Tycho performing in 2012
|Also known as||ISO50|
|Born||1976/1977 (age 37–38)|
|Genres||Ambient, IDM, downtempo, electrogaze, chillwave|
Scott Hansen (born 1976 or 1977), professionally known as Tycho (Tai-ko), is an American ambient music artist and producer from San Francisco, California, who is known as ISO50 for his photographic and design works. As of December 2014, Tycho is signed to, and has released under, Ghostly International, but has also released music on Merck Records and Gammaphone Records. His music is a combination of downtempo vintage-style synthesizers and ambient melodies. The style of his music is very organic, typically incorporating clips of the human element into his songs (i.e. weather broadcasts, simple talking, or even breathing). His song, "Dictaphone's Lament", was used as the track on a music video entitled "Live Life to the Fullest", which was made by and featured on the action cartoon block Toonami. His song "Cascade" (originally made for an Adult Swim/Ghostly International compilation called Ghostly Swim) was played during the final moments of the original 11-year run of Toonami in 2008.
Hansen's music project Tycho is influenced by and has been compared to artists such as DJ Shadow, Ulrich Schnauss and the Scottish electronic music duo, Boards of Canada. His music captures the sound of 1970s analog media while remaining both progressive and futuristic. Themes of nostalgia, longing, childhood and the natural world are interspersed throughout Tycho's work. Brief interludes or vignettes also feature in his earlier work. In Past Is Prologue, Hansen selected and included excerpts from broadcasts accompanied by atmospherics to capture a specific moment or mood. Overall, the mixture of electronic synths, live instrumentation, and old school sound clips creates a very relatable, organic sound.
Until the release of the album Dive, Hansen worked as a solo artist and used the digital audio workstation, Cakewalk Sonar, to work with analog, virtual analog hardware, digital hardware and VSTI synthesizers as well as samples derived from live instrumentation, played by Hansen himself. While creating the album, he switched over to Reaper, a more dynamic program which he credits with allowing him to finish Dive. The album tour had a live band for the first time, hybridizing the electronic music experience with the dynamic energy of a performance featuring live instrumentation. After touring, Hansen decided to permanently open up the solo project, and work both on tour and in the studio alongside two other band members, Zac Brown on bass guitar and guitar and Rory O'Connor on drums. When performing, all the guitars are live, played either by Brown or O'Connor. Bass guitar is also always live, with the exception of the song "Hours". Drums are played live by O'Connor, and lead synthesizers are also live. Hansen often plays guitar while triggering samples with his foot. His goal is to find the balance between the fluid nature of a live show with artists playing physical instruments and the precision and ability to stay true to the album of electronic music.
Live members (Tour)
- Scott Hansen - synthesizers, guitar, bass guitar, visuals, programming
- Zac Brown - bass guitar, guitar
- Rory O'Connor - drums
- Joe Davancens - bass guitar, keyboards, synthesizers
- Sunrise Projector (2004, Gammaphone Records)
- Past is Prologue (2006, Merck Records)
- Dive (2011, Ghostly International)
- Awake (2014, Ghostly International)
- The Science of Patterns (2002/2007, independent/Gammaphone re-release)
- Fragments / Ascension (2013, Ghostly International, split w/ Thievery Corporation)
- "Past is Prologue" 12" sampler (2006, Merck Records)
- "Adrift/From Home" (2008, Ghostly International)
- "The Daydream/The Disconnect" (2007, Ghostly International)
- "Coastal Brake" (2009, Ghostly International)
- "Hours" (2011, Ghostly International)
- "Dive (Radio Edit)" (2011, Ghostly International)
- "Dive" (2012, Ghostly International)
- "Awake" (2013, Ghostly International)
- "Montana" (2014, Ghostly International)
- "Spectre" (2014, Ghostly International)
- "See" (2014, Ghostly International)
- Little Dragon - "Little Man" (Tycho Remix)
- Ulrich Schnauss - "I Take Comfort In Your Ignorance" (Tycho Remix)
- Thievery Corporation - "Fragments" (Tycho Remix)
- Spoon - "Inside Out" (Tycho Remix)
- "I am Scott Hansen, Ask Me Anything" Reddit.
- ISO50 Blog - About ISO50
- Ghostly International - ISO50
- ISO50 Portfolio
- "TOM's Farewell: the End of Toonami". Youtube.com. Retrieved 6 September 2014.
- "Tycho AMA". reddit.com. Retrieved 19 September 2014.
- "The New Live Set". Blog.iso50.com. Retrieved 6 September 2014.
- Tycho - Awake release details
- Tycho Music. ISO50.
- "See" Tycho Music Video
- Little Dragon - Little Man (Remix). Soundcloud.
- Ulrich Schnauss -I Take Comfort In Your Ignorance (Remix). Soundcloud.
- Thievery Corporation - Fragments (Remix). Soundcloud.
- . Soundcloud.