UCF Knights men's soccer
|University||University of Central Florida|
|Head Coach||Bryan Cunningham (8th year)|
|Stadium||UCF Soccer and Track Stadium
|Colors||Black and Gold
|NCAA Tournament Appearances|
|1982, 1983, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011|
|Conference Tournament Champions|
|1979, 1980, 1981, 2002, 2003, 2004|
|Conference Regular Season Champions|
The University of Central Florida Knights men's soccer program, commonly referred to as the UCF Knights, represents the University of Central Florida in National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA) Division I. The Knights compete in the American Athletic Conference (The American) and play their home games on UCF's main campus in Orlando, Florida at the UCF Soccer and Track Stadium. The Knights are currently led by head coach Bryan Cunningham.
The Knights soccer program began in 1975 under Jim Rudy. The Knights went 10–4–1 that year, defeating St. Leo in their first match 8–0. In 1984, the team made the move to Division I. The Knights were nationally ranked for the first time during the 2010 season, and rose to a program high of No. 8 during the 2011 season.
The Knights have an all-time record of 332–259–51 (86–71–17).
The Knights play their home games at the UCF Soccer and Track Stadium which is a part of Knights Plaza, located on the north end of UCF's main campus in Orlando, Florida. The soccer field is made of natural grass and measures 347 feet (106 m) x 200 feet (61 m).
In 2011, the stadium was heavily renovated, boasting a 2,000 seat capacity with a new 1,475-seat stand, press box, 7,500 square feet (700 m2) clubhouse, restrooms and new entrance on the west side of the facility. The original 500-seat stand was retained as a visitors' stand.
UCF has produced a number of notable soccer stars. Most notably, Eric Vasquez, Sean Johnson and Ryan McIntosh. Vasquez, who made his professional soccer debut with the Columbus Crew in Major League Soccer, later played for Miami FC in the United Soccer Leagues' First Division and the Orlando Sharks of the Major Indoor Soccer League before retiring due to injury. Former Knights Goalkeeper Ryan McIntosh initially played with D.C. United, and after a year with the D.C. United Reserve team, McIntosh signed with the Atlanta Silverbacks of USL Division One, where he led the team to the league final. Both players were a part of the 2004 Central Florida Kraze amateur soccer team that won the Premier Development League's championship by defeating the Boulder Rapids Resevers, 1-0 at the UCF soccer stadium.
Sean Johnson, another former UCF goalkeeper, joined the Chicago Fire of Major League Soccer in 2010. He was a member of the United States U-20 men's national soccer team which qualified for the 2009 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Egypt.
|1979||8–7–0||3–1–0||Sunshine State Tournament Champions|
|1980||12–3–1||3–0–0||Sunshine State Tournament Champions|
|1981||10–3–1||3–1–1||Sunshine State Tournament Champions|
|1982||10–4–2||4–3–0||NCAA Division II Tournament|
|1983||12–4–3||4–2–0||NCAA Division II Tournament|
|1996||10–7–1||4–2–0||TAAC East Division Champions|
|2002||10–8–3||5–2–1||Atlantic Sun Tournament Champions; NCAA First round|
|2003||12–6–3||6–2–1||Atlantic Sun Regular Season and Tournament Champions;
NCAA Second round
|2004||11–7–2||7–2–0||Atlantic Sun Regular Season and Tournament Champions;
NCAA Second round
|2010||12–5–3||4–1–3||NCAA Second round|
|2011||12–6–3||4–3–1||NCAA Second round|
|Totals||348–271–59||95–75–20||660 games (.557)|
|Records are through the conclusion of the 2013 NCAA Season.|
- McMurphy, Brett. "Old Big East now American Athletic". ESPN. Retrieved 4 April 2013.
- UCF Knights – Official Athletics Site – Men's Soccer Roster. Ucfathletics.com. Retrieved on November 16, 2011.
- 2011 UCF Men's Soccer Yearbook. Issuu.com (September 14, 2011). Retrieved on November 16, 2011.
- No. 8 UCF's Historic Unbeaten Streak Halted. Ucfathletics.com (September 24, 2011). Retrieved on November 16, 2011.
- "UCF in the midst of its best sports year ever". Orlando Sentinel. 2010-12-27. Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- UCF Soccer and Track Stadium. Ucfathletics.cstv.com. Retrieved on November 16, 2011.
- UCF to Open New Stadium With Thursday's Twilight Meet. Ucfathletics.cstv.com (May 3, 2011). Retrieved on November 16, 2011.
- Salvas, Pat (January 25, 2011). "Former UCF Goalkeeper Sean Johnson Makes Debut with U.S. Men's National Team". UCFAthletics.com. Orlando, Florida: University of Central Florida. Retrieved November 8, 2011.
- UCF Athletics Player Bio: Eric Vasquez. Ucfathletics.com (November 18, 1982). Retrieved on November 16, 2011.
- Ryan McIntosh. D.C.United (March 28, 2006). Retrieved on November 16, 2011.
- Silverbacks Edge Out Charlotte In 1-0 Win. Atlantasilverbacks.com (June 26, 2007). Retrieved on November 16, 2011.
- Sounders Win Championship Rematch. Soccernet.espn.go.com (May 5, 2008). Retrieved on November 16, 2011.
- Central Florida Wins 2004 PDL Title. Pdl.uslsoccer.com (August 7, 2004). Retrieved on November 16, 2011.
- 2010 MLS SuperDraft[dead link]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to University of Central Florida.|