Tyga in October 2010.
|Birth name||Michael Ray Nguyen-Stevenson|
|Also known as||T-Raww|
November 19, 1989 |
Compton, California, United States
|Origin||Gardena, California, United States|
|Labels||Young Money, Cash Money, Loco Records, Republic, Last Kings (current)
Decaydance, G.E.D. Inc. (former)
|Associated acts||Chris Brown, Nicki Minaj, Lil Wayne, The Game, LOCO, Kevin McCall, Roham, Travie McCoy, YG, DJ Mustard, Kid Ink Tulisa Contostavlos|
Michael Ray Nguyen-Stevenson (born November 19, 1989), known by his stage name Tyga (an acronym for Thank You God Always), is an American rapper from Compton, California. In 2011, Tyga signed a recording contract with Young Money Entertainment, Cash Money Records and Republic Records (formerly Universal Republic Records). He first received recognition with his debut single "Coconut Juice", featuring Travie McCoy. His major-label debut Careless World: Rise of the Last King, includes the singles "Rack City", "Faded" featuring fellow Young Money artist Lil Wayne, "Far Away" featuring Chris Richardson, "Still Got It" featuring Drake, and "Make It Nasty". He released his third album Hotel California, on April 9, 2013, and includes the singles "Dope" featuring Rick Ross, "For The Road" featuring Chris Brown, and "Show You" featuring Future. He then released a few singles from his upcoming album, The Gold Album: 18th Dynasty such as "Wait For A Minute", "40 Mill", "Real Deal" and "Hookah".
- 1 Early life
- 2 Career
- 3 Personal life
- 4 Legal issues
- 5 Feuds
- 6 Discography
- 7 Awards and nominations
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Michael Ray Nguyen-Stevenson was born on November 19, 1989, in the Los Angeles area, and is of Vietnamese ( his mother is half Vietnamese) and Jamaican descent. He grew up in Compton listening to Fabolous, Lil Wayne, Cam'ron and Eminem among others. He started rapping when Travie McCoy found him in a trainer store and Tyga offered his mixtape.
On December 3, 2012, debate arose concerning Tyga's upbringing. Tyga claimed to have been brought up in a low socioeconomic area of Compton, which contradicts his claims in 2008 on the television show Bustas. On this show he claimed he grew up in a 'well-to-do' house in the Valley (California), where his parents drove a Range Rover and CL600 Mercedes Benz. He also claimed that he attained his nickname from his mother calling him 'Tiger Woods'. There has been speculation that his claims on the show were satirical and not to be taken seriously, and the veracity of his statements has been a subject of heated debate. Tyga responded to the leak of the video by Twitter: "When u 14 an ambitious u don't give a fuk about anything. Scripted tv isn't that what we all live for.Hahahaha" [sic]
2008–10: No Introduction and mixtapes
No Introduction was the first independent album by Tyga. It was released on June 10, 2008, on Decaydance Records. One of the songs from this album, "Diamond Life", was used in the video games Need for Speed: Undercover, and on Madden NFL 2009, as well as in the 2009 movie Fighting.
Tyga released many mixtapes. His 2007 debut mixtape, Young On Probation, garnered him enough attention to sign a record deal with Young Money Entertainment. He created Fan of a Fan with Chris Brown and producers DJ Ill Will and DJ Rockstar. It features other artists such as Bow Wow, Lil Wayne, and Kevin McCall featured in several tracks. Four tracks ("Holla at Me", "G Shit", "No Bullshit" and "Deuces") are also accompanied by a music video. The track "Deuces" was released as the debut single of the mixtape and, as of August 26, 2010, has reached number 14 on the Billboard Hot 100 and number 1 on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs. The track has also been nominated for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration at the 53rd Grammy Awards. The track, among others, was on the tracklist of Chris Brown's fourth studio album, F.A.M.E.. Tyga also told MTV in an interview that the production of the mixtape took just short of a week.
