|Remix album by Twin Freaks|
|Released||14 June 2005|
0946 3 11300 1 4
|Producer||Paul McCartney & Freelance Hellraiser|
|Paul McCartney chronology|
|Singles from Twin Freaks|
|Encyclopedia of Popular Music|||
History and structure
McCartney and Kerr created the double vinyl album as a continuation of Kerr's collaboration with McCartney from a 2004 tour. Kerr was known at the time for the mash-up album A Stroke of Genius, in 2002. The format of the mashup is that of an extreme remix in which two disparate musical and recording experiences are combined in a manner that goes beyond remix to literally merge or mash up the two songs so that they emerge as something unique or hybridized. The technique sometimes obscures the original source material or so seamlessly blends the divergent elements that disentangling the grafted parts becomes nearly impossible.
Kerr performed a half-hour set prior to McCartney's 2004 gigs in which the Kerr remixed various McCartney tracks into unusual and often unrecognizable forms. Twin Freaks was the outgrowth of these manipulations.
All McCartney tracks are strongly revised and reinvented in the process. Who is responsible for what aspects of the works or their reinvention is unclear. Parts of basic McCartney tracks are vigorously reworked.
The album was produced as a double vinyl release and a digital download in Windows Media Audio (WMA) format. The cover and interior artwork features paintings that are similar in tone and style to artist Willem de Kooning. McCartney knew the late artist, with whom he shared a similar painting style.
"Really Love You", backed with "Lalula", was released as a one-sided 12" single, limited to 500 copies, released on 6 June 2005. A second single, limited to 200 copies, was of "What's that You're Doing" backed with "Rinse the Raindrops".
All songs written by Paul McCartney, except where noted.
- Side one
- "Really Love You" (Paul McCartney/Richard Starkey)– 5:42
- "Long Haired Lady (Reprise)" (P. McCartney/Linda McCartney) – 4:50
- "Rinse the Raindrops" – 3:14
- Side two
- "Darkroom" – 2:30
- "Live and Let Die" (P. McCartney/L. McCartney) – 3:26
- "Temporary Secretary" – 4:12
- Side three
- "What's That You're Doing" (Stevie Wonder/P. McCartney) – 4:57
- "Oh Woman, Oh Why" – 4:19
- "Mumbo" (P. McCartney/L. McCartney) – 5:24
- Side four
- Larkin, Colin (2006). The Encyclopedia of Popular Music (4th edn). New York, NY: Oxford University Press. p. 1257. ISBN 0-19-531373-9.
- "Twin Freaks: Paul Mccartney: Official Music". Amazon.com. Retrieved 20 January 2013.