UC San Diego Health System
|UC San Diego Health System|
|UC San Diego Health System|
UC San Diego Medical Center Logo
|Location||San Diego, California, United States|
|Affiliated university||University of California, San Diego|
|Emergency department||Level I trauma center|
|Lists||Hospitals in California|
UC San Diego Health System is the only academic health system in San Diego and is dedicated to delivering outstanding patient care through commitment to the community, groundbreaking research and inspired teaching. In operation since 1966, it is composed of UC San Diego Medical Center, Thornton Hospital, Moores Cancer Center, Shiley Eye Center, Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center and Jacobs Medical Center (opening in 2016), as well as several outpatient sites located throughout San Diego County.
Reputation and awards
Current awards & rankings
- In 2014, UC San Diego Health System receives Healthgrades’ “Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence,” an honor only bestowed upon the top 5 percent of hospitals in the U.S. Top performing hospitals were selected based on clinical excellence across a broad spectrum of care in specialty areas, such as cardiac surgery, gastrointestinal, neurosurgery, pulmonary and critical care.
- UC San Diego Health System consistently receives “A” ratings from The Leapfrog Group’s Hospital Safety Score™ which represents its overall performance in keeping patients safe from preventable harm and medical errors.
- In 2013, UC San Diego Health System is ranked #1 in the San Diego metropolitan area and #5 in California according to U.S. News & World Report’s 24th annual “America’s Best Hospitals” issue. To be ranked in its metro area, a hospital has to score in the top 25 percent among its peers in at least one of 16 medical specialties.
- In 2013, UC San Diego Health System is ranked in the annual U.S. News & World Report‘s “Best Hospitals” issue for the 20th consecutive year and consistently ranks among the best in multiple specialties, including cancer (#42), cardiology and heart surgery (#42), diabetes and endocrinology (#29), ear, nose and throat (#48), gastroenterology and gastrointestinal (GI) surgery (#31), geriatrics (#20), nephrology (#17), neurology and neurosurgery (#42), pulmonology (#9) and urology (#22). The following specialties are ranked as “high-performing”: gynecology, orthopedics, psychiatry and rheumatology.
- In 2013, UC San Diego Medical Center has been named one of the nation’s 100 Top Hospitals® twice by Truven Health Analytics, a leading provider of information and solutions to improve the cost and quality of health care. The study evaluates performance in 10 areas: mortality, medical complications, patient safety, average patient stay, expenses, profitability, patient satisfaction, adherence to clinical standards of care, post-discharge mortality, and readmission rates for acute myocardial infarction, heart failure and pneumonia.
- In 2012, UC San Diego Medical Center was one of 12 hospitals to receive the Everest Award from Thomson Reuters. This award honors hospitals that have achieved both the highest level of current performance, as well as the fastest long-term improvement over a five-year period in Reuters’ national benchmarking study.
- UC San Diego Health System physicians are consistently named by their peers at the San Diego County Medical Society as “Top Doctors” in San Diego Magazine’s “Physicians of Exceptional Excellence” annual survey.
- For five consecutive years, UC San Diego Health System has been among the nation’s 100 “Most Wired” hospitals, and for four years, one of the 25 “Most Wireless,” according to Hospitals & Health Networks.
UC San Diego Hillcrest Medical Center
The UC San Diego Medical Center, Hillcrest (), is the primary hospital for the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine.
The region's only academic medical center offers both primary care and specialized services, including a full range of surgery, diagnosis and management of genetic disease, neurology, orthopedics, oncology, and the Sleep Medicine Center.
The recently renovated 386-bed hospital at UC San Diego Medical Center, Hillcrest, is also the primary site for such regional services as the Comprehensive Organ Transplant Program, Bone Marrow Transplantation, San Diego Regional Burn Center, Infant Special Care Center (NICU), UCSD's Birth Center, San Diego County's only academic Level One Trauma Center, and the National Institutes of Health-designated Clinical Research Center.
UC San Diego Thornton Hospital
The John M. and Sally B. Thornton Hospital and Perlman Ambulatory Care Center (Dean of the School of Medicine, performed the first surgery at this hospital. It was a delicate brain operation. It is located on the UCSD campus in La Jolla, California. It is a 119-bed general medical-surgical facility that offers a full range of services, including surgery, cardiology, endocrinology, neurology, orthopedics, oncology, reproductive medicine, pulmonary medicine and physical therapy. Thornton Hospital has a hotel-like atmosphere and patients staying in the intermediate care wing of the hospital can order room service meals at any time of the day.) opened in the summer of 1993. John Alksne, a neurosurgeon and the
UC San Diego Moores Cancer Center
Established in 1979, UC San Diego Moores Cancer Center is one of just 41 National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Centers in the United States. Such centers are prominent among the leading institutions in the nation dedicated to scientific innovation and clinical excellence. Moores Cancer Center is the only Comprehensive Cancer Center in San Diego and Imperial counties to have earned this honor.
UC San Diego Shiley Eye Center
UC San Diego Shiley Eye Center provides comprehensive eye care services, from basic eye exams to advanced diagnostic tests and sophisticated surgery. Eye care services offered at Shiley Eye Center include cataract surgery, cornea transplants, glaucoma diagnosis and treatment, low vision services, neuro-ophthalmology, optometry and contact lens service, pediatric ophthalmology, plastic surgery, refractive surgery, retina care, and trauma repair.
The Abraham Ratner Children's Eye is immediately adjacent to Shiley and is the only eye facility in the San Diego region dedicated to meeting the special vision needs of children.
UC San Diego Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center
UC San Diego Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center provides ambulatory, clinical, and inpatient heart and stroke care in one central location. Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center is the region's first academic-based facility to combine all heart and vascular-related services, programs and technology under one roof.
On May 18, 2007, the UC Regents approved a plan to build an additional 125- to 150-bed inpatient tower in La Jolla.
On November 19, 2010, the UC Regents approved a plan to build a new building for Clinical and Translational Research Institute (CTRI). This building is planned to have 311,000 gross square feet at a cost of $269 million.
- "Health Sciences Facts and Figures". UC San Diego Health Sciences. 2010. Retrieved 2011-01-13.
- "2010 Top Doctors: The List". San Diego Magazine. October 2010. Retrieved 2011-01-12.
- "Wired Health Winners". Health Care's Most Wired. 2010-05-04. Retrieved 2011-01-12.
- "History and Milestones at UCSD Medical Center". Health.ucsd.edu. Retrieved 2011-01-26.
- "UCSD's Thornton Hospital's Address, Directions, Map & Phone Number". Health.ucsd.edu. 2007-09-25. Retrieved 2011-01-26.
- POSTED: 1:29 pm PDT June 5, 2006 (2006-06-05). "Hospital Serves Up Room Service To Patients - Staying Healthy News Story - KGTV San Diego". 10news.com. Retrieved 2011-01-26.
- "Best Hospitals 2013 Specialty Search: Cancer". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved 2013-09-25.
- Franz, Leslie (2007-05-18). "Regents Approve Plan for New UCSD Inpatient Bed Tower". University of California, San Diego Medical Center. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- Philippidis, Alex (2010-11-19). "UPDATE: UC Board of Regents OKs $269M Clinical and Translational Building for UCSD". GenomeWeb Daily News. Retrieved 2010-11-29.
- UC San Diego Health System
- UC San Diego Moores Cancer Center
- UC San Diego Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center
- UC San Diego Jacobs Medical Center
- This hospital in the CA Healthcare Atlas A project by OSHPD