Tyler "Telle" Smith
|Tyler "Telle" Smith|
Smith in 2012 with The Word Alive.
|Birth name||Tyler Smith|
|Also known as||Telle|
|Born||August 9, 1986|
|Genres||Metalcore, experimental metal, alternative metal, post-hardcore, emo, alternative rock|
|Instruments||Vocals, bass guitar, guitar|
|Labels||Tragic Hero, Ferret, Fearless|
|Associated acts||In Fear and Faith, Greeley Estates, The Word Alive, Underoath, We Came As Romans|
Tyler Smith, known also by his alias Telle, is an American musician. He is currently the lead vocalist for The Word Alive and has played in several bands, such as Greeley Estates and In Fear and Faith. He is known for his tenor singing voice, wide vocal range and ability to comprehensively alternate between melodic and screamed vocals.
In Fear and Faith (2007–2008)
Smith joined In Fear and Faith as one of their two lead vocalists in May 2007 to replace founding vocalist Jarred DeArmas. Smith performed on the band's debut release Voyage and was a member of the band until January 2008 (a month after the release of the EP), when he joined Phoenix, Arizona-based Greeley Estates as bassist.
Greeley Estates and The Word Alive (2008–present)
Smith was a member of Greeley Estates from January 2008 to November 2008. He left the band on November 14, 2008, the day before the band was about to go on tour with Alesana. The band said "not to fret" and that the position would be filled. During this brief association, Smith was featured on some tracks from the album Go West Young Man, Let the Evil Go East.
Upon his departure, he joined The Word Alive, originally a side-project by Escape the Fate's Craig Mabbitt, on December 3, 2008. Smith replaced Mabbitt, due to Mabbitt's unavailability to tour with the band. Smith is featured on the band's debut EP, Empire. A year in advance of its release, Smith confirmed the writing of The Word Alive's first full-length album. On January 20, 2010, he stated it would be titled Deceiver. Deceiver was released on August 31, 2010.
In 2010, The Word Alive were included in Underoath's November tour. At the Mission, Texas show, Smith substituted for Underoath vocalist Spencer Chamberlain who had contracted food poisoning during the tour's final week. On January 24, 2011 while The Word Alive were on tour with Texas in July and For Today, Smith was hospitalized due to an unknown virus and bacterial bronchitis, laryngitis and pharyngitis along with a fever of 103.6 °F. He missed 9 tour dates. In 2011, Smith wrote and completed two new songs, "Apologician" and "Lights and Stones", for the deluxe edition of Deceiver, which was released on June 7, 2011.
On March 31, The Word Alive released a new song by the name of "Wishmaster". On that same day, they confirmed the new album Life Cycles would be released on July 3. The album currently has two singles called "Entirety" and the eponymous "Life Cycles".
Tyler Smith was born in Dayton, Ohio and is the eldest of four brothers; Travis, Tanner and Dustin. He attended Spring Valley Academy in Centerville, Ohio from 1992 to 2005. He began to learn and play the guitar at age 17. However, it wasn't until he turned 20 that he pursued singing as well. Musically, Smith has cited Brand New and Sigur Rós as some of his influences. He also stated that some of his favorite bands are Thirty Seconds to Mars, As Cities Burn, Thursday, August Burns Red, As I Lay Dying, Circa Survive and City and Colour. Smith is an adherent of the Christian faith.
Smith moved from Dayton to San Diego in May 2007 where he was a part of In Fear and Faith. In January 2009 he moved from Oceanside, California to Phoenix, Arizona where Smith joined as bassist for Greeley Estates. By spring of 2011, Smith began a clothing line by the name of Resist & Rebel, which he currently co-operates with Andrew Paiano (Woe, Is Me). As of March 2011, he had returned to California, now living in Las Vegas with girlfriend Pamela Moses due to her work. Smith and Moses also have a French bulldog named Colby Jack, which is named after the cheese type of the same name due to their mutual enjoyment of cheese. However, they both returned to southern California at the end of 2012.
- In Fear and Faith
- Voyage (2007)
- Greeley Estates
- The Word Alive
- "A Mountain" (2011)
- "Touch Of Your Lips" (2012)
- Guest appearances
- "It's Never Been So Quiet" on The Vision and Reality (Tonight Is Glory, 2009)
- "Intentions" on To Plant a Seed (We Came as Romans, 2009)
- "Not Another Song About You" on Trust in Few (We Are Defiance, 2011)
- "The Taste of Regret" on Symphonies (In Fear and Faith, 2011)
- "Coming Home" on To Cast a Way (Danger Silent, 2011)
- "Disclosure" on I'm Not Dying Today (Palisades, 2012)
- "Whiskey for the Soul" on Chapters (Adestria, 2012)
- "All Worth It" (Goodmorning Gorgeous, 2012)
- "Streetlights For Streetfights" (with Etienne Sin, 2012)
- "Conceiver" on Conceiver (Before You Fall, 2013)
- "Rebearth" (Capture the Crown, 2013)
- "Useless" on Lies To Light The Way (Myka, Relocate, 2013)
- Tyler "Telle" Smith (Interviewee) (March 3, 2008). Say hello to our new bass player!. Greeley Estates. 2:11 minutes in. Retrieved March 7, 2011.
- "Greeley is a four piece??". Myspace. November 14, 2008. Retrieved November 18, 2009.
- "Say Hello To Our New Singer!". Myspace. December 3, 2008. Retrieved November 18, 2009.
- "The Word Alive Studio Report". Noisecreep. May 5, 2010. Retrieved May 13, 2010.
- "Underoath To Tour With A Day To Remember, The Word Alive And More In November". The PRP. September 20, 2010. Retrieved June 19, 2011.
- "My Current Medical Condition & Apology". The Word of Telle. January 25, 2011. Retrieved June 19, 2011.
- "Interview with Tyler "Telle" Smith, bass player for Greeley Estates". xSisterHoodx. January 14, 2009. Retrieved November 18, 2009.[dead link]
- "About « Resist & Rebel". Resist & Rebel. Retrieved October 31, 2011.