U.S. Route 521
|Length:||177.3 mi (285.3 km)|
|Existed:||1932 – present|
US 17 / US 17 Alt. in Georgetown, SC
| I-95 near Manning, SC
US 76 / US 76 Bus. / US 378 in Sumter, SC
I-20 in Camden, SC
|North end:||I-485 in Charlotte, NC|
Route description 
South Carolina 
Starting at the city of Georgetown, US 521 runs through the town Andrews to Greeleyville. From here to the city of Manning it is known as the Greeleyville Highway. There is a brief section right before Manning where it runs concurrent with SC 261. In Manning SC 261 branches off and US 521 merges with US 301 for a short distance. It crosses of Interstate 95 and heads to the city of Sumter, South Carolina. In Sumter, it runs together with US Business 378. Leaving Sumter, US 521 is known as Camden Highway. It passes under Interstate 20 and proceeds to Camden. It then goes on to the town of Kershaw, running concurrent with US 601. The final city it goes through before going into North Carolina is Lancaster.
North Carolina 
US 521 traverses 3.8 miles (6.1 km) from the South Carolina state line to Interstate 485. The entire route is a four to six-lane divided highway, split in naming between Lancaster Highway and Johnston Road.
Established in 1932, it was overlapped entirely with SC 26, from Georgetown to the North Carolina state line, where it continued with NC 26 into Pineville, where it ended at US 21/NC 261 (now NC 51. In 1933, SC 26 was decommissioned; followed in 1934 with the decommissioning of NC 26.
In 1949, US 521 was rerouted in Williamsburg County to run directly from Andrews, through Salters and Greeleyville, to Manning; which replaced SC 171 and part of SC 261, the old alignment became part of SC 377 and SC 261. Between 1962-64, US 521 was rerouted at the Sumter-Kershaw county line to Camden; the old alignment became an extension of SC 261.
Between 1986-88, US 521 was moved west onto new highway west of Dalzell, bypassing the town; the old alignment was downgraded to secondary roads.
In 1996, US 521 was rerouted onto Interstate 485, between exits 61 to 65; the old alignment was downgraded to secondary roads. In 2003, AASHTO approved US 521 to be truncated at its current northern terminus at the Johnston Road/Interstate 485 interchange; its old alignment north to Interstate 85 was downgraded to secondary roads.
Junction list 
US 17 / US 17 Alt. – Charleston, Myrtle Beach
|US 521 begins; north end of US 17 Alt. overlap|
US 17 Alt. (Saints Delight Road) – Jamestown, Moncks Corner
|South end of US 17 Alt. overlap|
US 521 Bus. – Andrews
To SC 41 Bus. – Andrews
|19.5||31.4||SC 41 (County Line Road) – Jamestown, Charleston||South end of SC 41 overlap|
US 521 Bus. / SC 41 (County Line Road) – Hemingway
|North end of SC 41 overlap|
|38.0||61.2||SC 377 (Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue) – Lane, Kingstree|
|45.5||73.2||US 52 (Williamsburg County Road) – Charleston, Kingstree|
|Greeleyville||48.5||78.1||SC 375 south (Gourdin Road) – St. Stephen, Charleston|
||60.5||97.4||SC 261 east (Kingstree Highway) – Kingstree||East end of SC 261 overlap|
|Manning||63.5||102.2||SC 261 west (Boyce Street)||West end of SC 261 overlap|
|64.0||103.0||US 301 south (Brooks Street)||South end of US 301 overlap|