2011–12: Careless World: Rise of the Last King
Careless World: Rise of the Last King was his second studio album. The album was released on February 21, 2012 on Young Money Entertainment, Cash Money Records, and Universal Republic Records. Careless World: Rise of the Last King is a move to the rapping style he featured in the collaboration album We Are Young Money rather me than the poppy dance element shown on No Introduction. Tyga stated that the album shows he has grown up but still relates to the kids. Tyga released a new mixtape #BitchImTheShit in preparation for the album.
The first official single, "Far Away", was released on May 17, 2011 and peaked at 86 on the Billboard Hot 100. The second official single, "Still Got It", was released on October 4, 2011. It peaked at 89 on the Billboard Hot 100. The third official single, "Rack City", was released on December 6, 2011. It was originally listed on Tyga's Well Done 2 mixtape, and was added to the album after it gained commercial success. It debuted at number 94 on the Billboard Hot 100, and has peaked at number 8 since then. The fourth official single, "Faded", was released on January 13, 2012. It peaked on the Hot 100 at #33.
Tyga's sixth single, "Do My Dance" which features 2 Chainz was released on October 2, 2012 and peaked at #79 on the Billboard Hot 100. He has released various mixtapes such as well-acclaimed #BitchImTheShit and Well Done 3.
The same year Tyga also produced and co-directed (with Justice Young) a multi-AVN award-nominated crossover adult film, Rack City: The XXX Movie, which starred Skin Diamond, Jada Fire, Ice La Fox, Sophie Dee, Lexington Steele, Havana Ginger, Kristina Rose, London Keyes, Daisy Marie, Stacie Lane and Austin Taylor; he also signed the soundtrack, that include the hits "Rack City" and "Faded" together with several original songs, and he appeared in the film, in a non-sex role.
2012–2013: Hotel California
Tyga's third studio album is titled Hotel California was released on April 9, 2013. The first single was released on December 25, and is titled, "Dope". The song has a notable feature from rapper Rick Ross. Before the single dropped Tyga released a nine track mixtape under the name 187. 187 the mixtape was released on November 30, 2012. It features remixes to songs such as; 2 Chainz's "I'm Different", Meek Mill's "Young & Gettin' It" and GOOD Music's "Clique", among others and new material. Tyga will also release a second Fan of a Fan mixtape with singer Chris Brown. On episode three of Tyga's tour vlog Tyga confirmed four features on the upcoming album, including Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj, Chris Brown, and Wiz Khalifa. Tyga performed at Harvard University's Yardfest in the Spring of 2013, despite opposition from critics who've signed a petition seeking to keep him away over what they call his "violently misogynistic lyrics."
Hotel California was released on April 9, 2013. The album featured guest appearances from Lil Wayne, Chris Brown, Rick Ross, 2 Chainz, Game, Wiz Khalifa, Future and Jadakiss. Along with production by Cool & Dre, David D.A. Doman, DJ Mustard, Detail, Mars of 1500 or Nothin', The Olympicks, and SAP among others. The album was supported by three official singles — "Dope" which features Rick Ross, "For the Road" featuring Chris Brown, and "Show You" featuring Future, along with the promotional single "Molly". The album was met with generally mixed reviews from music critics. It also was less successful then his debut album commercially, debuting at number seven on the U.S. Billboard 200 with first-week sales of 54,000 copies in the United States.
2013–present: The Gold Album: 18th Dynasty
On August 27, 2013, Tyga released a new single with DJ Mustard titled "Throw It Up". It was also revealed he was working on two new mixtapes Black Thought 3, Well Done 4, as well as The Gold Album. On October 21, 2013, Tyga premiered "Wait for a Minute" featuring Justin Bieber, the first single from his fourth studio album The Gold Album: 18th Dynasty. It would then be released to iTunes the following day. He then confirmed that the album would be released in early 2014. He also explained that the album would, be more "way less commercial." He also said "I felt like Hotel California was more commercial and I made more radio-type records. This album is straight rap." Then on April 9, 2014 Tyga released a song called "Hookah" which features the rapper Young Thug which will be the second single from his fourth studio album The Gold Album: 18th Dynasty.
