Venuto al mondo
|Directed by||Sergio Castellitto|
|Screenplay by||Sergio Castellitto & Margaret Mazzantini|
|Story by||Margaret Mazzantini|
|Running time||127 minutes|
- Penélope Cruz as Gemma
- Emile Hirsch as Diego
- Saadet Aksoy as Aska
- Mira Furlan
- Jane Birkin
- Sergio Castellitto as Giuliano
- Branko Djuric as Doctor
- Adnan Haskovic as Gojko
- Isabelle Adriani as Giornalista
Gemma (Penélope Cruz) visits Sarajevo with her son, Pietro (Pietro Castellitto). The two of them had escaped the city sixteen years ago while the boy’s father, Diego (Emile Hirsch) remained behind and later died during the Bosnian War. As she tries to repair her relationship with Pietro, Gemma is forced by revelations to face loss, the cost of war and the redemptive power of love.
About the film, The Hollywood Reporter wrote, "Dripping with floridly phony dialogue that no actor should be forced to speak, this paternity mystery uses the Bosnian conflict as the manipulative backdrop to a preposterously overwrought and overlong melodrama." Variety added that the film had "little to offer beyond some pitiful twists." Screen International went on to write, "director Sergio Castellitto’s adaptation of Margaret Mazzantini’s novel leaves no cliché unturned, yearning for big emotions that are consistently flattened by the lumbering storytelling."
- Lussier, Germain (2012-09-05). "‘Twice Born’ Trailer: Penelope Cruz and Emile Hirsch Star In A Tale Of Motherhood And War". slashfilm.com. Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- Weintraub, Steve (2012-09-17). "Sergio Castellitto TWICE BORN Interview". collider.com. Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- Knegt, Peter (2012-09-05). "TIFF List 2012: A Complete List of All Films at the Toronto International Film Festival". indiewire.com. Retrieved 17 September 2012.