Tustin High School
"A History of Excellence, A Future of Promise"
|Tustin High School|
|1171 El Camino Real
Tustin, CA, 92780-4660
|Motto||"A History of Excellence – A Future of Promise"|
|School district||Tustin Unified School District|
|Website||Tustin High School|
Tustin High School is a public secondary school located in Tustin, California. Tustin High is a part of Tustin Unified School District and was originally founded in 1921 as Tustin Union High School.
Tustin High School is officially a Title I school and has been a California Distinguished School. Additionally, it has been recognized by Newsweek Magazine as one of the top 600 high schools in the nation 7 years in a row.
Founded in 1921 as Tustin Union High School because it served five elementary districts, Tustin High School was a stately two story structure surrounded by miles of orange groves and other agri-businesses, thus the school mascot, Tustin "Tillers." In 1966, construction crews rebuilt Tustin High to a one story sprawling campus to ensure the integrity of structures during a major earthquake.
The football stadium was constructed at the 440 track in the mid-1940s. The stadium and field were later named “Northrup Field” after Orville Northrup, who taught woodshop and physical education, and served as Principal of Tustin Union High School from 1941 to 1962.
Tustin High School is located on thirty-eight acres of land in the middle of the City of Tustin. Today's campus consists of twenty-two single-story buildings, a two story science building and seventeen portable classrooms. The campus also includes two baseball fields, two softball fields, a discus field and two gymnasiums. It also houses the District football field and twin stadiums with a permanent cafeteria, an Olympic-sized swimming pool, two soccer fields, six tennis courts and a synthetic track and field.
In June 2008, the Tustin school board approved a master plan that would guide the possible renovations of Tustin High School or the construction of a new campus. The plan would include a new administration building, a 2-story science center, a new gym, and a 2-story performing arts theater and classroom building. The estimated cost of the renovation was put at around $150 million.
Since 2008, the new student quad, known as the 'plaza' has been completed. Construction of the Science Center has also begun. In addition to the renovation plans approved by the Tustin school board, future projects also include modernization of the cafeteria, improvement of special education and mathematics classrooms, and construction of a new Library/Multimedia classroom building.
In December 2012, construction at Northrup Stadium was begun. The updated stadium features a synthetic field with the words "Northrup" and "Stadium" in its end zones along with a 9-line synthetic track. Also, the new stadium will feature a new permanent visitor's bleachers seating up to 1,000, new restrooms and concessions stand, new scoreboard, and new stadium lighting (Musco). The playing field and lighting were completed in time for the June 2013 graduation ceremonies. Construction is to be completed by Fall 2013 in time for the football season.
Tustin High School Sports
Beau Bell (Cleveland), Chris Chester (Baltimore), DeShaun Foster (San Francisco), Matt McCoy (Tampa Bay), and Frostee Rucker (Cincinnati). The totals were based on the 1,693-man 2008 NFL Kickoff Weekend rosters (September 4, 7-8).
Tustin High Dance Team and All-Male Dance Team
Although the THS Dance Team is an applied art credit, it receives no funding from the Tustin Unified School District. They are completely funded by dancer families and numerous fundraisers & hosted events. Without the donations of the community and the hard work of the team's booster club, having this team would not be possible. The THS Dance Team has won two International titles (1999 & 2003) and 28 U.S. Championship and National titles through the National Dance Alliance, the United Spirit Association, & Sharp International and the 2003 National Dance Alliance wall of fame for Varsity Dance Kick. . The Tustin High Dance Team is mainly dancers that start out with little to no dance experience, however manage to appear as if previous studio dancers. The current coaches are Coach Nielsen and Coach Kaylee for the girl's dance team and the All-Male Dance Team is coached by Coach Aldanese who continue to coach because of their passion for dance and their beliefs in spreading that passion to young students. The 2012-2013 team has also received many trophies throughout its lucrative competition season, with the Girls' Dance Team winning two national titles by the end of the season. The 2013-2014 Tustin Dance Team once again regained their title of State Champions in Small Female Hip Hop at CADTD State Championships. Afterwards, they won two national titles at MDDTUSA 2014 in Small Female Hip Hop and Kick. Kick also received 3rd place Grand Championship out of 200 routines! The Tustin All Male Dance Team also won their first national title in Medium Male Hip Hop.
