The UCLPartners logo
|Hospital type||Academic Health Science Centre Academic Health Science Network|
|Lists||Hospitals in England|
UCLPartners is an academic health science partnership located in London, England with over 40 higher education and NHS members. It is the largest academic health science partnership in the world, and together with its member organisations, forms a major centre of medical discovery, healthcare innovation and education. The partners come together to improve health outcomes and create wealth for a population of over six million people in north east and north central London, south and west Hertfordshire, south Bedfordshire and south west and mid Essex.
UCLPartners brings together over 100,000 health professionals and academics from hospital and university member organisations and more to work in partnership and further collaborate with patient groups, commissioners, primary care, community care, the third sector, government and industry on a portfolio of health programmes.
UCLPartners is unique because it facilitates the improvement of healthcare through a range of clinical and academic designated roles:
- Academic Health Science Centre (AHSC)
- Academic Health Science Network (AHSN)
- Education Lead Provider
It is aligned with:
- NIHR Collaboration for Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care (CLAHRC) North Thames
- NIHR Clinical Research Network North Thames (CRN)
UCLPartners is the only academic health science partnership in the United Kingdom to align these NHS and Department of Health designated roles under one umbrella.
- The Government recommended the establishment of a number of academic health science centres in the UK.
- Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Trust, Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Royal Free Hampstead NHS Trust (now Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust), UCL and University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust announced intention to form UCLPartners.
- Professor Sir Cyril Chantler appointed as first Chair of UCLPartners.
- UCLPartners officially designated as one of the UK’s first AHSCs by the UK Department of Health.
- Professor Sir David Fish appointed as Managing Director.
- Alliance formed between UCL, UCLPartners, Yale University and Yale-New Haven Hospital.
The governing body of UCLPartners is UCL Partners Ltd, a company limited by guaranteed. The governance arrangements consist of:
- A board led by an independent chair (currently Rt Hon Professor Lord Kakkar, PC).
- An executive group comprising the chief executives of trusts, representatives of universities and other relevant bodies.
- Internationally renowned clinical academics to direct programmes for research, service delivery and education.
Areas of focus
UCLPartners works across its designations in a range of areas, including:
- Children, young people and maternal health
- Eyes and vision
- Infection, immunity and inflammation
- Mental health
- Co-morbidities/complex care
- Quality and value
- Wealth creation
- Patient insight and involvement
UCLPartners is also involved in:
- Healthcare in London
- Genomics England
- UCLH/UCL Biomedical Research Centre
- Medical Research Council
- Francis Crick Institute
- "Who we are". www.uclpartners.com. UCLPartners. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- "Healthcare for London: a framework for action" (PDF). NHS London. 11 July 2007. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- "Europe’s largest academic health science partnership created in London". www.ucl.ac.uk. UCL. 7 August 2008. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- "Professor Sir Cyril Chantler appointed Chair of UCLPartners". www.ucl.ac.uk. UCL. 12 November 2008. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- "UCLPartners is one of UK’s first Academic Health Science Centres". www.ucl.ac.uk. UCL. 9 March 2009.
- "UCLPartners: managing director and programme directors appointed". www.ucl.ac.uk. UCL. 12 June 2009. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- "UCLPartners and Yale unite to improve global health". www.ucl.ac.uk. UCL. 8 October 2009. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- "NHS England OKs 15 Academic Health Science Networks". www.pharmatimes.com. PharmaTimes. 23 May 2013. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- "NIHR CLAHRC North Thames". www.uclpartners.com. UCLPartners. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- "Top NHS and university alliances recognised by Department of Health". www.gov.uk. Department of Health. 29 November 2013. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- "NIHR Clinical Research Network North Thames". www.uclpartners.com. UCLPartners. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- "Our Board". www.uclpartners.com. UCLPartners. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- University College London
- UCL School of Life and Medical Sciences
- Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Trust
- Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust
- University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- To build a biomedical research cluster in London