January 19, 1990 |
Scarborough, ON, CAN
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||193 lb (88 kg; 13 st 11 lb)|
|NHL Draft||23rd overall, 2008
Tyler Cuma (born January 19, 1990) is a Canadian professional ice hockey defenceman currently playing for the Graz 99ers of the Austrian Hockey League (EBEL). He was drafted by the Minnesota Wild in the first round, 23rd overall, in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft when he was playing for the Ottawa 67's.
He recorded 19 (3 goals, 16 assists) points in his rookie season before improving to 32 (4 goals, 28 assists) points in 59 games in 2007-08. That year, he was named the 67's Top Scholastic Player and played in the OHL All-Star Game.
Cuma's 2008–09 season, his third with the 67's, was cut short after sustaining a knee injury during Team Canada's 2009 World Junior selection camp in December 2008. He appeared in just 21 games, scoring nine points. It was thought that he might have made the Minnesota Wild's roster that year.
Cuma's last year in the OHL was the 2009-10 season, where he got 22 points (5 goals, 17 assists) in 52 games.
In the 2011-12 season, Cuma played 73 games, getting 9 assists for the Houston Aeros. Cuma made his NHL debut in April 2011–12, playing for the Minnesota Wild in a game against the Chicago Blackhawks, getting 2 PIM in 11 minutes on ice.
In 2012-13, Cuma spent the entire season with the Houston Aeros, playing in 42 games, getting 12 points (1 goal, 11 assists). He suffered a foot injury which caused him to miss a month.
Cuma has represented Canada at the 2007 Ivan Hlinka Memorial and the 2008 World Junior Championships.
Style of play
Cuma is a two-way defenseman, who has a slightly offensive bent.
- "Cuma suffers World Junior heartbreak for second straight year". The Sports Network. 2009-12-02. Retrieved 2009-12-02.
- "Cowen. Myers struggle". Ottawa Citizen. 2009-09-30. Retrieved 2009-09-30.
- "99ers pick Canadian for try-out" (in German). Austrian Hockey League. 2014-09-30. Retrieved 2014-09-30.
- "Tyler Cuma player profile". hockeysfuture.com. 2012-03-04. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tyler Cuma.|
- Tyler Cuma's player profile at NHL.com
- Tyler Cuma's career statistics at EliteProspects.com
- Tyler Cuma's career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database
|Minnesota Wild first round draft pick
|This biographical article relating to a Canadian ice hockey defenceman born in the 1990s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|