Two O'Clock Lab Band
The Two O'Clock Lab Band is the second highest level of nine big bands (see One O'Clock Lab Band) of the Jazz Studies Division at the University of North Texas College of Music, a comprehensive music school with the largest enrollment of any music institution accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music, and oldest (and first) in the world offering a degree in jazz studies.
While the One O'Clock is the highest level of the nine Lab Bands; the Two O'Clock has, for several decades, held acclaim as a "destination band" at the University. The Two O'Clock produces professionally engineered albums and, on concert tours, is well received. The Band has a long list of successful alumni musicians who never played with the One O'Clock, some of whom are listed below. "Making" the One O'Clock often is a matter of timing. If, for example, several talented musicians are vying for a certain chair in the One O'Clock, and that chair is held by someone for two years, then a qualified student might likely complete his or her studies playing in another Lab Band.
- 1992, 1993, 1994, 2006 — Down Beat Magazine poll selected the UNT Two O'Clock Lab Band as "Winner" of the Annual Student Music Awards. The band has toured and performed at Walt Disney World. National jazz radio programs, including Pandora, includes recordings from the Two O'Clock Lab Band as well as the One O'Clock.
- 2005 — The Two O'Clock Lab Band was named Down Beat Magazine's best college band for 2005
- 2010 — 33rd Downbeat Annual Student Music Awards: Large Jazz Ensemble, Graduate College Winner (Jay Saunders, Director)
On Pandora's playlist
- Interloper (from The Translucent Two)
- Easy to Love (from The Best of the Big O)
Directed by Jim Riggs
- The Transparent Two (Oct 4, 1994) Seafair Bolo (OCLC 31772581)
- Two O'Clock Jazz Band I (1997) Klavier K 77019 (OCLC 37524078)
- Moon River: The Two O'Clock Jazz Band (1997) CD Klavier
- A Salute to Benny Carter (1999) CD Klavier (K 77028) (OCLC 44714474)
- Two O'Clock Jazz Band II (recorded May 1997, released March 1999) CD Klavier (K 77023) (OCLC 41230616)
- The Translucent Two (2001) CD Klavier (OCLC 50079074)
- The Manne We Love: Gershwin Revisited, with the Steve Houghton Quintet (2002) CD TNC Jazz (OCLC 58838861)
- The Two O'Clock Jazz Band "Live"
- Avenue "C" Jazz, North Texas Jazz, 06032 JR (released 2009; but recorded by the 2005-06 band)
- The Best of the Big O (2005) CD (OCLC 74146713)
- Bruce Hall Jazz Music (2009)
- Denton Texas Jazz Giant, North Texas Jazz, 07052 JR
Directed Jay Saunders
- Jim Riggs (retired 2008)
- Jay Saunders (fall 2008 to present. Also fall semester of 2005, when Jim Riggs was on sabbatical)
Notable Two O'Clock Alumni (who never played in the One O'Clock)
- From the CD Moon River on Amazon (audio only)
- From the CD Transparent Two on Pandora Internet Radio (audio only)
- From the CD "Transparent Two"
- From the CD, Under the Radar (2010)
References and notes
- HEADS Data – Special Report, 2009-10, National Association of Schools of Music Note: For more than 20 years, North Texas Music enrollment has tracked closely to that of Indiana. Institutions that include Berklee, Juilliard, Manhattan School of Music are not among the 627 NASM members. One non-NASM music school has a student enrollment larger than North Texas – Berklee.
North Texas Indiana 2006-07 1,649 1,638 2007-08 1,659 1,633 2008-09 1,608 1,554 2009-10 1,635 1,557
- 33rd Annual Student Music Awards, Downbeat, pg. 80, June 2010