Twiggs County, Georgia
|Twiggs County, Georgia|
Twiggs County Courthouse, Jeffersonville
Location in the state of Georgia
Georgia's location in the U.S.
|Founded||December 14, 1809|
|Named for||John Twiggs|
|• Total||363 sq mi (940 km2)|
|• Land||358 sq mi (927 km2)|
|• Water||4.2 sq mi (11 km2), 1.2%|
|• Density||25/sq mi (10/km²)|
|Time zone||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
Twiggs County is a county located in the U.S. state of Georgia. As of the 2010 census, the population was 9,023. The county seat is Jeffersonville. The county was created on December 14, 1809 and named for American Revolutionary War general John Twiggs.
The Twiggs County Courthouse is located in Jeffersonville.
- Wilkinson County - northeast
- Laurens County - southeast
- Bleckley County - south
- Houston County - southwest
- Bibb County - west
- Jones County - northwest
National protected area
As of the census of 2000, there were 10,590 people, 3,832 households, and 2,862 families residing in the county. The population density was 29 people per square mile (11/km²). There were 4,291 housing units at an average density of 12 per square mile (5/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 54.88% White, 43.65% Black or African American, 0.21% Native American, 0.11% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.25% from other races, and 0.87% from two or more races. 1.06% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 3,832 households out of which 33.40% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.00% were married couples living together, 17.50% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.30% were non-families. 22.30% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.70% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.73 and the average family size was 3.20.
In the county the population was spread out with 27.00% under the age of 18, 9.40% from 18 to 24, 29.00% from 25 to 44, 23.30% from 45 to 64, and 11.30% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 91.80 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.60 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $31,608, and the median income for a family was $38,715. Males had a median income of $31,141 versus $22,057 for females. The per capita income for the county was $14,259. About 15.50% of families and 19.70% of the population were below the poverty line, including 25.20% of those under age 18 and 25.80% of those age 65 or over.
- Philip Cook, Confederate general in the Civil War and postbellum U.S. Congressman.
- Darqueze Dennard, cornerback for the Cincinnati Bengals of the National Football League and former cornerback for the Michigan State Spartans football team. He is the winner of the 2013 Jim Thorpe Award.
- Dudley Mays Hughes, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives, American politician, farmer and railroad executive.
- Chuck Leavell, an American musician and current tree farmer in Twiggs County, Georgia, who was a member of The Allman Brothers Band during the height of their 1970's popularity, a founding member of the jazz-rock combo Sea Level, a frequently-employed session musician, and long-time touring member of The Rolling Stones.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 26, 2014.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 26, 2014.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved June 26, 2014.
- "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 26, 2014.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 26, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
||Jones County||Wilkinson County|
|Houston County||Bleckley County||Laurens County|