On May 1, 2014 Tyga made a tweet referring to Kanye West, Mike Dean and his own producer Jess Jackson with a hash-tag The Gold Album, Kanye West is serving as the executive producer for the album, which is due for release on November 18, 2014. Tyga was also featured on Chris Brown's single "Loyal", he was featured on the video version, the song since then peaked at number nine on the US Billboard Hot 100. On May 28, 2014, Tyga released a new song entitled "Real Deal" via SoundCloud. "Real Deal" was later released as The Gold Album 's third single on August 1, 2014. On September 12, 2014 Tyga Announced via his instagram that his new single titled "40 Mill" which will be produced by Kanye West, Mike Dean, Dupri and his own producer Jess Jackson, artwork, The release date was not revealed though. The Album is also set to have features from Justin Bieber, Young Thug, Kanye West, Chris Brown and Drake. Tyga released 40 Mill which is produced by Kanye West on October 14, 2014 the single was given positive feedback from the media.
Tyga met urban model/stripper, Blac Chyna on October 5, 2011, at The F.A.M.E Tour After Party with Chris Brown at King of Diamonds in Miami. Blac Chyna became Tyga's leading lady in his "Rack City" music video. They became an official Couple on November 9, 2011. In March, 2012, the couple posed for the cover of Urban Ink Magazine. That same month rumors started to swirl that Blac Chyna was pregnant by Tyga. In July, the rumors were confirmed after Tyga and Blac Chyna were spotted at Six Flags as she tried to cover up a clearly visible baby bump. On October 16, 2012, their son, King Cairo Stevenson was born. That same day Tyga purchased a $6.5 million mansion in Calabasas, California for his new family. Chris Brown is the godfather of Tyga's son. Tyga and Blac Chyna both have tattoos of their son's name. In December 2012, Blac Chyna confirmed that she and Tyga were engaged. The two have recently split and broke up.  He is now believed to be dating Kylie Jenner.
In late 2012, Tyga was sued by two video vixens who appeared in the video for "Make It Nasty" for 10 million dollars each, due to Tyga allegedly showing their nipples without their consent. They were assured that they would be edited out, and the unedited version of the video would not be released, however Tyga released a fully unedited version of the video. On September 21, 2013, Tyga was sued by another woman from the video shoot for sexual battery as well as fraud, invasion of privacy, and infliction of emotional distress. She alleged that she was groped by a man in a rabbit suit and another man grabbed her breasts. She also claims, like the two other women who have filed suit against him, that she was convinced to dance topless and assured her breasts would be edited out.
On September 4, 2013, it was reported Tyga had been sued by Beverly Hills-based jeweler Jason, for allegedly not paying for roughly $91,000 worth of jewelry. Jason claims that Tyga agreed to pay $28,275 for the jeweler's diamond pantheon watch in August 2012, and that he borrowed a $63,000 diamond Cuban link chain in December 2012 and never returned the item. So he sued Tyga for the cost of both pieces, plus late fees, which totaled up to $185,306.50 in damages, double the original total cost.
- Young Money Entertainment
On October 21, 2014, Tyga lashed out on his current label "Young Money Entertainment", reporting that his music is being held hostage and threatens them to leak the album.
- Drake and Nicki Minaj
Tyga disses on Drake and Nicki Minaj on a recent interview, calling them both fake, saying:
“I tend to distance myself from them. I’m tryna go independent. I don’t really get along with Drake. I don’t really get along with Nicki,” Tyga told Vibe in a story that published last week. “I don’t like Drake as a person. He’s just fake to me. I think his music is good, but we’re all different people. We were forced together and it was kinda’ like we were forcing relationships together.”
