U.S. Route 401
|Auxiliary route of US 1|
|Length:||251.0 mi (403.9 km)|
|Existed:||1957 – present|
US 76 Bus. in Sumter, SC
|I-40 / US 64 in Raleigh, NC|
|North end:||I-85 / US 1 near Wise, NC|
Route description 
Starting in Sumter, South Carolina, US 401 goes northeast through mostly swamp and farmland, as it connect the cities of Darlington and Bennettsville before crossing the state line into North Carolina. Traversing the state for 77.2 miles (124.2 km), it is mostly a two-lane rural road, which is likely to only have local traffic along it thanks to nearby Interstate 95.
In North Carolina, the highway becomes more utilized, as it connect to several mid-size and large cities in the state. In the sandhills region, it connects the cities of Laurinburg, Raeford, and Fayetteville. All three of which have business routes connecting the downtown areas. The road is typically two-lane still, but expands to four-lane (or more) in each city. The road takes a pause in the lime-light as it straddles nearby Interstate 95 again; from Fayetteville, through Lillington, to Fuquay-Varina.
In Wake County, US 401 is center-stage again as a major north-south corridor, connecting bedroom communities to downtown Raleigh. Once it leaves the county, it reverts to a rural road connecting the small cities of Louisburg and Warrenton. US 401 finally ends at Interstate 85, just north from the community of Wise; competing a 173.8-mile (279.7 km) thru the state.
Overall, the route goes through endless fields of farmland broken now and then by cities and small towns. With exceptions to both the sandhills region and Wake County, most travelers would be better served using Interstate 95.
The route is the third highway to bear the name, which included renaming the stretch of U.S. Route 15A from Sumter to Raleigh, and former N.C. Highway 59 from Raleigh to Norlina.
The first U.S. 401 was assigned to a route from South Hill to South Boston in Virginia from 1926 to 1932. Parts of this route were renumbered as U.S. Route 58. The second U.S. 401 ran from Raleigh to Waterboro in North Carolina from 1933 to 1934. Parts of this route were replaced by U.S. Route 15.
Considered an important link between Fayetteville, Lillington and Raleigh, NCDOT has set up the US 401 Corridor Study. The purpose of the study is to identify deficiencies in the existing corridor and develop alternatives for accommodating future growth in traffic volumes (i.e. widen to multi-lanes). The corridor study also includes NC 55 and NC 210. Estimated costs for all road improvements along the corridor is around $193–222.6 million. Property acquisition and construction is unfunded at this time.
Junction list 
South Carolina 
US 76 Bus. (Washington Street)
|0.5||0.8||US 15 (Lafayette Drive) – Summerton, Bishopville|
|1.9||3.1||US 76 / US 378 (Robert E. Graham Freeway) – Conway, Columbia|
||Saint Charles||12.6||20.3||SC 154 (Saint Charles Highway) – Mayesville, Bishopville|
|Elliott||17.1||27.5||SC 527 (Elliott Highway) – Kingstree, Bishopville|
|18.6||29.9||SC 341 (Lynchburg Highway) – Lynchburg, Bishopville|
||Lamar||24.5||39.4||Main Street / Lee State Park Road – Lee State Park|
|27.4||44.1||SC 403 (Oates Highway) – Timmonsville, Hartsville|
|28.0||45.1||I-20 – Florence, Columbia|
|Darlington||37.8||60.8||US 52 south (Governor Williams Highway) – Florence||South end of US 52 overlap|
|38.2||61.5||SC 34 / SC 151 (Harry Byrd Highway) – Hartsville|
US 52 Bus. south (Main Street) – Darlington
|52.3||84.2||US 15 south (Hartsville Highway) – Hartsville||South end of US 15 overlap|
|Society Hill||54.3||87.4||US 52 north (Cheraw Highway) – Cheraw||North end of US 52 overlap|
||61.3||98.7||SC 912 (Willamette Road)|
|Bennettsville||64.6||104.0||SC 385 north (Main Street) – Bennettsville|
|65.6||105.6||SC 9 north / SC 38 north (Cottingham Boulevard) – Cheraw||North end of SC 9/38 overlap|
SC 38 south / SC 9 Bus. north / SC 38 Bus. north (Broad Street) – Blenheim
|South end of SC 38 overlap|
