U.S. Route 18 in Wisconsin
|Maintained by WisDOT|
|Length:||182.16 mi (293.16 km)|
|Existed:||1926 – present|
|West end:||US 18 in Prairie du Chien|
| US 61 in Fennimore
US 151 in Dodgeville
US 12 / US 14 in Madison
US 14 / US 151 in Madison
US 51 in Madison
I-39 / I-90 in Madison
US 12 in Cambridge
I-94 / WIS 164 in Waukesha
US 45 in Wauwatosa
US 41 in Milwaukee
|East end:||Lincoln Memorial Drive in Milwaukee|
|Counties:||Crawford, Grant, Iowa, Dane, Jefferson, Waukesha, Milwaukee|
In the U.S. state of Wisconsin, U.S. Route 18 (normally called U.S. Highway 18, Highway 18 or US 18) runs east–west across the southern part of the state. The highway serves as major connecting route between Madison and the southwest corner of the state. East of Madison, the route parallels Interstate 94 and serves as a local connection route to the communities along the interstate. US 18 enters Wisconsin at Prairie du Chien and ends in downtown Milwaukee at Lincoln Memorial Drive, across from the Milwaukee Art Museum.
US 18 enters Crawford County from Iowa, crossing the Mississippi River using the Marquette-Joliet Bridge just west of Prairie du Chien. WIS 60 begins at the state line and runs concurrent with US 18 east from there. The two highways turn south at the along with Wisconsin Highway 35 downtown and head southeast out of the city. WIS 60 branches northeast from US 18 at Bridgeport. US 18 and WIS 35 continue southeast into Grant County The two highways split at Patch Grove with WIS 35 continuing southeastward along with WIS 133 south, while US 18 turns eastward along with WIS 133 north. WIS 133 branches north at Mount Hope. US 18 and US 61 junction in downtown Fennimore. and WIS 80 north joins the highway in Montfort, on the Iowa County line.
WIS 80 turns north at Cobb while US 18 continues east through Dodgeville, crossing WIS 23 and joining US 151 North. The two U.S. routes share a common expressway and bypass Ridgeway and Barneveld on the way east into Dane County. in Dane County, US 18 and US 151 bypass Mount Horeb, crossing WIS 78 and WIS 92, and Verona and enter the Madison area, first passing through Fitchburg. Upon entering Madison, US 18 and US 151 join US 12 and US 14 east along the West Beltline Highway. US 151 and US 14 turn off the beltline three miles (5 km) east and US 12 and US 18 continue east, crossing US 51 and I-39 / I-90 southeast of Madison. Four miles east of the Interstates, US 12/US 18 becomes a two lane surface road again and passes through Cambridge, where US 12 splits southeast at the Jefferson County line.
US 18 crosses WIS 89 and WIS 26 in Jefferson and passes through Sullivan. Entering Waukesha County, Wisconsin, US 18 passes north of Dousman at WIS 67, south of the Kettle Moraine State Forest - Lapham Peak Unit and north of Wales at WIS 83. US 18 then enters Waukesha along Summit Avenue. US 18 turns onto Delafield Street heading south, then takes a very sharp turn northeast - with the eastbound traffic following St. Paul Avenue and westbound traffic following North Street. The two streets merge and US 18 turns east onto Moreland Boulevard, WIS 164 joins US 18 from Les Paul Parkway south and follows it to the interchange with I-94. WIS 164 turns west onto I-94, and US 18 continues east into Brookfield along Blue Mound Road. US 18 continues through Brookfield and Elm Grove along Blue Mound Road, and enter Milwaukee County and Wauwatosa. US 18 crosses WIS 100 and US 45 near the Milwaukee County Zoo and continues east into Milwaukee. At US 41, the highway shifts onto Wisconsin Ave. US 18 turns north onto North 35th street and east on to West Highland Ave, then south onto North 17th Avenue. The route splits onto one-way streets following State Street and Wells street just west of I-43 and join WIS 32 at North Broadway (southbound) and North Milwaukee Street (Northbound). Both directions turn east onto East Michigan Street as WIS 32 continues south. US 18 reaches its eastern terminus, the junction of Michigan Street and Lincoln Memorial Drive five blocks east of WIS 32, and one block north of I-794.
Prior to 1926, the route that US 18 follows today was designated as WIS 19. By 1923, the WIS 19 extended from Prairie du Chien to Milwaukee. Shortly after US 18 was signed, it was rerouted along WIS 30 and WIS 19 - the present route within Milwaukee. The remainder of the route was relocated to its current alignment in 1932.
The eastern terminus was an originally stated in official DOT documentation to be the junction of East Michigan Street and North Harbor Drive. This matched what commercial street maps were showing after many years of inaccuracies.
