U.S. Route 52 in South Carolina
|Maintained by SCDOT|
|Length:||159.7 mi (257.0 km)|
|Existed:||1935 – present|
|South end:||Line Street in Charleston|
| I-26 / US 17 in Charleston
US 78 in Charleston
I-526 in North Charleston
US 17 Alt. in Moncks Corner
US 521 near Greeleyville
US 378 in Lake City
US 301 / SC 341 in Effingham
US 76 in Florence
I-95 in Florence
US 1 / SC 9 in Cheraw
|North end:||US 52 at the NC line, near Cheraw|
|Counties:||Charleston, Berkeley, Williamsburg, Florence, Darlington, Chesterfield|
U.S. Route 52 (US 52) is a North–South U.S. Highway that runs 161 miles (259 km) from Charleston to the North Carolina state line near Cheraw. It serves as a strategic highway through the central South Carolina.
US 52 begins at the intersection of Meeting and Line Streets, in Charleston. Going northwest along Meeting Street, it connects with I-26/US 17, followed by Morrison Drive (US 52 Spur hidden); US 52 signage begin to appear north of Morrison Drive. In North Charleston, it shares a concurrency with US 78 for 11 miles (18 km), splitting near Goose Creek. In Moncks Corner it connects with US 17 Alt briefly as it enters and traverses through Francis Marion National Forest. Continuing north, it goes through St. Stephen, Kingstree and Lake City, before joining another short concurrency with US 301 from Effingham to Florence. Through downtown Florence, it goes northwest and bypasses Darlington and joining another concurrency with US 401. At Society Hill, it merges briefly with US 15 before continuing north again solo to Cheraw, where it overlaps briefly with US 1 and SC 9. US 52 crosses the North Carolina state line, after traveling 159.7 miles (257.0 km) through South Carolina, continuing on towards Wadesboro.
US 52 is a major highway between Charleston and Florence, all of which is four-lane or more with some sections signed 60-mile-per-hour (97 km/h). North of Darlington, it becomes mostly a two-lane rural highway through the remainder of its route. Though the majority of its routing and signage is north-south, some sections will also be signed east-west at various parts of the state.
Dedicated and memorial names
US 52 in South Carolina feature a few dedicated or memorialized stretches of freeway.
- Blue Star Memorial Highway – Official honorary name of US 52 in Berkeley County. Markers are located in Moncks Corner, Pineville, and St. Stephen.
- L. Lawson Rhodes Highway – Is a dedicated section of US 52 located in Chesterfield County. Dedicated in August, 2013, it is in honor of Patrolman L. Lawson Rhodes, who served as a trooper with the South Carolina Highway Patrol, who died on duty in 1938.
US 52 was established in 1935 as a renumbering of US 601 from the North Carolina state line to Florence and US 17 from Florence to Charleston. In 1939, US 52 was rerouted into a concurrency with US 78 in North Charleston, leaving a section of Meeting Street. Also in same year, Cheraw to the North Carolina state line was the last section to be paved; while the first section of US 52 was widen to four-lane from Charleston to Durant Avenue, in North Charleston.
In 1940, US 52 was rerouted onto new alignment west of Lake City. In 1948, US 52 was taken off King Street and placed on Meeting Street to Lee Street, in Charleston. Around 1952-1969, US 52 was split during that period in Florence, with northbound along Irby Street and southboudn along Coit Avenue; before and after it was solely on Irby Street. Also around 1952, US 52 was bypassed west of Kingstree on new primary routing; the old route through town remained part of SC 261 while Academy Street, Kelly Street and Third Avenue were downgraded to secondary roads (all three SC-45-8).
In 1971, US 52 was moved onto new alignment south of Moncks Corner, leaving behind Old Highway 52 (S-8-791). By 1973, US 52 was placed on new primary routing bypassing west around Darlington, leaving behind US 52 Bus.