|67.6||108.8||SC 9 south (Tyson Avenue) – Dillon||South end of SC 9 overlap|
|McColl||75.6||121.7||SC 381 (Main Street) – Clio, Blenheim, Hamlet|
|State line||77.2||124.2||US 15 north / US 401 north – Laurinburg|
North Carolina 
||State line||0.0||0.0||US 15 south / US 401 south – McColl, Bennettsville|
US 15 Bus. north / US 401 Bus. north (Main Street)
|5.8||9.3||I-74 / US 74 / US 501 south – Rockingham, Lumberton, Wilmington||South end of US 501 overlap|
US 74 Bus. (Church Street)
US 15 Bus. south / US 501 Bus. south (Aberdeen Road)
US 15 north / US 501 north (Aberdeen Road) – Aberdeen, Sanford
|North end of US 15/US 501 overlap|
US 401 Bus. south (Wagram Road)
|Wagram||16.8||27.0||NC 144 west (Old Wire Road)||To John Charles McNeill House|
US 401 Bus. north (Harris Avenue)
|27.2||43.8||To NC 211 (Teal Drive)|
US 401 Bus. south – Raeford
US 401 Bus. north (Raeford Road)
|46.3||74.5||All American Expressway – Fort Bragg, Pope Army Airfield|
|47.1||75.8||NC 24 / NC 87 (Bragg Boulevard)|
US 401 Bus. south (Ramsey Street)
|55.2||88.8||Future I-295 north to I-95 to US 13|
|64.3||103.5||NC 217 north (Linden Road) – Linden|
||Lillington||74.9||120.5||NC 210 south – Spring Lake, Fort Bragg||South end of NC 210 overlap|
|75.0||120.7||NC 27 west (Old Road) – Cameron, Carthage||West end of NC 27 overlap|
|75.4||121.3||US 421 north (Front Street) – Sanford||North end of US 421 overlap; to Raven Rock State Park|
|77.0||123.9||US 421 south / NC 27 east / NC 210 north – Erwin, Dunn, Angier||South end of US 421, east end of NC 27, and north end of NC 210 overlap|
||Fuquay Varina||89.7||144.4||NC 42 west (Academy Street) – Sanford||West end of NC 42 overlap|
|90.5||145.6||NC 55 west (Ennis Street) – Holly Springs||West end of NC 55 overlap|
|92.5||148.9||NC 42 east / NC 55 east – Angier, Clayton||East end of NC 42/NC 55 overlap|
|Garner||103.8||167.0||US 70 east / NC 50 south – Garner, Smithfield, Goldsboro||East end of US 70 and south end of NC 50 overlap|
|Raleigh||104.8||168.7||Wilmington Street – Downtown Raleigh|
|105.5||169.8||I-40 / US 64 – Cary, Durham, Benson|
|106.7||171.7||Martin Luther King Jr Boulevard / Western Boulevard|
|108.7||174.9||US 70 west / NC 50 north (Wade Avenue) – RDU Airport, Research Triangle Park||West end of US 70 and north end of NC 50 overlap|
|108.8||175.1||Fairview Avenue||Northbound left exit, no northbound entrance|
|109.5||176.2||North Wake Forest Road||No southbound exit|
|109.7||176.5||South Wake Forest Road / Atlantic Avenue|
|111.2||179.0||I-440 / US 1 south – Sanford, Rocky Mount||South end of US 1 overlap|
|113.5||182.7||US 1 north (Capital Boulevard) – Wake Forest, Henderson||North end of US 1 overlap|
|115.9||186.5||I-540 – Rocky Mount, Wilson, Durham||SPUI|
|125.5||202.0||NC 96 (Zebulon Road) – Zebulon, Youngsville|
||127.4||205.0||NC 98 – Bunn, Wake Forest|
|Louisburg||136.9||220.3||NC 56 west – Franklinton||West end of NC 56 overlap|
|137.6||221.4||NC 39 south – Bunn||South end of NC 39 overlap|
|138.5||222.9||NC 56 east / NC 581 south (Nash Street) – Rocky Mount||East end of NC 56 overlap|
|139.1||223.9||NC 561 east – Centerville|
|Ingleside||144.0||231.7||NC 39 north – Henderson||North end of NC 39 overlap|
US 158 Bus. east / NC 58 south (Macon Street) – Macon, Centerville
|East end of US 158 Business overlap|
|Norlina||165.5||266.3||US 158 east – Macon, Roanoke Rapids||East end of US 158 and west end of US 158 Business overlap|
|166.7||268.3||US 1 south / US 158 west – Middleburg, Henderson||South end of US 1 and west end of US 158 overlap|
|173.8||279.7||I-85 / US 1 north – Henderson, Richmond||Continuation as US 1|
Bannered routes 
Bennettsville business loop 
U.S. Route 401 Business
|Location:||Bennettsville, South Carolina|
|Length:||3.4 mi (5.5 km)|
Established in 1958, when mainline US 401 was bypassed south of Bennettsville, it followed the old alignment via Main Street and Tyson Avenue. By 1990, the route was decommissioned with most being replaced by an extension of SC 385.
