Tyrone Township, Franklin County, Illinois
Location in Franklin County
Franklin County's location in Illinois
|Established||November 4, 1884|
|• Total||35.81 sq mi (92.7 km2)|
|• Land||35.39 sq mi (91.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.42 sq mi (1.1 km2) 1.17%|
|Elevation||469 ft (143 m)|
|• Density||131.5/sq mi (50.8/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|ZIP codes||62812, 62822, 62825, 62865, 62891, 62983|
|GNIS feature ID||0429849|
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 35.81 square miles (92.7 km2), of which 35.39 square miles (91.7 km2) (or 98.83%) is land and 0.42 square miles (1.1 km2) (or 1.17%) is water.
Cities, towns, villages
(This list is based on USGS data and may include former settlements.)
The township contains these seven cemeteries: Cook, Greenwood, Mulkeytown, Naylor, Old Mulkeytown, Reed and Ward.
- Christopher Lake
- Izaac Walton Lake
- Christopher Community Unit School District 99
- Sesser-Valier Community Unit School District 196
- Illinois' 12th congressional district
- State House District 117
- State Senate District 59
According to "The Heritage of Franklin County Illinois" by Susie M. Ramsey and Flossie P. Miller (1964), "Tyrone Township was named after an old steamboat. The first land entries were made by Levi Silkwood and John Kirkpatrick in 1831, and John Mulkey in 1833." (Pg. 16, 1993 Print Shop reprint edition)
- "Tyrone Township, Franklin County, Illinois". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey. Retrieved 2010-01-16.
- United States Census Bureau 2007 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States National Atlas
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-28.
- Ramsey, Susie M. and Flossie P. Miller. "The Heritage of Franklin County Illinois". (1964, Benton Evening News).
||Goode Township||Barren Township|
|Elk Township, Jackson County||Six Mile Township||Denning Township|