Twentynine Palms, California
|City of Twentynine Palms|
|— City —|
|Motto: " A Beautiful Desert Oasis "|
|San Bernardino County and the state of California|
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|• Total||59.143 sq mi (153.179 km2)|
|• Land||59.143 sq mi (153.179 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2) 0%|
|Elevation||1,991 ft (607 m)|
|• Density||420/sq mi ( 160/km2)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature ID||1652804|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 59.1 square miles (153 km2), all land.
The city is in a desert and mountain area. It has an average elevation of 1,991 feet (607 m).
The Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms is located there.
Located in the Mojave Desert of Southern California, the city has experienced some high temperatures. On July 4, 2008 the temperature reached a record 120 °F (49 °C). The record low temperature was 9 °F (−13 °C), established on December 23, 1990.
After decades as a rest stop for wagon travelers on what's called the "Utah Trail" named for a group of Mormon discoverers, the town was established in the 1920s.
There's a small Indian reservation belonging to the Twentynine Palms Band of Mission Indians. The nearby Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms was founded in 1952.
The 2010 United States Census reported that Twentynine Palms had a population of 25,048. The population density was 423.5 people per square mile (163.5/km²). The racial makeup of Twentynine Palms was 17,938 (71.6%) White, 2,063 (8.2%) African American, 329 (1.3%) Native American, 979 (3.9%) Asian, 345 (1.4%) Pacific Islander, 1,678 (6.7%) from other races, and 1,716 (6.9%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5,212 persons (20.8%).
The Census reported that 21,701 people (86.6% of the population) lived in households, 3,347 (13.4%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 0 (0%) were institutionalized.
There were 8,095 households, out of which 3,505 (43.3%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 4,412 (54.5%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 1,041 (12.9%) had a female householder with no husband present, 394 (4.9%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 401 (5.0%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 51 (0.6%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 1,708 households (21.1%) were made up of individuals and 453 (5.6%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.68. There were 5,847 families (72.2% of all households); the average family size was 3.10.
The population was spread out with 6,411 people (25.6%) under the age of 18, 7,512 people (30.0%) aged 18 to 24, 6,396 people (25.5%) aged 25 to 44, 3,277 people (13.1%) aged 45 to 64, and 1,452 people (5.8%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 23.5 years. For every 100 females there were 129.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 139.9 males.
There were 9,431 housing units at an average density of 159.5 per square mile (61.6/km²), of which 2,742 (33.9%) were owner-occupied, and 5,353 (66.1%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 3.6%; the rental vacancy rate was 9.2%. 6,876 people (27.5% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 14,825 people (59.2%) lived in rental housing units.
As of the census of 2000, there were 14,764 people, 5,653 households, and 3,855 families residing in the city. The population density was 269.3 inhabitants per square mile (104.0/km²). There were 6,952 housing units at an average density of 126.8 per square mile (49.0/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 71.0% White, 9.4% African American, 1.5% Native American, 3.8% Asian, 10.2% Pacific Islander, 6.2% from other races, and 6.4% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 14.9% of the population. The Hispanic population has increased 50% since the 2000 census.
There were 5,653 households out of which 39.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.8% were married couples living together, 13.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.8% were non-families. 25.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.6 and the average family size was 3.1.
In the city the population was spread out with 31.2% under the age of 18, 15.2% from 18 to 24, 28.4% from 25 to 44, 16.7% from 45 to 64, and 8.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 27 years. For every 100 females there were 101.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 98.7 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $31,178, and the median income for a family was $32,251. Males had a median income of $25,081 versus $25,141 for females. The per capita income for the city was $14,613. About 13.6% of families and 16.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 25.3% of those under age 18 and 10.0% of those age 65 or over.
In the state legislature Twentynine Palms is located in the 18th Senate District, represented by Republican Jean Fuller, and in the 65th Assembly District, represented by Republican Paul Cook. Federally, Twentynine Palms is located in California's 41st congressional district, which has a Cook PVI of R +9 and is represented by Republican Jerry Lewis.
Twentynine Palms is also home to Mayfield College, which offers a unique career training program specifically designed to prepare active duty service members for a successful career in the Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration (HVAC/R) industry.
Television networks in Twentynine Palms are transmitted from Los Angeles, with some stations being licensed to the Inland Empire. Additionally, stations from Phoenix, Arizona can oftentimes be picked up.
There is one AM station: KNWH a transmitter of KNWQ-1140 KNews Radio – Twentynine Palms (San Bernardino) CA US news/talk, and several FM Stations: KCDZ Z107.7 – Twentynine Palms (San Bernardino) CA US hot ac, Low Power FM Translator and K214CR|r.KCRW-89.9 NPR – Twentynine Palms (San Bernardino) CA US public.
It is located on California State Route 62.
- Allie Wrubel, composer and songwriter, was a resident and composed "The Lady from 29 Palms" while living here.
- Willie Boy, subject of the movie Tell Them Willie Boy Is Here and the book by the same name. He was a Piute-Chemehuevi Indian born in 29 Palms.
In popular culture
The band U2 named one of their most famous and successful albums "The Joshua Tree" after a visit to the national park by the same name, which is at the southern edge of the city of 29 Palms. Songs like "Where the Streets Have No Name" were coined in reference to that very phenomenon, common within this desert area.
Sam Roberts mentions Twentynine Palms in his song "Faultline Blues".
Track two of the album "Places" by Brad Mehldau is named after the city.
Kenny Chesney's "El Cerrito Place" mentions the Joshua Tree National Park as well, "Somehow I wound up in the desert just after day light, where the Joshua Trees grow that little place you always liked."
A portion of an episode called "Tanks for the Memories" from the TV show Home Improvement was filmed at the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms in 1995.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- U.S. Census
- Gudde, Erwin Gustav; Bright, William (1998). California Place Names: The Origin and Etymology of Current Geographical Names (4th ed.). Berkeley, CA: University of California Press. p. 277. ISBN 0-520-24217-3. LCCN 97043168. "Washington ... found 29 'cabbage trees' ... the common name for the Washington palm."
- All data are derived from the United States Census Bureau reports from the 2010 United States Census, and are accessible on-line here. The data on unmarried partnerships and same-sex married couples are from the Census report DEC_10_SF1_PCT15. All other housing and population data are from Census report DEC_10_DP_DPDP1. Both reports are viewable online or downloadable in a zip file containing a comma-delimited data file. The area data, from which densities are calculated, are available on-line here. Percentage totals may not add to 100% due to rounding. The Census Bureau defines families as a household containing one or more people related to the householder by birth, opposite-sex marriage, or adoption. People living in group quarters are tabulated by the Census Bureau as neither owners nor renters. For further details, see the text files accompanying the data files containing the Census reports mentioned above.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Will Gerrymandered Districts Stem the Wave of Voter Unrest?". Campaign Legal Center Blog. Retrieved 2008-02-10.
- Copper Mountain College
- Morongo Unified School District – Home
- Mayfield College
- Desert Trail: About Us
- The Sun Runner: About Us
- Niemann, Greg (2006). "6: Pursuit of a Renegade Indian". Palm Springs Legends: creation of a desert oasis. San Diego, CA: Sunbelt Publications. ISBN 978-0-932653-74-1.
- Alphabetical List of Songs recorded by Frank Sinatra
- IMDB.com retrieved April 26, 2008
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Twentynine Palms, California|
- City of Twentynine Palms Official Website
- Morongo Basin Transit Authority
- Howser, Huell (October 3, 1996). "29 Palms Murals – Visiting (502)". California's Gold. Chapman University Huell Howser Archives.