- No Introduction (2008)
- We Are Young Money (with Young Money) (2009)
- Careless World: Rise of the Last King (2012)
- Hotel California (2013)
- The Gold Album: 18th Dynasty (2014)
Awards and nominations
|2011||Grammy Awards||Best Rap/Sung Collaboration||"Deuces" (with Chris Brown and Kevin McCall)||Nominated|
|BET Awards||Best Collaboration||Nominated|
|2012||BET Awards||Best Collaboration||"The Motto" (with Drake and Lil Wayne)||Nominated|
|Coca-Cola Viewers' Choice||Nominated|
|BET Hip Hop Awards||Track Of The Year||Nominated|
|Reese's Perfect Combo Award||Nominated|
|Best Club Banger||Nominated|
|MuchMusic Video Awards||MuchVIBE Hip-Hop Video of the Year||Won|
|MTV Europe Music Awards||Best US Act||Himself||Nominated|
|American Music Awards||Favorite Rap/Hip-Hop Artist||Nominated|
|2014||World Music Awards||World's Best Male Artist||Nominated|
|World's Best Live Act||Nominated|
|World's Best Entertainer of the Year||Nominated|
|World's Best Song||"Bubble Butt" (with Major Lazer, Bruno Mars and Mystic)||Nominated|
|World's Best Video||Nominated|
|World's Best Song||"Wait for a Minute" (with Justin Bieber)||Nominated|
|World's Best Video||Nominated|
|World's Best Album||Hotel California||Nominated|
|World's Best Song||"Loyal" (with Chris Brown and Lil Wayne)||Nominated|
|World's Best Video||Nominated|
|MTV Video Music Awards||Best Collaboration||Nominated|
- "Thank You God Always=Tyga". T-Raww (Tyga) on Twitter. February 14, 2010. Retrieved October 8, 2012.
- "Tyga talks about his Vietnamese and Jamaican origin". YouTube. June 18, 2011. Retrieved 2013-06-02.
- "Interview: Tyga Talks Upcoming Album "Hotel California," G.O.O.D. vs. YMCMB, and Why Blogs Are Corny Now". Complex. October 8, 2012. Retrieved 2013-06-02.
- "Tyga On "Bustas" [Video]". Hip Hop Stan. Retrieved December 8, 2012.
- "Tyga: I had it easy growing up ... My Mom Drove a Range Rover". TMZ. Retrieved December 8, 2012.
- "Tweet by Tyga". Retrieved December 8, 2012.
- (April 7, 2008). Tyga: No Introduction Album Cover Art ProHipHop. Accessed May 9, 2008.
- "Chris Brown & Tyga - Fan Of A Fan Hosted by DJ Ill Will & Dj Rockstar // Free Mixtape @". Datpiff.com. May 17, 2010. Retrieved 2011-08-12.
- "Top 100 Music Hits, Top 100 Music Charts, Top 100 Songs & The Hot 100". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2011-08-12.
- Reid, Shaheem (May 20, 2010). "Tyga Explains Origin Of Fan Of A Fan Mixtape With Chris Brown". MTV. Retrieved 2011-08-12.
- Martin, Andrew. "Tyga: "Careless World"". Prefixmag. Retrieved June 28, 2010.
- Steve Javors, "Adult Who's Who: Tyga’s Tail", AVN Magazine, Vol. 28/No. 9, Issue 357, September 2012, pp.38-40.
- "Tyga Scoops Three Nominations At Adult Video Film Awards". Contact Music. December 6, 2012. Retrieved December 7, 2012.
- "Hip-Hop Star Tyga Directs, Stars In 'Rack City XXX'". September 5, 2012. Retrieved June 1, 2013.
- "Tyga Directs Adult Film 'Rack City: The XXX Movie'". September 6, 2012. Retrieved June 1, 2013.
- "Tyga Making His Directorial Debut with 'Rack City: The XXX Movie'". September 10, 2012. Retrieved June 1, 2013.
- "Tyga Lands Three AVN Award Nominations For Porno Flick". December 6, 2012. Retrieved June 1, 2013.
- "AVN Nods To Tyga with Three Award Nominations". December 10, 2012. Retrieved June 1, 2013.
