Location in Fayette County and the state of Georgia
|Elevation||981 ft (299 m)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|Area code(s)||770, 678|
|GNIS feature ID||0324475|
Tyrone is located at (33.473563, -84.591229).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the population in 2006 was 6,218. The town has a total area of 12.8 square miles (33 km2), of which, 12.6 square miles (33 km2) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) of it (0.86%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,916 people, 1,374 households, and 1,158 families residing in the town. The population density was 309.6 people per square mile (119.5/km²). There were 1,425 housing units at an average density of 112.7 per square mile (43.5/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 94.38% White, 3.37% African American, 0.33% Native American, 1.00% Asian, 0.15% from other races, and 0.77% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.46% of the population.
There were 1,374 households out of which 41.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 73.3% were married couples living together, 7.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 15.7% were non-families. 12.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.85 and the average family size was 3.12.
In the town the population was spread out with 27.4% under the age of 18, 6.7% from 18 to 24, 27.7% from 25 to 44, 30.1% from 45 to 64, and 8.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 94.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.5 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $63,080, and the median income for a family was $71,406. Males had a median income of $45,788 versus $29,231 for females. The per capita income for the town was $26,463. None of the families and 0.9% of the population were living below the poverty line, including no under eighteens and none of those over 64.
Many developers have flocked to Tyrone due to its high land value and accessibiltiy to Atlanta. Crime is virtually non-existent and a number of new projects are set to debut in Tyrone in the near future. They include a restoration of the old downtown, new residential communities, a golf cart path system that will connect to Peachtree City and a new public library.
Within the small town of Tyrone there are 3 public schools: Burch Elementary, Flat Rock Middle, and Sandy Creek High School. These three are located in a triangle configuration on the same street (Jenkins Road). Our Lady of Victory Catholic School is located on Kirkley (aka "Kirkly") Road off Highway 74. South of town there is Crabapple Elementary School. East of town, there is also the newly added Bennetts Mill Middle School and the yet unopened Rivers Elementary School.
- Joey Clanton, NASCAR driver
- Calvin Johnson, NFL football--Detroit Lions player
- Andrew Gardner, NFL football--Miami Dolphins player
- Brittany Swann, Miss Georgia USA 2007
- Chris Webber, NBA
- Kedric Golston, NFL football—Washington Redskins
Organizations Headquartered in Tyrone
- The U.S. Headquarters for Operation Mobilisation is in Tyrone.
- Wellspring Living, an organization that works with victims of childhood trauma is headquartered in Tyrone.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Sandy Creek High School Band
- Town of Tyrone
- Tyrone Crime Statistics
- Our Lady of Victory Catholic School
- Millbrook Village Subdivision Tyrone, GA
- Tyrone Georgia Homes and Subdivisions