|Initial release||February 13, 2000|
|Stable release||0.9.33.2 (May 15, 2012[±])|
|Operating system||Embedded Linux|
|License||GNU Lesser General Public License|
In computing, uClibc is a small C standard library intended for Linux kernel-based operating systems for embedded systems and mobile devices. uClibc was created to support μClinux, a version of Linux not requiring a memory management unit and thus suited for microcontrollers (uCs; the "u" is a romanization of μ for "micro").
uClibc is much smaller than the glibc, the C library normally used with Linux distributions. While glibc is intended to fully support all relevant C standards across a wide range of hardware and kernel platforms, uClibc is specifically focused on embedded Linux. Features can be enabled or disabled according to space requirements.
uClibc runs on standard and MMU-less Linux systems. It supports i386, x86-64, ARM (big/little endian), AVR32, Blackfin, h8300, m68k, MIPS (big/little endian), PowerPC, SuperH (big/little endian), SPARC, and v850 processors.
In order to achieve this, Buildroot is able to build a required cross-compilation toolchain, create a root filesystem, compile a Linux kernel image, and generate a boot loader for the targeted embedded system. Also, Buildroot can be used for any independent combination of these available options. For example, an already existing cross-compilation toolchain can be used, while Buildroot is used only for the creation of a root file system.
Buildroot is useful mainly while working with small or embedded systems, using various CPU architectures – including x86, ARM, MIPS, and PowerPC. Numerous processors, architectures and their variants are supported; it also comes with default configurations for several off-the-shelf available embedded boards, for example Cubieboard. Besides that, numerous third-party projects are having their build systems based on Buildroot, for example OpenWrt.
- "µClibc News". µClibc. 2012-02-01. Retrieved 2012-03-24.
- uClibc FAQ: Licensing
- uClibc naming Accessed on February 10, 2008.
- "Buildroot: Making embedded Linux easy". buildroot.org. Retrieved 2013-10-18.
- "The Buildroot user manual" (PDF). buildroot.org. Retrieved 2013-10-18.
- "Buildroot ChangeLog". git.buildroot.net. Retrieved 2013-10-21.
- "OpenWrt Buildroot – About". openwrt.org. Retrieved 2013-10-21.
- "History". uClibc FAQ. Retrieved 2007-06-19.
- "uClibc Changelog". Archived from the original on 2007-06-09. Retrieved 2007-06-19. "pthreads support (derived from glibc 2.1.3's linuxthreads library) [...] Merged in the random number support (rand, srand, etc) from glibc."
- Karim Yaghmour, Jon Masters, Gilad Ben-Yossef, Philippe Gerum (2008). Building Embedded Linux Systems (2 ed.). O'Reilly Media. pp. 115–127. ISBN 0-596-52968-6.
- von Hagen, William L. (2006). The Definitive Guide to GCC, Second Edition. Berkeley, CA: APress. pp. 290–297. ISBN 1-59059-585-8.
- Project home page
- uClibc at Freecode
- Comparison of C/POSIX standard library implementations for Linux