|65.5||105.4||US 301 north – Turbeville||North end of US 301 overlap|
|67.0||107.8||I-95 – Florence, Savannah|
To US 521 Conn. (Guignard Parkway)
|80.5||129.6||US 15 south (Pocalla Road)||South end of US 15 overlap|
|82.3||132.4||US 76 (Liberty Street) / SC 763|
|82.6||132.9||US 15 north (Lafayette Street) / US 401 north (Calhoun Street)||North end of US 15 and US 401 overlap|
US 76 Bus. north (Washington Street) / US 401 north (Calhoun Street)
|East end of US 76 Bus. overlap, south end and terminus of US 401 overlap|
US 15 Conn. south / US 521 Conn. south (Bultman Drive)
US 76 / US 76 Bus. / US 378 – Columbia, Turbeville
|West end of US 76 Bus. overlap|
|Dalzell||93.5||150.5||SC 441 (Peach Orchard Road) – Bishopville, Shaw Air Force Base|
||107.0||172.2||SC 261 (Boykin Road)|
|Camden||110.0||177.0||I-20 – Columbia, Florence|
|111.0||178.6||US 1 / US 601 / SC 34 (Dekalb Street) – Columbia, Cheraw, Bishopville||South end of US 601 overlap|
|113.0||181.9||SC 97 north (Liberty Hill Road) – Great Falls|
||Kershaw||133.0||214.0||SC 341 south (Marion Street) – Bethune|
|133.3||214.5||US 601 north (Hilton Street) – Pageland||North end of US 601 overlap|
|Heath Springs||139.0||223.7||SC 522 south (Caston Street) – Liberty Hill|
|Pleasant Hill||142.0||228.5||SC 522 north (Rocky River Road)|
US 521 Bus. north (Kershaw Camden Highway)
|149.0||239.8||SC 903 (Flat Creek Road)|
|150.0||241.4||SC 9 (Pageland Highway) – Pageland|
|152.0||244.6||SC 200 (Monroe Road) – Monroe|
US 521 Bus. south (Main Street)
|159.0||255.9||SC 5 north (Rock Hill Highway) – Rock Hill|
|161.5||259.9||SC 75 south (Rebound Road)||South end of SC 75 overlap|
|165.0||265.5||SC 75 north (Waxhaw Highway) – Waxhaw||North end of SC 75 overlap|
|Indian Land||172.0||276.8||SC 160 north (Fort Mill Highway) – Fort Mill|
|South Carolina–North Carolina state line|
||Charlotte||1.0||1.6||Lancaster Highway – Pineville|
|3.8||6.1||I-485 – Matthews, Pineville||US 521 ends|
Bannered routes 
Andrews business loop 
U.S. Route 521 Business
|Location:||Andrews, South Carolina|
|Length:||3.2 mi (5.1 km)|
It is a 3.2 miles (5.1 km) route follows the old US 521 mainline route through downtown Andrews, via Main Street.
Sumter connector 
U.S. Route 521 Connector
|Location:||Sumter, South Carolina|
|Length:||4.7 mi (7.6 km)|
It is a 4.7 miles (7.6 km) spur route that goes east around Sumter (along Guignard Drive), connecting to US 15, in the south-end of Sumter.
Camden truck route 
U.S. Route 521 Truck
|Location:||Camden, South Carolina|
|Length:||6.9 mi (11.1 km)|
U.S. Route 521 Truck is an alternate route for trucks to avoid downtown Camden. The route takes various roads including: Ehrenclou Drive, Chestnut Ferry Road, Jefferson Davis Highway (in concurrency with US 1/US 601/SC 34), Springdale Drive, and Boykin Road (in concurrency with US 601 Truck).
Kershaw business loop 
U.S. Route 521 Business
|Location:||Kershaw, South Carolina|
|Length:||1.4 mi (2.3 km)|
Lancaster business loop 
U.S. Route 521 Business
|Location:||Lancaster, South Carolina|
|Length:||3.8 mi (6.1 km)|
Following the old US 521 mainline route, this 3.8 miles (6.1 km) business loop goes through downtown Lancaster, via Main Street.