Between 1980 and 1990, 38 miles (61 km) of US 18/US 151 was upgraded to expressway standards, with the section around Verona being the final piece to be completed in 1995. US 12/US 18 was upgraded to expressway standards between I-39/I-90 to North Star Road, west of Cambridge. The remainder wasn't expanded, but straightened out to eliminate sharp curves.
||This section contains a table that is missing mileposts for one or more junctions. Please help by .|
|Clayton||Marquette||US 18 west – Marquette, Charles City||Continuation into Iowa|
|Mississippi River||0.00||0.00||Marquette–Joliet Bridge; Iowa–Wisconsin state line (WIS 60 begins)||West end of WIS 60 overlap|
|Crawford||Prairie du Chien||WIS 35 north||WIS 35 South follow US 18/WIS 60 East|
|Bridgeport||WIS 60 east||WIS 60 West follow US 18 West|
|Grant||Patch Grove||WIS 35 south / WIS 133 south||WIS 35 North follow US 18 West, WIS 133 North follow US 18 East|
|Mount Hope||WIS 133 north||WIS 133 South follow US 18 West|
|Montfort||WIS 80 south||WIS 80 North follow US 18 East|
|Iowa||Cobb||WIS 80 north||WIS 80 South follow US 18 West|
|47||US 151 south||US 151 North follow US 18 East|
|Dane||Town of Blue Mounds||65||
US 18 Bus. / US 151 Bus. / WIS 78 – Mount Horeb, Blanchardville
|US 18 Business / US 151 Business only signed northbound|
US 18 Bus. / US 151 Bus. / CTH-ID – Mount Horeb
|US 18 Business / US 151 Business only signed southbound|
|Town of Springdale||70||CTH-PD to CTH-P – Cross Plains|
|Town of Verona||75||CTH-G|
|77||WIS 69 south|
US 18 Bus. / US 151 Bus. / CTH-MV (W. Verona Avenue) / Epic Lane
|US 18 Business / US 151 Business only signed northbound|
|77||WIS 69 south|
|79||CTH-PB to CTH-M|
|Town of Verona||81||
US 18 Bus. / US 151 Bus. / CTH-MV – Verona
|Southbound exit and northbound entrance only|
|Madison||258||US 12 west / US 14 – Baraboo, La Crosse||Southern end of US 12 / US 14 overlap|
|258A||Seminole Highway||Southbound exit and northbound entrance only|
|260||CTH-D (Fish Hatchery Road)||Signed as exits 260A (southbound) and 260B (northbound)|
|261||US 12 east / US 14 east / US 151 north||Northern end of US 12 / US 14 / US 151 overlaps; signed as exits 261A and 261B|
|263||John Nolen Road|
|Monona||264||South Towne Drive|
|Madison||266||US 51 (Stoughton Road) – McFarland|
|267||I-39 west / I-90 to I-94 – Janesville, Wis Dells, Milwaukee, Chicago||Signed as exits 267A (south) and 267B (north}|
|Door Creek||272||CTH-N – Stoughton, Cottage Grove|
|WIS 73 north – Deerfield||West end of WIS 73 overlap|
|WIS 73 south||East end of WIS 73 overlap|
|Cambridge||US 12 east||US 12 West follow US 18 West|
|WIS 164 south||WIS 164 North follow US 18 East|
|I-94 / WIS 164 north||WIS 164 North follow I-94 West, WIS 164 South follow US 18 West|
|Elm Grove||CTH-O (Moorland Road)|
|Milwaukee||Wauwatosa||WIS 100 (N. 108th Street)|
|WIS 181 (76th Street)|
|WIS 32 (N. Broadway, N. Milwaukee Street)|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Bessert, Chris. "Wisconsin Highways: Highways 10-19 (U.S. Highway 18)". Wisconsin Highways. Retrieved 2008-01-01.
- Wisconsin Department of Transportation (pdf). Crawford Co (Map). http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/travel/maps/docs/counties/crawford.pdf. Retrieved 2008-01-01.
- Wisconsin Department of Transportation (pdf). Grant Co (Map). http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/travel/maps/docs/counties/grant.pdf. Retrieved 2008-01-01.
- Wisconsin Department of Transportation (pdf). Iowa Co (Map). http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/travel/maps/docs/counties/iowa.pdf. Retrieved 2008-01-01.
- Wisconsin Department of Transportation (pdf). Dane Co (Map). http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/travel/maps/docs/counties/dane.pdf. Retrieved 2008-01-01.
- Wisconsin Department of Transportation (pdf). Jefferson Co (Map). http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/travel/maps/docs/counties/jefferson.pdf. Retrieved 2008-01-01.
- Wisconsin Department of Transportation (pdf). Waukesha Co (Map). http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/travel/maps/docs/counties/waukesha.pdf. Retrieved 2008-01-01.
- City of Waukesha (pdf). City of Waukesha Ward and Aldermanic Districts Map (Map). http://www.ci.waukesha.wi.us/Home/aldWrdMapCOLOR.pdf. Retrieved 2008-01-01.
- Wisconsin Department of Transportation (pdf). Milwaukee Co (Map). http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/travel/maps/docs/counties/milwaukee.pdf. Retrieved 2008-01-01.
- Google Inc. "US-18, Milwaukee". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=US+18,+Milwaukee&sll=43.043551,-87.925987&sspn=0.052441,0.118275&ie=UTF8&ll=43.035521,-87.977314&spn=0.052448,0.17458&z=13&om=1. Retrieved 2008-01-01.
- Rand McNally (1921). Official Auto Trails Map (Map). 1:1,081,344. p. 330-331.
- "Complete Plans for Roadwork". Telegraph-Herald (Dubuque, Iowa). April 2, 1923. p. 5. Retrieved January 8, 2011.
- "Rand McNally Auto Road Atlas". Rand McNally. 1926. Retrieved 2008-01-01.
|U.S. Route 18|