Skaggs with the Arizona Diamondbacks
|Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim – No. 45|
July 13, 1991 |
Santa Monica, California
|Bats: Left||Throws: Left|
|August 22, 2012 for the Arizona Diamondbacks|
(through May 31, 2014)
|Earned run average||4.77|
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
Skaggs was drafted by the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in the first round of the 2009 Major League Baseball Draft out of Santa Monica High School in Santa Monica, California. He made his professional debut that season at the Rookie-level in minor league baseball with the Arizona Angels of the Arizona League and the Orem Owlz of the Pioneer League. In 2010, the Angels assigned Skaggs to the Cedar Rapids Kernels of the Class A Midwest League.
On July 25, 2010, Skaggs along with Joe Saunders, Rafael Rodríguez and Patrick Corbin were traded to the Arizona Diamondbacks for Dan Haren. The Diamondbacks assigned Skaggs to the South Bend Silver Hawks of the Midwest League.
In 2011, Skaggs started the season with the Visalia Rawhide of the Class A-Advanced California League, receiving a promotion to the Mobile Bay Bears of the Class AA Southern League in July. Skaggs, along with Paul Goldschmidt, represented the Diamondbacks at the 2011 All-Star Futures Game.
Skaggs started the 2012 season with Mobile, receiving a promotion to the Reno Aces of the Class AAA Pacific Coast League in late June. He appeared in the 2012 All-Star Futures Game. Skaggs made his MLB debut on August 22, and gave up just two runs through 6 1⁄3 innings of work and was awarded the win.
Second stint with the Angels
The Diamondbacks traded Skaggs to the Angels on December 10, 2013, in a three-team trade also involving the Chicago White Sox. The Angels received Hector Santiago along with Skaggs, while the White Sox received Adam Eaton and the Diamondbacks received Mark Trumbo and two players to be named later.
Skaggs mainly throws three pitches, leading with a four-seam fastball at 91–94 mph. He also throws a curveball (72–76), and a changeup against right-handed hitters (78–81). Baseball America and other scouts regards the curve as his best pitch, while the changeup is less developed.
- Kevin Baxter (2009-06-10). "Angels go after power in the draft". Articles.latimes.com. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- Mark SaxonESPNLosAngeles.comFollowArchive (2010-07-26). "Angels package Saunders for Haren". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- Heck, David (2011-11-22). "Prospect Q&A: D-backs' Tyler Skaggs | MiLB.com News | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- "Goldschmidt, Skaggs get Futures Game nod". MLB.com. June 23, 2011. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- Gabel, Chris (29 July 2012). "Aces insider: Tyler Skaggs is waiting in the wings". Reno Gazette-Journal. Retrieved 31 March 2014. (subscription required (. ))
- McLellan, Sarah (22 August 2012). "Arizona Diamondbacks' Tyler Skaggs pleased with 1st start in big leagues". Arizona Republic. Retrieved 31 March 2014.
- "Mark Trumbo traded to Diamondbacks in three-team deal". CBSSports.com. December 12, 2013. Retrieved 2013-12-10.
- Kappel, Nick (August 20, 2012). "2012 Fantasy Baseball Prospect Report: Arizona Diamondbacks' Tyler Skaggs". Bleacher Report. Retrieved 1 October 2012.
- Newman, Mike (May 2, 2012). "Tyler Skaggs: Stuff-Versus-Stats". Fangraphs. Retrieved 1 October 2012.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Tyler Skaggs on Twitter