Ty Dolla Sign
|Ty Dolla Sign|
Ty Dolla Sign performing during December 2013
|Birth name||Tyrone Griffin|
|Born||April 13, 1985|
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Genres||Hip hop, R&B|
|Occupation(s)||Rapper, singer-songwriter, producer|
|Labels||Taylor Gang Records, Pu$haz Ink, Atlantic Records|
|Associated acts||Wiz Khalifa, YG|
Tyrone Griffin (born April 13, 1985), better known by his stage name Ty Dolla Sign (stylized as Ty Dolla $ign or Ty$), is an American recording artist and producer from Los Angeles, California. He is currently signed to Wiz Khalifa's Taylor Gang Records and Atlantic Records.
The son of a musician from Lakeside, Ty Dolla $ign originally began his career in music by learning the bass guitar. Since then, he has learned several instruments, from the drums, guitars, and keyboard to the MPC. Earlier in his career, Ty Dolla Sign and his partner Kory signed a record deal with Venus Brown and Buddah Brown Ent. They would release Raw & Bangin Mixtape Vol 2, however that deal fell through, and after that he would meet Los Angeles rapper YG. Ty Dolla Sign's initial claim to fame was through the success of "Toot It and Boot It", a song he both wrote and produced for YG. Both are affiliated with the group Pushaz Ink. In 2011, Ty Dolla $ign released his first single "All Star", featuring Joe Moses with production by Fuego. His song "My Cabana" was ranked in Complex 's Best 50 Songs of 2012 list at #23.
Ty Dolla Sign signed to Atlantic Records in 2012. Then he released the Beach House mixtape on October 1, 2012 and followed with the Beach House 2 mixtape on July 1, 2013, which featured guest appearances by Too $hort, Wiz Khalifa, Juicy J, and Kirko Bangz among others. The following day it was revealed he was signed to Wiz Khalifa's Taylor Gang Records. The Beach House mixtape was supported by the single "My Cabana" featuring Young Jeezy and Beach House 2 was supported by the singles "Irie" featuring Wiz Khalifa.
On January 21, 2014, Ty Dolla Sign released his debut extended play, Beach House EP. The EP will feature guest appearances from Casey Veggies, Wiz Khalifa, Twista, Jay Rock, Trey Songz, French Montana, and Fredo Santana and the popular single "Paranoid" featuring B.o.B. On January 7, 2014 Ty Dolla Sign released the second single from Beach House EP, "Or Nah" featuring Wiz Khalifa and DJ Mustard. On February 23, 2014, Ty Dolla Sign revealed that his debut studio album would be titled Free TC, and be released during the third quarter of 2014. He also told Revolt that had already completed eight songs for the album, and that he would be going on the Under the Influence 3 tour with Wiz Khalifa during 2014. He was chosen for the 2014 XXL freshman class. In May 2014, Ty Dolla Sign told The Fader that he would release a mixtape Sign Language sometime during the next few months, which would then be followed by Free TC. Then in August 2014, Dolla Sign revealed that Jeremih, Wiz Khalifa, YG, Yo Gotti and Jay 305 will appear on Sign Language.
On August 25th, the same day he released Sign Language, Ty Dolla Sign told HotNewHipHop that he had worked with Rihanna on a track from her upcoming album.
Although besides hip hop, Ty Dolla Sign also sings in R&B genre, but many call him a rapper. In an interview he explains. "People would call it rap, but I really don’t feel like I rap. There’s so many great rappers, like if we had to battle or some shit, they would just cream me. I don’t really consider myself a rapper, I just happen to have bars, or something like that. I still sing man, I’m a singer, ya feel me?."
- Beach House EP (2014)
- Free TC (2015)
- allmusic.com, "Ty Dolla Sign". Accessed May 1, 2014
- Sundermann, Eric (August 12, 2013). "Ty Dolla $ign Just Wants to Be a Man | NOISEY". Noisey.vice.com. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- "Hanging With 50 Cent and Breaking Into the Industry — Who Is Ty Dolla $ign?". Complex. October 26, 2012. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- Sittner, Brian. "Eclipse Magazine interviews Tydolla$ign". Retrieved April 27, 2011.
- Torres, Gina. "Producer Tydolla$ign Releases New Mixtape "House on the Hill"". Retrieved April 26, 2011.
- "23. Ty Dolla $ign "My Cabana" — The 50 Best Songs of 2012". Complex. December 11, 2012. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- "Ty Dolla $ign on Singing, Producing and Screwing Your Girlfriend - XXL". Xxlmag.com. December 5, 2012. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- Bacher, Danielle (October 3, 2013). "I Hung Out With Ty$ the Other Night. Things Got Out of Hand | West Coast Sound | Los Angeles | Los Angeles News and Events | LA Weekly". Blogs.laweekly.com. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- "19. Ty Dolla Sign, Beach House 2 — The Most Anticipated Albums of Summer 2013". Complex. June 13, 2013. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- "Ty Dolla $ign Officially Joins Taylor Gang". Vibe. July 2, 2013. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- "iTunes - Music - My Cabana (feat. Young Jeezy) - Single by Ty Dolla $ign". Itunes.apple.com. February 26, 2013. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- Attia, Amir (July 2, 2013). "Ty Dolla $ign "Beach House 2" Cover Art, Tracklist, Download & Mixtape Stream | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales". HipHop DX. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- "iTunes - Music - Irie (feat. Wiz Khalifa) - Single by Ty Dolla $ign". Itunes.apple.com. July 30, 2013. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- by Miranda J. (December 11, 2013). "Ty Dolla $ign EP Release Date & Tracklisting - XXL". Xxlmag.com. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- "Or Nah (feat. Wiz Khalifa and DJ Mustard) [Explicit]: Ty Dolla $ign: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.com. January 7, 2014. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- "Who Is Ty Dolla $ign?". Complex. October 26, 2012. Retrieved November 14, 2014.