Greene with the St.Louis Cardinals
|San Diego Padres|
August 17, 1983 |
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|April 30, 2009 for the St. Louis Cardinals|
(through 2013 season)
|Runs batted in||61|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Competitor for United States|
|Pan American Games|
|Silver||Santo Domingo 2003||Baseball at the 2003 Pan American Games|
Early and personal life
Greene was born on August 17, 1983, in Raleigh, North Carolina. He graduated from St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. He was drafted by Atlanta Braves in the 2nd round of the 2002 Major League Baseball Draft, but did not sign. He then went on to attended Georgia Tech.
Greene was the 30th overall pick in the 2005 MLB draft by the Cardinals.
St. Louis Cardinals
He hit his first career home run May 8, 2009, against the Cincinnati Reds in the eighth inning off reliever David Weathers. He was recalled on September 23 after the minor league season had ended. He was rated with "Best Infield Arm" in the Cardinals minor league system by Baseball America's Best Tools survey in 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009.
On September 7, 2010, Greene was recalled by the Cardinals for the stretch run.
On July 25, 2011, members of VivaElBirdos (an SBNation Blog) started the "Free Tyler Greene" Fan Club to emphasize his success at Triple A Memphis and garner support for his promotion back to St. Louis. This movement was ultimately successful, as Tyler Greene was called up on the 29th of that same month.
On August 9, 2012, Greene was traded to the Houston Astros for cash consideration and a player to be named later.
On March 26, 2013, Greene was released by the Astros.
Chicago White Sox
Greene signed with the Chicago White Sox on April 4, 2013. He then reported to Triple-A and provided infield depth.  On April 14, 2013, Tyler was called up to the White Sox after Ángel Sánchez was placed on the DL. He was designated for assignment on June 3, 2013. On June 6, 2013, Tyler cleared waivers and was sent outright to Charlotte. On August 13, 2013, Greene was released.
On January 13, 2014, he was invited to spring training.
San Diego Padres
Greene was acquired by the San Diego Padres on April 22, 2014.
- "Greene called up, starts for Cards: Former first-round Draft pick takes place of injured Ryan". MLB.com. 2009-04-30.
- Cards can't solve Cueto: Bats notch just five hits off Reds starter; Pineiro takes loss, MLB.com, May 8, 2009
- Leach, Matthew Cardinals add four players from Triple-A mlb.com, September 23, 2010 (accessed September 7, 2010)
- "Stats: Tyler Greene". Baseball America. Retrieved March 12, 2014.
- Gleeman, Aaron (April 4, 2013). "White Sox sign Tyler Greene". hardballtalk.nbcsports.com. Retrieved March 12, 2014.
- Merkin, Scott (April 14, 2013). "White Sox call up utility man Greene". whitesox.com. Retrieved March 12, 2014.
- Cotillo, Chris (June 5, 2013). "White Sox outright Tyler Greene to AAA Charlotte". MLB Daily Dish. Retrieved March 12, 2014.
- "Tyler Greene - Atlanta Braves - 2014 Player Profile". rotoworld.com. Retrieved March 12, 2014.
- Baer, Bill (August 17, 2013). "Braves sign Tyler Greene to Minor League contract". HardballTalk. Retrieved March 12, 2014.
- "Braves announce Non-Roster Invitees". braves.com. January 13, 2014.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Greene player profile page at Scout.com