Laurinburg alternate route 
U.S. Route 401A
|Location:||Laurinburg, North Carolina|
|Length:||4.4 mi (7.1 km)|
Laurinburg business loop 
U.S. Route 401 Business
|Location:||Laurinburg, North Carolina|
|Length:||4.4 mi (7.1 km)|
|0.0||0.0||US 15 / US 401 (McColl Road) – McColl||South end of US 15 Business overlap|
|0.5||0.8||I-74 / US 74 – Hamlet, Rockingham, Lumberton|
US 501 Bus. south – Raemon, Rowland
|South end of US 501 Business overlap|
US 74 Bus. (Church Street) – Hamlet, Maxton
US 15 Bus. north (Aberdeen Road) / US 501 Bus. north – Aberdeen
|North end of US 15/501 Business overlap|
|4.4||7.1||US 401 – Wagram, Raeford|
Raeford business loop 
U.S. Route 401 Business
|Location:||Raeford, North Carolina|
|Length:||4.7 mi (7.6 km)|
In 1954, US 15A was rerouted onto a bypass around Raeford, the old alignment through downtown was unnumbered until around the early 1960s, when it became US 401 Business. The route follows Harris Avenue, Main Street, and Central Avenue.
|0.0||0.0||US 401 – Laurinburg|
|0.8||1.3||NC 211 east (Main Street) – Red Springs, Lumberton||East end of NC 211 overlap|
|0.9||1.4||NC 211 west (Main Street) – Aberdeen, Pinehurst||West end of NC 20 and 211 overlap|
|1.2||1.9||NC 20 east (Saint Pauls Road) – Saint Pauls||East end of NC 20 overlap|
|4.7||7.6||US 401 – Fayetteville|
Fayetteville business loop 
U.S. Route 401 Business
|Location:||Fayetteville, North Carolina|
|Length:||9.6 mi (15.4 km)|
Established in late 1960s from a renumbering of US 401, this business loop goes through Fayetteville via Raeford Road, Robeson Street, Martin Luther King Jr Freeway, and Ramsey Street.
|0.0||0.0||US 401 – Raeford, Laurinburg|
|1.0||1.6||NC 59 south (Hope Mills Road) – Hope Mills|
|2.0||3.2||All American Expressway – Fort Bragg, Pope Army Airfield|
|5.0||8.0||NC 87 south (Martin Luther King Jr Freeway)||South end of NC 87 overlap|
|6.3||10.1||NC 24 / NC 87 north (Bragg Boulevard)||North end of NC 87 overlap|
|9.6||15.4||US 401 – Lillington|
See also 
- Black River
- Cape Fear River
- Cross Creek Mall
- Lumber River
- Lynches River
- Neuse River
- Pee Dee River
- Raleigh Convention Center
- Tar River
- Robert V. Droz (14 November 2006). "Termini and Lengths in Miles". U. S Highways: From US 1 to (US 830). Robert V. Droz. Retrieved October 1, 2007.
- Google Inc. Google Maps – US 401 in South Carolina (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=W+Calhoun+St&daddr=34.2742941,-79.9169725+to:US-15+N%2FUS-401+N&hl=en&ll=34.323024,-79.900818&spn=0.922062,1.783905&sll=34.67677,-79.524879&sspn=0.057386,0.111494&geocode=FXalBQIdUAs2-w%3BFfb7CgIdVJA8-ynF37kn_m9ViDGbOlypXahNBA%3BFQZNEQId621C-w&mra=dme&mrsp=2&sz=14&via=1&t=p&z=10. Retrieved February 26, 2013.
