - Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- Writer Russell T Davies, Director Dan Zeff, Producer Phil Collinson (17 June 2006). "Love & Monsters". Doctor Who. BBC. BBC One.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, New South Wales: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Ultratop.be – Electric Light Orchestra – Turn To Stone" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Turn to stone in Canadian Top Singles Chart". Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- "Electric Light Orchestra - Turn To Stone". Charts.de. Media Control.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Electric Light Orchestra search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Electric Light Orchestra – Turn To Stone" (in Dutch). Mega Single Top 100.
- "Charts.org.nz – Electric Light Orchestra – Turn To Stone". Top 40 Singles.
- "South African Rock Lists Website - SA Charts 1969 - 1989 Acts (E)". Rock.co.za. Retrieved 29 April 2013.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Electric Light Orchestra – Turn To Stone". Singles Top 60.
- Hawtin, Steve. "Song artist 171 - Electric Light Orchestra". Tsort.info. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- "Releases : elo - Mr. Blue Sky - The Very Best of Electric Light Orchestra". Elo.biz. 5 October 2012. Retrieved 28 February 2013.
http://www.allmusic.com/song/turn-to-stone-t1934686 Donald A. Guarisco review
http://www.allmusic.com/song/turn-to-stone-t824270 Zachary Curd's review