U.S. Century Bank
|Founded||Miami, Florida (October 28, 2002)|
|Headquarters||Doral, Miami, Florida|
|Area served||South Florida|
|Key people||Alex Acosta
Chairman of the Board
Carlos J. Davila
President and CEO
|Products||Finance and insurance
Global Wealth Management
|Total assets||US$ 931 million (December '13)|
|Total equity||US$ 47 million (December '13)|
|Employees||243 (December 2013)|
U.S. Century Bank is a community bank in the U.S. state of Florida, locally owned and headquartered in Miami. U.S. Century Bank is a company that provides consumer and business banking services to communities throughout south Florida. It has approximately $1.61 billion in total assets, $100 million in equity capital, and a branch network that includes 24 locations throughout Miami-Dade and Broward counties. It is a member of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.
Founded in 2002, and initially serving mainly Hispanic-owned businesses, it grew quickly and planned to open up three more branches in 2003; it was called "the little bank that could" in 2005, when it operated nine branches.
U.S. Century Bank is one of the 10 largest community banks headquartered in Miami. In 2007, the bank was named Bank of the Year by both the Latin Builder’s Association and the South Florida Hispanic Chamber of Commerce. It received the 2008 Top 100 Outstanding Minority Business Award from the Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce.
On August 7, 2009, U.S. Century Bank announced it has participated in the United States Department of the Treasury's Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) Capital Purchase Program by receiving $50.2 million of funds. U.S. Century Bank reported earnings of $1 million in the first quarter of 2010, but deferred the interest payment to the U.S. Government on its TARP loan. The rating agency Fitch downgraded the rating on the banks corporate debt to junk status. In addition, the Union of Operating Engineers of Miami reported that US Century Bank is the financial institution in Florida with the highest ratio of loans to inside directors of the State of Florida.
On June 7, 2011, The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation issued U.S. Century Bank with a consent order citing issues with asset quality, management, earnings, capital, liquidity and sensitivity to market risk. The U.S. Department of the Treasury appointed a federal observer to the bank’s board because the bank has not made its last eight TARP dividend payments. U.S. Century ended 2011 with $1.26 billion in deposits and $1.11 billion in loans.
On August 22, 2012, it was announced that U.S. Century Bank President Octavio Hernandez would retire and that the Board of Directors of U.S. Century Bank has appointed Carlos J. Dávila as President, Chief Executive Officer and member of the Board of Directors. On August 30, Trevor Burgess, the Chief Executive Officer of C1 Bank, and Ramon E. Rasco, the Chairman of U.S. Century Bank, announced that C1 Bank and CBM Florida Holding Company, have entered into a definitive agreement with U.S. Century Bank for the acquisition of Doral, FL based U.S. Century Bank. The acquisition will be accomplished through the merger of U.S. Century Bank into C1 Bank.
Board of directors
U.S. Century Bank’s directors are successful business leaders who have built companies from the ground up and who are experienced in operating and managing financial institutions. They provide the bank’s management with strategic direction.
- Alex Acosta, Chairman of the Board of Directors of U.S. Century Bank
- Jose Cancela, Principal, Hispanic USA Inc.
- Carlos J. Davila, President & CEO, U.S. Century Bank
- John Ward III, Industrial Enterprises of America, Lambro Industries, Inc., Big Brothers Big Sisters of NYC and N.Y. Downtown Hospital
- Aida Levitan, National Smithsonian Latino Center, Friends of the National Museum of the American Latino, and the Spanish Cultural Center
The Bank operates 22 branches located throughout Miami-Dade and Broward Counties. Deposits are insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) up to the legal limit. U.S. Century Bank's branches are located in Aventura, Brickell, Coral Gables, Doral, Downtown Miami, Hialeah (2), Hialeah Gardens, Hollywood, Key Biscayne, Miami (9), Miami Lakes, South Beach, and West Kendall.
- "New Miami-Based Community Bank Bucks the Trend and Raises Record $22 Million in Capital as a De Novo Bank; US Century Bank Set to Open to the Public on November 4th.". Business Wire. 2002-10-28. Retrieved 2009-01-22.
- Norton, Frank (2002-12-19). "Newborn Century Bank doubles assets, plans more branches in 2003". Miami Today. Retrieved 2009-01-22.
- Fields, Gregg (2005-04-26). "U.S. Century Bank is bound for the big leagues". The Miami Herald.
- Bandell, Brian (2010-04-22). "U.S. Century Bank regains profitability".
- Bandell, Brian (2010-04-15). "Fitch downgrades U.S. Century Bank".
- Doral-based U.S. Century Bank has more outstanding insider loans than any other banking institution in Florida - Page 1 - News - Miami - Miami New Times
- Bandell, Brian (2012-01-31). "U.S. Century Bank's bad assets up $57M in Q4".
- Bandell, Brian (2012-08-22). "Carlos Davila succeeds Octavio Hernandez as U.S. Century Bank CEO".
- Bandell, Brian (2012-08-31). "U.S. Century Bank to be sold to C1 Bank".