Michael "Mike" Cavic - Olympic Swimmer
While at Tustin High School, olympic swimmer Milorad Čavić set eight school and four state records while winning seven CIF state titles. Born on May 31, 1984 in Anaheim, California, Cavic is a citizen of both Serbia and the United States. In 2002 he was named the National High School Swimmer of the Year, set a high school record in the 50-yard freestyle and won a U.S. National Title in the 100-meter fly. Cavic participated in the Summer Olympic Games of 2000, 2004, 2008, and 2012 respresenting Yugoslavia, Serbia & Montenegro, and Serbia.
- Sam Baker, NFL offensive tackle for the Atlanta Falcons.
- Beau Bell, Canadian Football League linebacker for the BC Lions
- Heath Bell, MLB all-star Pitcher for the San Diego Padres.
- Milorad Čavić, Freestyle & butterfly swimmer in the 2000, 2004, 2008, and 2012 Summer Olympics.
- Chris Chester, NFL lineman for the Washington Redskins.
- DeShaun Foster, former NFL running back for the Carolina Panthers and the San Francisco 49ers.
- Evelyn Furtsch, Olympic Gold Medalist, 4x100 Relay, 1932 Summer Olympics.
- Doug Gottlieb, host of The Doug Gottlieb Show and former NCAA collegiate basketball player.
- Mark Grace, former MLB all-star first baseman for the Chicago Cubs.
- Shawn Green former MLB all-star outfielder & designated hitter for the Toronto Blue Jays , L.A. Dodgers, Arizona Diamondbacks, and New York Mets.
- Matt McCoy, NFL linebacker for the Seattle Seahawks.
- Rick Partridge, NFL punter for the New Orleans Saints, San Diego Chargers and Buffalo Bills.
- Frostee Rucker, NFL defensive end for the Cincinnati Bengals and the Cleveland Browns.
- Dave Staton, MLB First baseman for the San Diego Padres 
- Jim Steffen, NFL safety for the Detroit Lions and the Washington Redskins.
- Richard Umphrey III, former NFL center for the San Diego Chargers and New York Giants.
- Anthony Wilkerson, former running back for the Stanford Cardinal (2010-2013 seasons).
- Eva Angelina, Adult film actress, attended Tustin but graduated elsewhere.
- Cuba Gooding, Jr., actor, Jerry Maguire, attended Tustin but graduated elsewhere.
- Robert David Hall, actor, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation.
- Rachel Kimsey, actress, The Young And The Restless.
- Kim Krizan, writer, Before Sunrise, Before Sunset.
Other notable graduates
- Dan Choi, US Army officer, activist against the US Military's Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy.
- David C. Leestma, astronaut and current director of flight crew operations at the Johnson Space Center.
- Scott Storey, Emmy Award-winning television set designer.
- Tustin High School History
- High School - NFL players
- Tustin Pounds Out Title Victory
- OC Register dance results
- THS Dance
- NDA Wall of Fame
- Milorad Čavić bio
- Clarey, Christopher (December 31, 2008). "A touch away, Cavic accepts his fate". The New York Times.
- Milorad Čavić - Wikipedia
- Heath Bell
- Milorad Čavić
- Chris Chester
- DeShaun Foster
- Evelyn Furtsch
- Louise Mead Tricard (1996). American women's track and field: a history, 1895 through 1980. Jefferson, NC, USA: McFarland. p. 200.
- Doug Gottlieb
- Mark Grace
- Shawn Green
- Matt McCoy
- Frostee Rucker
- Dave Staton
- Richard Umphrey
- Eva Angelina
- Cuba Gooding, Jr.
- Robert David Hall
- Rachel Kimsey bio
- Dan Choi
- David C. Leestma
- Scott Storey