|Headquarters||New York City, New York, USA|
Mandy Ginsberg, CEOGeorge Cigale, Founder & Chairman
|Products||Online Tutoring, Education, Career Help, Homework Help|
|Slogan||Tutor.com is the #1 online homework help and tutoring service.|
Tutor.com is an online tutoring company that connects students to tutors in an online classroom. The service offers on-demand and schedule tutoring to students in grades 4 through 12 and college. Users can connect with live tutors online in more than 40 subjects including math, science, essay writing, foreign language and test prep. Since launching in 1998, the company has facilitated over 11 million tutoring sessions with approximately 3,000 tutors.
Tutor.com was founded in 1998 by George Cigale. In its early years, the company focused on partnerships with libraries across the United States who would provide online tutoring to their patrons. The company has since expanded to multiple markets including colleges, universities, employee benefits, the United States Department of Defense and also consumer services for families to purchase directly.
The company has been featured prominently in the The Wall Street Journal, Forbes, The New York Times and CNN when discussing the increasing trend of on-demand tutoring and educational technology.
Tutor.com is located at IAC headquarters in Manhattan, New York.
Tutor.com was founded by George Cigale in 1998 who served as CEO through April 2013. Later serving as Founder and Chairman.
In April 2013 Mandy Ginsberg took over as CEO. Ginsberg previously served as CEO of Match.com. Ginsberg often appears in the press to discuss the increasing trend of online tutoring and the issues that families face when it comes to homework and preparing for college. Notable appearances include the The Today Show segment "What You Need to Know About Tutors" and Parenting.com's article "Key Signs Your Child May Need a Tutor."
Tutor.com was awarded a Parents’ Choice Gold Award in 2008 and 2009, named to Deloitte’s Technology Fast 50 Program for the New York Region in 2006 and 2007, was honored as one of the 25 Best Small Companies for Women 2007 by Working Mother and ranked in the Inc. 5,000 list of the fastest growing private companies in America by Inc. Magazine in 2007 and 2008. In May 2014 Tutor.com was awarded a SIIA CODiE Award for Best Postsecondary Personalized Learning Solution. Tutor.com is also a Microsoft Gold Certified Partner and achieved LTI certification as a tool provider from IMS Global.
Since 2008 the program expanded to various branches within the U.S. Military. Currently, Tutor.com for U.S. Military Families is a program funded by the Department of Defense MWR Library Program, the Navy General Library Program and the Yellow Ribbon Reintegration Program. The program provides eligible military service members and their dependents free access to 24/7 online tutoring through Tutor.com.
In January 2014 Tutor.com was selected by the United States Department of Defense to help the Advanced Distributed Learning Initiative (ADL) develop strategies to improve training programs at the DoD. Over 250,000 physics and algebra Tutor.com tutoring sessions will be analyzed for research.
- Chozick, Amy. "IAC Is Set to Announce Acquisition of Tutor.com". The New York Times. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- Shellenbarger, Sue. "The Invasion of the Online Tutors". online.wsj.com. The Wall Street Journal.
- Crotty, James Marshall. "Can Online Tutoring Reverse America's Academic Decline?". www.forbes.com. Forbes.
- Slatalla, Michelle. "On Demand, on Time and for a Fee, an Army of Tutors Appears". www.nytimes.com. The New York Times.
- Armstrong, Mario. "Online homework help". www.cnn.com. CNN Newsroom.
- "IAC Appoints Mandy Ginsberg to Chief Executive Officer of Tutor.com". online.wsj.com. The Wall Street Journal.
- "What you need to know about tutors". www.today.com. TODAY.
- Ginsberg, Mandy. "Key Signs Your Child May Need a Tutor". www.parenting.com. Parenting.com.
- Parents Choice Award http://www.parents-choice.org/product.cfm?product_id=24057&StepNum=1&award=aw
- Tutor.com Named One of New York's Fastest Growing Technology Companies for Second Consecutive Year in Deloitte's Technology Fast 50 Program http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_2007_Sept_26/ai_n27386834/
- Working Mother Media http://www.workingmothermediainc.com/web;jsessionid=EA4AC71B4958F274236315DCD044C0E8?service=direct/1/ViewArticlePage/dlinkFullArticle2&sp=271&sp=29
- Inc. Magazine http://www.inc.com/inc5000/2007/company-profile.html?id=200721920
- "SIIA Announces CODiE� Award Winners for Software and Services Industry". www.siia.net. SIIA CODiE Awards.
- Fox, Zoe. "9 Dependable Destinations for Online Tutoring". mashable.com. Mashable.
- "The Marine Corps Contracts with Tutor.com to Offer Live Homework Help". www.tutor.com. Tutor.com.
- "In Pursuit of the Best Learning Strategies, the Department of Defense Will Study 250,000 of Tutor.com’s Algebra and Physics Tutoring Sessions". www.tutor.com. Tutor.com.