- "Tyga Scores 3 AVN Award Nominations". December 7, 2012. Retrieved June 1, 2013.
- "Tyga Announces "Hotel California" Release Date, First Single". Retrieved November 19, 2012.
- Kuperstein, Slava (November 24, 2012). "Tyga Announces "187" Mixtape Dropping Next Week | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales". HipHop DX. Retrieved 2013-06-02.
- Kuperstein, Slava. "Tyga "187" Mixtape Download & Stream". Retrieved December 1, 2012.
- M, Danny. "Tyga Confirms Four Features On "Hotel California" In Episode 3 Of His Tour Vlog". Article. YoungMoneyHQ.com. Retrieved November 24, 2012.
- "Harvard student committee retains Tyga for Yardfest, despite protests from students, administration". boston.com. Retrieved April 12, 2013.
- Tyga at Metacritic
- "Hip Hop Album Sales: The Week Ending 4/14/2013". HipHopDX. Retrieved April 17, 2013.
- "New Music: Tyga – ‘Throw It Up’". Rap-Up.com. 2013-08-27. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- "iTunes - Music - Wait For a Minute - Single by Tyga & Justin Bieber". Itunes.apple.com. 2013-10-22. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- by C. Vernon Coleman (2013-10-22). "Tyga Announces Forthcoming Album, Reveals New Single With Justin Bieber - XXL". Xxlmag.com. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- "iTunes - Music - Hookah (feat. Young Thug) - Single by Tyga". Itunes.apple.com. 2014-04-09. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- "Twitter / Tyga: #TheGoldAlbum @therealmikedean". Twitter.com. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- "Kanye West To Executive Produce Tyga's Next Album?". Vibe. 2014-02-25. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- "Chris Brown". Billboard. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- "Tyga Gets Raunchy On 'Real Deal': Listen". MTV. 2014-05-28. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- Langhorne, Cyrus (2013-04-16). "Tyga Wants Three-Way W/ Nicki Minaj & Blac Chyna: "At The End Of The Day, I'm A Rapper" [Video". Sohh.Com. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- India, Lindsey (2012-03-13). "Tyga And Blac Chyna Still Together!". Global Grind. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Tyga And ‘Rack City’ Star Blac Chyna Expecting First Child". Rapfix.mtv.com. 2012-07-23. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Tatted Up Love: Tyga And Blac Chyna Featured In Urban Ink Magazine". Necole Bitchie.com. 2012-03-12. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- Popular right now: (2012-03-09). "Tyga To Become Father After Stripper Girlfriend Falls Pregnant?". TaleTela. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- Bobb, Maurice (2012-10-16). "Tyga Welcomes His First Baby - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV.com. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- Brooks, Jason (2012-10-17). "Tyga’s Welcomes His New Family With $6.5 Million Home (PHOTOS)". Global Grind. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "(Photos) Tyga Shows Off His New Tattoo For Baby King Cairo". In Flex We Trust. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- Popular right now: (2012-04-11). "Tyga's Girlfriend Blac Chyna Tattoos His Name On Body". TaleTela. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- Fleischer, Adam (2013-07-27). "UPDATE: Two Video Models Seeking $20 Million From Tyga In Lawsuits Over "Make It Nasty" Video - XXL". Xxlmag.com. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- by C. Vernon Coleman (2013-09-21). "Tyga Faces Another Lawsuit Behind "Make It Nasty" Video - XXL". Xxlmag.com. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- by Emmanuel C.M. (2013-09-04). "Tyga Sued For Stealing Jewelry - XXL". Xxlmag.com. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- Lyons, Patric. "Tyga Says Young Money Is "Holding Me Hostage," Threatens To Leak Album". Hot New Hip Hop. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- Adejobi, Alicia. "Tyga Slams Nicki Minaj And Labels Drake ‘Fake’ In Explosive Rant Against Young Money". Entertainment Wise. Retrieved 23 October 2014.