- Google Inc. Google Maps – US 401 in North Carolina (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=US-15+N%2FUS-401+N%2FMcColl+Rd&daddr=35.00837,-79.16721+to:35.339961,-78.7871449+to:35.78398,-78.64154+to:36.28864,-78.22832+to:US-1+S%2FUS-401+S&hl=en&ll=35.737595,-79.255371&spn=3.731596,7.13562&sll=35.800551,-78.54744&sspn=0.466131,0.891953&geocode=FUpNEQIdSm5C-w%3BFXIvFgIdFgFI-ykR7R4-kTmriTFfZJluISWfLw%3BFbk-GwIduM1N-ykR3CYzV3yriTHkkukCxYzYOQ%3BFSwFIgIdfAZQ-yl9XZ7Lbl-siTEfS-auHv4M0A%3BFYC4KQIdoFRW-ylrcZZYNMGtiTGSCPr895I9KQ%3BFYJ2LQIdF-lW-w&vpsrc=6&mra=dpe&mrsp=3&sz=11&via=1,2,3,4&t=p&z=8. Retrieved November 29, 2011.
- "NCDOT: US 401 Corridor Study". Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- "NCDOT: US 401 Corridor Study Project Map". Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- "NCDOT: Project R-2609". Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- Staff. "Project Status: Northern Project". I-73 Environmental Impact Study. South Carolina Department of Transportation. Retrieved February 26, 2013.
- South Carolina Department of Transportation (PDF). I-73 Northern Map (Map). Bennettsvile inset. http://www.i73insc.com/download/northernpage/bennettsville.pdf. Retrieved February 26, 2013.
- Google Inc. Google Maps – US 401 Bus - Bennettsville (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=S+Carolina+385%2FUS-15+BUS+N%2FW+Main+St%2FShopping+Center+385&daddr=34.6204458,-79.6754929+to:S+Carolina+9+S%2FUS-15+N%2FUS-401+N&hl=en&ll=34.613643,-79.689589&spn=0.029562,0.055747&sll=34.610853,-79.706111&sspn=0.029563,0.055747&geocode=FSsQEAIduKk_-w%3BFR1EEAIdnD9A-ynPgQRNPiNViDFmGgf_k1m7ag%3BFToxEAIdQm5A-w&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=15&via=1&t=p&z=15. Retrieved 2012-08-25.
- "Mapmikey's South Carolina Highways Page: U.S. 401". Retrieved 2012-08-25.
- Google Inc. Google Maps – US 401 Bus - Laurinburg (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=34.7860945,-79.4542232+to:Unknown+road&hl=en&ll=34.77694,-79.455528&spn=0.059008,0.111494&sll=34.784466,-79.455228&sspn=0.007411,0.013937&geocode=FW49EgIdAy9D-w%3BFS7LEgId8Z9D-yknCC8xxNVUiDFH3ZHKSb0JxA%3BFaQJEwIdBNVD-w&vpsrc=6&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=17&via=1&t=p&z=14. Retrieved 2011-11-28.
- "NCRoads.com: U.S. 401". Retrieved 2012-08-25.
- "NCRoads.com: U.S. 15-A". Retrieved 2012-08-25.
- Google Inc. Google Maps – US 401 Bus - Raeford (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Harris+Ave&daddr=34.978835,-79.219355+to:US-401+BUS+S&hl=en&ll=34.987957,-79.196663&spn=0.058857,0.111494&sll=35.005886,-79.177083&sspn=0.007355,0.013937&geocode=FSuvFQIdb-1G-w%3BFRO8FQIdZTVH-ykfMK_wvjCriTG8PT0KsHjMpg%3BFcooFgId8dhH-w&vpsrc=6&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=17&t=p&z=14&via=1. Retrieved 2011-11-28.
- Google Inc. Google Maps – US 401 Bus - Fayetteville (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Skibo+Rd&daddr=35.0486693,-78.8939576+to:Country+Club+Dr&hl=en&ll=35.072717,-78.889389&spn=0.117591,0.222988&sll=35.10489,-78.878134&sspn=0.001837,0.003484&geocode=Ff67FgIdnOtK-w%3BFd3MFgIdeyxM-ymFkr8RLhOriTE85zergeL3OQ%3BFZypFwId-mhM-w&vpsrc=6&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=19&t=p&z=13&via=1. Retrieved 2011-11-28.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: U.S. Route 401|