|Charleston||Charleston||0.0||0.0||Line Street||Southern terminus of US 52 (unmarked)|
|0.6||1.0||I-26 west / US 17 north – Mount Pleasant, North Charleston, Columbia|
US 52 Spur south (Morrison Drive) to US 78 / Mount Pleasant Street
|No US 52 Spur signage at intersection|
|North Charleston||3.1||5.0||I-26 west – Columbia||Northbound exit, southbound entrance; access to I-26 east via Spruill Avenue|
|4.3||6.9||US 78 east (Rivers Avenue)||East end of US 78 overlap|
|4.9||7.9||SC 7 south (Cosgrove Avenue)|
|5.0||8.0||SC 642 west (Dorchester Road) – Summerville|
|8.0||12.9||I-526 – Mount Pleasant, Savannah|
|12.7||20.4||I-26 east – Charleston||No northbound exit|
|14.2||22.9||US 78 west (University Avenue) / N.A.D. Road – Summerville||West end of US 78 overlap; to Charleston Southern University and Navel Weapons Station|
|Berkeley||Goose Creek||16.0||25.7||US 176 west (St. James Avenue) / Red Bank Road – Holly Hill|
|Moncks Corner||30.5||49.1||SC 6 west (Main Street) – Holly Hill|
US 17 Alt. south (Live Oak Drive) – Summerville
|South end of US 17 Alt overlap|
|33.0||53.1||To SC 402 – Cordesville, Huger|
US 17 Alt. north – Georgetown
|North end of US 17 Alt overlap|
|St. Stephen||46.3||74.5||SC 45 (Ravenell Drive) – Jamestown, Pineville|
|Williamsburg||56.4||90.8||SC 375 (Gourdin Road) – Gourdin, Greeleyville|
|61.4||98.8||US 521 – Salters, Greeleyville|
|68.4||110.1||SC 261 north (Manning Highway) – Manning||North end of SC 261 overlap|
|Kingstree||71.0||114.3||SC 261 south (Main Street) / SC 527 south (Longstreet Street) – Andrews, Hemingway||South end of SC 261/SC 527 overlap|
|71.5||115.1||SC 527 north (Academy Street) – Sumter||North end of SC 527 overlap|
|Cades||80.4||129.4||SC 512 east / Cade Road – Cades, Hebron|
US 378 Bus. / SC 341 (Main Street) – Johnsonville, Olanta, Sumter
|87.9||141.5||US 378 – Conway, Sumter|
|Coward||93.3||150.2||SC 541 west (Salem Road) – Olanta|
|Effingham||100.0||160.9||US 301 south (Olanta Highway) / SC 327 north (Effingham Highway) – Evergreen, Olanta, Manning||South end of US 301 overlap|
|Florence||106.0||170.6||US 301 north (Freedom Boulevard) – Marion||North end of US 301 overlap|
|107.6||173.2||SC 51 south (Pamplico Highway/Second Loop Road)|
|109.5||176.2||US 76 (Palmetto Street) – Marion, Timmonsville||To Francis Marion University|
|112.8||181.5||I-95 – Fayetteville, Savannah|
US 52 Bus. north (Main Street) – Darlington
|119.1||191.7||SC 340 – Darlington, Timmonsville|
|119.7||192.6||US 401 (Lamar Highway) – Sumter||South end of US 401 overlap|
|120.0||193.1||SC 34 / SC 151 (Harry Byrd Highway) – Hartsville|
US 52 Bus. south (Main Street) – Darlington
|134.0||215.7||US 15 south (Hartsville Highway) – Hartsville||South end of US 15 overlap|
|Society Hill||136.2||219.2||US 15 north / US 401 north (Main Street) – Bennettsville||North end of US 15/US 401 overlap|
|Chesterfield||147.2||236.9||US 1 – McBee, Camden||South end of US 1 overlap|
|Cheraw||149.6||240.8||SC 9 north (Market Street) – Chesterfield||North end of SC 9 overlap|
|150.9||242.9||US 1 north / SC 9 south (Power Street) – Wallace, Bennettsville, Rockingham||North end of US 1 and south end of SC 9 overlap|
|State line||159.7||257.0||US 52 north – Wadesboro|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Google Inc. "U.S. Route 52 in South Carolina". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Meeting+St&daddr=32.8492977,-79.9684226+to:32.907174,-80.0217879+to:33.3260389,-79.9489017+to:34.0170112,-79.7513193+to:34.217593,-79.784288+to:34.3243919,-79.898211+to:US-52+N&hl=en&ll=33.674069,-79.486084&spn=3.981172,7.13562&sll=34.267715,-79.890175&sspn=0.247126,0.445976&geocode=Fbxt9AEdojQ8-w%3BFZE99QEdWsc7-yknxJteKXv-iDEIgsvjBEeBYw%3BFaYf9gEd5fY6-ymF17UdnWP-iDF6wkcFR3E1cA%3BFdaD_AEdmxM8-ykjqeJjOFL-iDGDUWMrgF6rcg%3BFfMOBwIdaRc_-ymJd1v1N4v_iDGz4uMO1HAgZA%3BFXkeCgIdoJY--ym7D38yq2dViDHQemWlLFnYfA%3BFae_CwIdndk8-ykPln4jOG5ViDF-ZzhiDT-N-Q%3BFfIdEwId-MU7-w&mra=dpe&mrsp=6&sz=12&via=1,2,3,4,5,6&t=p&z=8. Retrieved November 10, 2013.
- "South Carolina Garden Club - Blue Star Memorial Program". Retrieved November 10, 2013.
- "Highway dedicated to trooper killed in 1938". Continuous News Desk (Florence, SC: CarolinaLive.com). August 2, 2013. Retrieved November 10, 2013.
- "Ptl. L. Lawson Rhodes". Retrieved November 10, 2013.
- "Patrolman L. Lawson Rhodes, South Carolina Highway Patrol, South Carolina". Retrieved November 10, 2013.
- South Carolina Department of Transportation (1971) (PDF). General Highway Map, Darlington County, South Carolina (Map). Cartography by SCDOT. http://digital.tcl.sc.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/scrm/id/731/rec/2. Retrieved November 10, 2013.
- South Carolina Department of Transportation (1973) (PDF). General Highway Map, Darlington County, South Carolina (Map). Cartography by SCDOT. http://digital.tcl.sc.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/scrm/id/767/rec/3. Retrieved November 10, 2013.
- Media related to U.S. Route 52 in South Carolina at Wikimedia Commons
- Mapmikey's South Carolina Highways Page: US 52
|U.S. Route 52|
|South Carolina||Next state: