Shields at the LG Nitro HD event, New Museum, New York, December 2011
April 29, 1982 |
Inline skating career
Shields competed professionally as a vert inline skater. He participated in the 1999 and 2000 X Games and toured with Tony Hawk in 2003. Shields directed an inline skate video titled .W.A.R. starring Chris Haffey.
His work often involves images of violence and splattered blood. He collected blood from 20 celebrities to make a piece of art for his Life Is Not a Fairytale exhibit in Los Angeles and also photographed Lindsay Lohan as a vampire for that exhibit.
In 2010, Shields photographed actress Lindsay Lohan in studio portraits brandishing a gun. Shields also appeared to stage the "shooting" a partygoer with a gun that year at the release party for his book Collisions, as an appropriated piece of performance art en homage to the cans of Fluxus artist Piero Manzoni and in imitation of 70s Los Angeles performance artist John Duncan along with a student in the department of New Genres at UCLA in the 1990s (among others).
In 2012, Shields released a photograph of his then-girlfriend Francesca Eastwood burning, sawing, and biting an alleged $100,000 Hermès Birkin Bag for a photoshoot. The public responded badly due to the $100,000 that the bag was purchased for just to be destroyed.
Shields was also criticized for a photoshoot with Glee star Heather Morris with a bruised eye as making light of abusive treatment of women. Shields later apologized after receiving death threats saying "if you are anti-domestic abuse spread the word about it. Threatening to kill me is not going to help anything."
- Final Girl (2014) - Director
- Jacopo Nuvolari. "Chromatic by Tyler Shields". 1883 Magazine. GlamStyle. Retrieved 5 July 2013.
- Ashley Lee (8 August 2012). "Tyler Shields Talks Debut Photo Book 'The Dirty Side of Glamour' (Exclusive Image)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 5 July 2013.
- Clark, Ryan F. (January 11, 2003). "Hawk Still Stoked Over Tricks Of Trade". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved June 11, 2012.
- "The 1999 ASA Pro Tour jams N2 Ontario CA". N2inline.Com. June 3, 1999. Retrieved June 11, 2012.
- Tomalin, Terry (May 19, 2000). "Edgy sport keeps generation in-line". St. Petersburg Times. Retrieved June 11, 2012.
- Lina Lecaro (10 November 2011). "Tyler Shields: Warhol or Wannabe?". LAWeekly. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- Ann Binlot (12 August 2011). "What's Lindsay Lohan Doing With That Knife?: A Q&A With Tyler Shields, Young Hollywood's Hottest and Most Twisted Photographer". Blouin Artinfo. Blouin Media. Retrieved 5 July 2013.
- Shields collects stars' blood for artwork Star (magazine) April 7, 2011
- Lindsay poses as vampire in new Tyler Shields’ exhibit Tuesday, Daily Times May 10, 2011
- Oh, Eunice (2010-04-29). in February 2012 published a photo shoot taking as his model the beautiful singer and actress Demi Lovato of 19 "PHOTO: Lindsay Lohan with Gun to Her Mouth". People.com. Retrieved 2010-05-26.
- Trivett, Ben (May 3, 2010). "Celeb Photographer Tyler Shields Shot Someone... With A Gun", Popeater.com, May 3, 2010. Retrieved on May 25, 2010.
- Mull, Amanda (2012-05-26). "Fact Check: Clint Eastwood's Daughter and the Tale of the $100,000 Burning Birkin". Purseblog.com. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- "Stars pose for Tyler Shields’ new book". LA WEEKLY. 10 November 2013. Retrieved 26 December 2013.
- Ellie Krupnick (2 September 2011). "Heather Morris Poses For Domestic Abuse-Themed Shoot (PHOTOS)". Huffington Post. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- Andrea Magrath and Marcus Barnes (5 September 2011). "Photographer behind emotive pictures of Glee star Heather Morris issues an apology after he receives 'death threats'". DailyMail. Retrieved 28 November 2011.