See also 
- Google Inc. Google Maps – US 521 (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Highmarket+St&daddr=33.4418741,-79.5842562+to:33.699999,-80.2089717+to:33.704313,-80.2087611+to:Johnston+Rd&hl=en&geocode=Fcg9_QEd3iZG-w%3BFVJI_gEdAKRB-ynzeAlm3s3_iDHpZq8NR6Jkqg%3BFZ84AgIdtRs4-ynL5v5iagz_iDFzY8kBdaii9A%3BFXlJAgIdhxw4-yn5jLzGaQz_iDEJ0Ox15d1ljQ%3BFaISFwIdxGcu-w&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=14&via=1,2,3&sll=33.438819,-79.563246&sspn=0.053503,0.111494&ie=UTF8&ll=34.563121,-80.093079&spn=1.689521,3.56781&z=9. Retrieved 2011-01-31.
- "US 521 Route Change (2003-09-15)" (PDF). North Carolina Department of Transportation. September 15, 2003. Retrieved January 27, 2013.
- "Mapmikey's South Carolina Highways Page: US 521". Retrieved 2012-01-15.
- "NCRoads.com: U.S. 521". Retrieved 2012-01-15.
- Google Inc. Google Maps – US 521 Business - Andrews (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=US-521+N%2FGeorgetown+Hwy&daddr=W+Main+St&hl=en&geocode=FXck_gEdBndC-w%3BFRCG_gEd_sRB-w&mra=me&mrcr=0&mrsp=1,0&sz=16&sll=33.455559,-79.573781&sspn=0.013373,0.027874&ie=UTF8&ll=33.447342,-79.553032&spn=0.053498,0.111494&z=14. Retrieved 2011-02-02.
- Google Inc. Google Maps – US 521 Connector - Sumter (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=S+Guignard+Dr&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=en&geocode=FVD_BAIdTvE1-w%3BFQL1BQIdyJw1-w&mra=me&mrcr=0&mrsp=1,0&sz=17&sll=33.944116,-80.369872&sspn=0.006649,0.013937&ie=UTF8&ll=33.90889,-80.322247&spn=0.106422,0.222988&z=13. Retrieved 2011-02-02.
- Google Inc. Google Maps – US 521 Truck - Camden (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=US-521+N%2FSumter+Hwy&daddr=34.245359,-80.622755+to:34.2857464,-80.6266598+to:N+Broad+St&hl=en&ll=34.263033,-80.5933&spn=0.115341,0.222988&sll=34.274418,-80.622096&sspn=0.028831,0.055747&geocode=FVxSCgIdLQ4y-w%3BFe-KCgIdXcsx-ylxl_86rvBViDFPNvxWk3CjRw%3BFbIoCwIdHbwx-ynPiJplfvBViDGidqOg-aKhBw%3BFVA7CwId7vcx-w&mra=dpe&mrsp=2&sz=15&via=1,2&t=p&z=13. Retrieved January 27, 2013.
- Google Inc. Google Maps – US 521 Business - Kershaw (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Matson+St&daddr=34.551255,-80.58357+to:Unknown+road&hl=en&ll=34.550998,-80.576906&spn=0.029585,0.055747&sll=34.561372,-80.585264&sspn=0.00736,0.013937&geocode=FZgQDwIdcWky-w%3BFdc1DwIdbmQy-yndbi7aqMNViDFznWyiGYB_dA%3BFepeDwIdFFUy-w&vpsrc=6&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=17&t=p&z=15&via=1. Retrieved 2012-01-15.
- Google Inc. Google Maps – US 521 Business - Lancaster (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=US-521+N%2FKershaw+Camden+Hwy&daddr=34.7088259,-80.7642961+to:34.7185482,-80.7698236+to:N+Main+St&hl=en&geocode=FfBbEQIdlPov-w%3BFVmdEQIdeKIv-yk9DcBAdddViDFbyVzTPtRm1g%3BFVTDEQId4Ywv-ylxsZbzptdViDE3IlTEPHvHww%3BFZAGEgIdhm0v-w&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=3&sz=15&via=1,2&sll=34.729445,-80.765734&sspn=0.026347,0.055747&ie=UTF8&ll=34.715371,-80.7514&spn=0.105405,0.222988&z=13. Retrieved 2011-02-02.