Two whips with shen ring (hieroglyph)
with Shen ring
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shen ring.|
The ancient Egyptian Two Whips with Shen ring hieroglyph, Gardiner sign listed no. S23 is a portrayal of the Shen ring with two Egyptian flails-(Crook and flail); it is a member of the Gardiner subset for "crowns, dress, staves, etc".
A second form of the hieroglyph uses only one whip and shen ring, and implies 'opposite', the opposite of "to unite".
Rosetta Stone usage
- 1–(kheb-nef)("nef": negation of 'united')"...The taxes of them (of the people) and dues of the noble which were standing-(unsettled) from Ta-Mer-t-(Egypt), those that cncerned him he diminished (kheb-nef);..."
- 2–(kheb-nef)(negation of 'united')"....Captured His-Majesty town this .. with strength .. great, he conquered [it].-(kheb-nef)..."
- 3–(kheb-f)"..granted the gods that he should conquer-(kheb-f). Were brought some of them into White Wall (Memphis) at the festival of the receiving behold of the kingdom from his father, slaying by placing [them] upon stake[s] ."
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Leopard head (hieroglyph).|
- Betrò, 1995. Hieroglyphics: The Writings of Ancient Egypt, Two whips with the šnw-ring, p. 215.
- Budge, 1989, (1929). The Rosetta Stone, pp 134, 145, 147.
- Betrò, 1995. Hieroglyphics: The Writings of Ancient Egypt, Betrò, Maria Carmela, c. 1995, 1996-(English), Abbeville Press Publishers, New York, London, Paris (hardcover, ISBN 0-7892-0232-8)
- Budge, 1991. A Hieroglyphic Dictionary to the Book of the Dead, E.A.Wallace Budge, Dover edition, 1991; Original: c 1911 as: A Hieroglyphic Vocabulary to the Theban Recension of the Book of the Dead with an Index to All the English Equivalents of the Egyptian Words, (Kegan Paul, etc. Ltd, London, publisher). Dover: (softcover, ISBN 0-486-23724-5)
- Budge. The Rosetta Stone, E.A.Wallace Budge, (Dover Publications), c 1929, Dover edition(unabridged), 1989. (softcover, ISBN 0-486-26163-8)
- Budge, 1978, (1920). An Egyptian Hieroglyphic Dictionary, E.A.Wallace Budge, (Dover Publications), c 1978, (c 1920), Dover edition, c 1978; cliv-(154) and 1314 pp. (In two volumes) (softcover, ISBN 0-486-23615-3)