UC Davis School of Medicine
|University of California, Davis, School of Medicine|
|Academic staff||583 full-time faculty and 1,800 volunteer clinical faculty |
|Location||Sacramento, California, USA
Founded in 1966, the UC Davis School of Medicine graduated its first class of physicians in 1972. The school maintains research facilities on the Davis campus while the majority of the school's teaching and clinical space is located in Sacramento, 17 miles to the east of the Davis campus. With the December 2006 opening of its new Education Building, the school recently transitioned all medical school classes to the Sacramento campus. Research activities will continue at both campuses for the foreseeable future.
The school gained national attention when an applicant challenged the school's affirmative action admissions policy. The Supreme Court of the United States, in Regents of the University of California v. Bakke, 438 U.S. 265 (1978), ruled that the applicant had unconstitutionally been denied admission, and Bakke was admitted.
Admissions and ranking
As a result of UC Davis School of Medicine's reputation for excellence in education, small class size, and desirable location in Northern California, admissions is highly competitive. In 2011, the school received 4,792 applications, offered interviews to 460 applicants of which 100 matriculated. The acceptance rate for applicants to UC Davis School of Medicine is approximately 5%. For 2014, US News and World Report ranks UC Davis School of Medicine #16 based on primary care methodology and #40 based on research methodology.
UC Davis Medical Center, located in Sacramento, is one of five teaching hospitals in the University of California system. It ranks among the top 50 hospitals in America, according to an annual survey published by U.S. News and World Report. Other hospitals affiliated with UC Davis school of medicine include:
- UC Davis Children's Hospital
- UC Davis Cancer Center
- Shriners Hospitals for Children-Northern California
- Sacramento VA Medical Center
- Kaiser Permanente Medical Centers in Sacramento, Roseville, and South Sacramento
Faculty in the School of Medicine specializes in a wide range of basic and applied research, including those related to neuroscience, cancer biology, vascular biology, genetic diseases and functional genomics, health services, infectious diseases, nutrition, telemedicine, and vision science. The school receives approximately $90 million in NIH funding annually. About half of UC Davis medical students conduct research during their training.
Primary Care Network
The UC Davis Medical Center operates a network of clinics that provides outpatient medical services to members of the HMO that UC Davis operates. These clinics are staffed by UC Davis medical school faculty and also by staff physicians hired directly by the primary care network (PCN).
UC Davis School of Medicine is known[according to whom?] for the quality of its student-run clinics, which offer free primary care to the uninsured, low-income and other underserved population of Sacramento and surrounding areas. These clinics provide patients quality health care and allow UC Davis medical students to gain real world clinical experience during the early stages of their training.
- Shifa Community Clinic
- Clinica Tepati
- Knights Landing Clinic
- Imani Clinic at Oak Park
- Joan Viteri Memorial Clinic
- Paul Hom Asian Clinic
- Bayanihan Clinic
- Willow Clinic
- VN CARES (Vietnamese Cancer Awareness Research and Education Society)
- "About UCDSOM". Retrieved 2006-09-21.
- "UC Davis School of Medicine". Retrieved 2006-09-21.
- "MSAR". Retrieved 2010-06-30.[dead link]
- "US News information on UC DAVIS SOM". Retrieved 2007-11-30.
- "Best Medical Schools: Research". Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- "Best Medical Schools: Primary Care". Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- "NIH Funding 2005". Retrieved 2006-11-01.
- "UC Davis Health System – Accessing Virtual Hallucinations". www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu. Retrieved 2008-04-02.
- University of California, Davis, School of Medicine - UC Davis School of Medicine
- UC Davis School of Medicine on the DavisWiki