Type 095 submarine
|Operators:||People's Liberation Army Navy Submarine Force|
|Preceded by:||Type 093|
|Succeeded by:||Type 097 Qin class|
|In service:||launch in 2010, active service in 2015 (est.)|
|Installed power:||Nuclear reactor|
|Armament:||Torpedoes, cruise missiles, anti-ship missiles, anti-submarine missiles, mines|
It is anticipated that Type 095 submarines will have a substantially reduced acoustic signature, within an improved hull type. Compared to the Type 093, the Type 095 will have a more advanced nuclear reactor, VLS tubes and greater number of advanced sensors such as new active/passive flank array sonar and low and high frequency towed sonar array. Additionally, it is also speculated that Type 095 submarines may act as a potential undersea escort for any future PLAN aircraft carrier task forces.
- "People's Liberation Army Navy: A Modern Navy with Chinese Characteristics" (PFD). Washington, DC: ONI. October 2009. pp. 22–23. Retrieved 2010-11-27.
- O'Rourke, Ronald (October 1, 2010). "China Naval Modernization: Implications for U.S. Navy Capabilities—Background and Issues for Congress" (PDF). Washington, DC: Congressional Research Service. pp. 16n40, 17 19f. Retrieved 2010-11-30.
- Chen, Ta-chen (6 December 2006). "Chinese fast developing advanced submarines". Taipei Times: 8. Retrieved 2009-08-22.
- Warship 2007, p.167
- "China's Quest for a Superpower Military". Backgrounder #2036. The Heritage Foundation. May 17, 2007. Retrieved 2009-08-22.
- Erickson, Andrew Erickson; Goldstein, Lyle (Winter 2007). "China's Future Nuclear Submarine Force: Insights from Chinese Writings" (PDF). Naval War College Review 60 (1): 54–79. Retrieved 2009-08-25.
- Jordan, John; Preston, Antony; Jordan, John; Dent, Stephen (2007). Warship 2007. Naval Institute Press. ISBN 1-84486-041-8.
- "People's Liberation Army Navy: A Modern Navy with Chinese Characteristics" (PDF). ONI. U.S. Navy. August 2009. Retrieved 2010-11-27.
- O'Rourke, Ronald (October 1, 2010). "China Naval Modernization: Implications for U.S. Navy Capabilities—Background and Issues for Congress" (PDF). RL33153. Congressional Research Service. Retrieved 2010-11-30.
- Type 095 - Deagel.com
- "Chinese fast developing advanced submarines" by Ta-chen Cheng - Taipei Times - December 6, 2006
- "China's Quest for a Superpower Military" by John J. Tkacik, Jr. - The Heritage Foundation - May 17, 2007
- Chinese Naval Modernization: Implications for U.S. Navy Capabilities - Background and Issues for Congress by Ronald O'Rourke - February 4, 2008 (CRS Report RL33153)
- "The Implications of China’s Naval Modernization for the United States" - Testimony before the U.S. – China Economic and Security Review Commission by Richard Fisher, Jr. - June 11, 2009
- China’s Noisy Nuclear Submarines by Hans M. Kristensen - FAS Strategy Security Blog