|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|ISO 3166 code||NO-030112|
Aerial view of Tveit
|• Total||107 km2 (41 sq mi)|
|Created as||Formannskapsdistrikt in 1838|
|Merged into||Kristiansand in 1965|
Tveit is a village and a former municipality in Vest-Agder county in Norway. It is located in the present-day municipality of Kristiansand. Tveit is home to Kristiansand Airport, Kjevik. Tveit is located along the lower part of the Tovdalselva river, known as Topdalselva from the border with Aust-Agder. The population of Tveit is approximately 2,831 (2004).
The municipality (originally the parish) was named after the old Tveit farm (Old Norse: Þveit), since the first church was built there. The name is identical with the word þveit which means "a piece of cleared land cut from a forest". The name spelled differently over the centuries: Tved, Thvet, and Tveid.
Tveit was established as a municipality on 1 January 1838 (see formannskapsdistrikt). On 1 January 1965, the municipalities of Tveit, Oddernes, and Randesund were merged with the town of Kristiansand to form a new, larger municipality of Kristiansand. Prior to the merger, Tveit had a population of 2,802.
- Bernt Balchen (1899–1973) - Norwegian American aviator
- Marcus Gjøe Rosenkrantz - First Minister of Norway (1814–1815)
Former Vice President of the United States, Hubert Humphrey (1911–1978) had family ties to the area, and visited relatives here in 1951 and 1969, and is honored by a memorial stone close to Tveit Church.
In 2010 the Kristiansand Council (kommune) had a vote on which district should have a new sports hall. The 2 finalists were Tveit and Randesund. In a final bid to win the facility, the people from Tveit launched a supporters meeting outside the council offices with about 300 attendees. Randesund supporters were also there numbering about 10. The same day it was announced that Tveit had won the bid.
Therefore a new Tveit sports hall will be built in the coming years with a budget of 20m Kroner. Currently there is a small sports hall in Tveit at the Ve Skole used by various organisations.
In Tveit is also the greatest ski resort in Kristiansand, with ski escalators.
- "Tveit. – kommune" (in Norwegian). Store norske leksikon. Retrieved 2009-11-12.[dead link]
- Harper, Douglas (November 2001). "Thwaite". Online Etymology Dictionary.
- Rygh, Oluf (1912). Norske gaardnavne: Lister og Mandals amt (in Norwegian) (9 ed.). Kristiania, Norge: W. C. Fabritius & sønners bogtrikkeri. p. 1.
- Jukvam, Dag (1999). "Historisk oversikt over endringer i kommune- og fylkesinndelingen" (PDF) (in Norwegian). Statistisk sentralbyrå.
- Tveit Skisenter
- Tveit Snow Ski field (Norwegian)
- Tveit Veterinary Clinic (Norwegian)
- Tveit Boxing Club (Norwegian)
- Tveit Sports Association (Norwegian)
- Kristiansand travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Tveit Historical Society (Norwegian)
- Weather information for Tveit (Norwegian)