|Date of birth:April 2, 1985|
|Place of birth: Phoenix, Arizona|
|Date of death: February 2, 2013(aged 27)|
|Place of death: Scottsdale, Arizona|
|College: Arizona State|
|Undrafted in 2008|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
Tyrice Thompson (April 2, 1985 – February 2, 2013) was an American football wide receiver and free agent in the National Football League. He was originally signed by the Indianapolis Colts as an undrafted free agent in 2008. He played college football at Arizona State.
Thompson was a former walk-on who earned a scholarship and started six of 46 career games and tallied 16 receptions for 296 yards and one touchdown as a receiver for his career. He saw action in 13 games as senior when he caught 15 of his 16 career passes for 272 yards and one touchdown. He blocked one punt, one field goal and had one fumble recovery on special teams. He appeared in 12 games as junior and earned the special teams Iron Man Award with six special teams tackles. Thompson played in nine games, recording two tackles, as sophomore and played in 12 games, recording three special teams tackles, as freshman. He was redshirted in 2003.
Thompson was signed by the Colts as an undrafted free agent in 2008, but did not make any appearances in regular season games.
Working as a bouncer for Martini Ranch nightclub (which later closed for business in October 2013 after 18 years operation) in Scottsdale, Arizona, Thompson was stabbed multiple times while trying to intervene during an altercation between patrons. Five days later, the morning of February 2, 2013, Thompson died as a result of his injuries. His alleged assailant was identified as Ian McDonald, a U.S. Marine. McDonald's girlfriend, Samantha B. King, was also charged in connection with the case.
Proceedings and trial of the alleged assailant
On April 11, 2013, the Superior Court for Maricopa County Arizona found that Ian McDonald had violated the terms of his pretrial release agreement and was ordered to increase his bail from $50,000 to $125,000 cash. On July 9, 2013, McDonald's defense counsel advised the court that they would be filing a motion requesting a modification of their client's release conditions such that he would be allowed to reside in Florida. On July 31, 2013, the court denied the petition for modification of release. The court ruled on November 12, 2013, that all military character witnesses, as well as the defendant, should comply with the State's request for said witnesses' conduct records within the military’s jurisdiction. Assuming no pretrial settlement can be reached, McDonald's trial is set to begin April 9, 2014.
- "Player Bio: Tyrice Thompson - Arizona State University Official Athletic Site". www.thesundevils.com. Retrieved 2013-02-02.
- http://www.azcentral.com/community/scottsdale/articles/20131004martini-ranch-downtown-scottsdale-closing.html Martini Ranch in downtown Scottsdale closing
- http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/scripts/meeds/qreturn.asp?casenumber=CR2013106318 Clerk of the Superior Court Minute Entries
- "Martini Ranch bouncer Tyrice Thompson dies after stabbing, police say". www.azcentral.com. Retrieved 2013-02-02.
- http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/docs/Criminal/042013/m5728263.pdf Superior Court of Arizona, Maricopa County
- http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/docs/Criminal/112013/m6035856.pdf Superior Court of Arizona, Maricopa County
- http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/docs/Criminal/012014/m6126849.pdf Superior Court of Arizona, Maricopa County
- http://www.azcentral.com/community/scottsdale/free/20140128april-trial-set-in-death-of-scottsdale-bouncer-at-martini-ranch.html April 9 trial set in death of Scottsdale bouncer at Martini Ranch