|• Mayor||Michael Beck (CDU)|
|• Total||90.48 km2 (34.93 sq mi)|
|Elevation||645 m (2,116 ft)|
|• Density||370/km2 (950/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
Tuttlingen is a town in Baden-Württemberg, capital of the district Tuttlingen. Nendingen, Möhringen and Eßlingen are three former municipalities that belong to Tuttlingen. The district (Kreis) includes several surrounding towns including Trossingen, Spaichingen, and Mühlheim an der Donau.
The town is built around the Honberg mountain where ruins of a fortress built in the Middle Ages still stand and are used as a site for festivals and concerts. In 1803, fire destroyed most of the town and only a small section of the original town remains.
Today Tuttlingen has many businessess and considerable industry and is the home for more than 200 surgical equipment companies, including Karl Storz GmbH, Aesculap, Hettich Centrifuges, KLS Martin and Instrumed International Inc. Fifty percent of the world's surgical equipment is manufactured in this town. About 170 manufacturers and sales companies show their products and services in ACIG, a permanent exhibition of surgical instruments and medical appliances, in a space more than 500sqm. Including an exhibition of historical surgical instrumentary, the exhibition is open the whole year round. Entry is free and available to everyone. Tuttlingen is well known for its pedestrian precinct with a market twice a week, a fountain, shops, and art displays.
Each year in summer the festival "Honberg Sommer" is a famous location for fabulous concerts with artists like Art Garfunkel, Garland Jeffreys, Foreigner, Candy Dulfer and The Hooters. Bands, cabaret artists, and beer gardens are all features of the festival available to visitors.
The source of the Danube is located nearby in Donaueschingen and is stream-sized here in comparison to its more famous, grander appearance in Vienna. Tuttlingen is located in Swabia east of the Black Forest region in the Swabian Alps.
The German poet Goethe wrote that the town and surrounding area has a strange and beautiful landscape, hilly with fields and patches of forest. He is said to have left his watch in the town.
Tuttlingen is twinned with:
- Battaglia Terme, Italy
- Bex, Switzerland
- Bischofszell, Switzerland
- Draguignan, France
- Waidhofen an der Ybbs, Austria
- Salford, Great Britain (1960's Pendleton High School)
- [Statistisches Bundesamt – Gemeinden in Deutschland mit Bevölkerung am 31.12.2012 (XLS-Datei; 4,0 MB) (Einwohnerzahlen auf Grundlage des Zensus 2011) "Gemeinden in Deutschland mit Bevölkerung am 31.12.2012"]. Statistisches Bundesamt (in German). 12 November 2013.
- Mahmood F. Bhutta (August 5, 2006), "Fair Trade for Surgical Instruments", BMJ (Clinical research ed.) (BMJ) 333 (7562): 297–9, doi:10.1136/bmj.38901.619074.55, PMC 1526950, PMID 16877453, retrieved 2009-02-09
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tuttlingen.|
- Official Tuttlingen home page (German)
- Notes from Tuttlingen - a description of the surgical instruments industry in the town
|This Tuttlingen district location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|