|UFC 106: Ortiz vs. Griffin 2|
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||November 21, 2009|
|Venue||Mandalay Bay Events Center|
|City||Las Vegas, Nevada|
As with UFC 103 and UFC 104, a portion of the preliminary card aired live and commercial-free during an hour long block on Spike. Tito Ortiz was originally scheduled to fight Mark Coleman; however, on October 5, 2009, the fight was cancelled as Coleman was suffering from a knee injury. UFC confirmed that Forrest Griffin would step in to face Ortiz.
On October 26, UFC Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar pulled out of his fight against Shane Carwin due to an illness that kept him from training. The UFC therefore had the Ortiz v. Griffin fight headline the UFC 106 card.
Dana White confirmed on November 19 that Karo Parisyan had pulled out of his fight against Dustin Hazelett for undisclosed reasons. Hazelett was paid his full purse including show and win. As a result, the fight between Paulo Thiago and Jacob Volkmann was promoted to the main card. Parisyan was also cut from the promotion following this incident.
- Sotiropoulos defeated Dent via submission (armbar) at 4:36 of round 2. This bout aired on the Spike broadcast following the Grove vs. Rosholt fight. This bout also aired last on the PPV broadcast following the Griffin vs. Ortiz fight.
- Uno and Camoes fought to a majority draw after three rounds. The judges scored the fight 29–27 (Uno), 28–28 and 28–28. A point deduction was given to Camoes for illegal kicks to the head of Uno.
- Foster defeated Larson via TKO (punches) at 3:25 of round 2. This bout aired on the Spike broadcast following the Davis vs. Saunders fight.
Preliminary card (televised)
- Grove defeated Rosholt via submission (triangle choke) at 3:59 of round 1. This bout aired on the PPV broadcast following the Thiago vs. Volkmann fight.
- Saunders defeated Davis via KO (knee) at 3:24 of round 1. This bout aired on the PPV broadcast following the Cane vs. Nogueira fight.
- Sadollah defeated Baroni via unanimous decision (30–27, 30–27, 29–28).
- Nogueira defeated Cane via KO (punches) at 1:56 of round 1.
- Thiago defeated Volkmann via unanimous decision (29–28, 30–27, 30–27).
- Koscheck defeated Johnson via submission (rear-naked choke) at 4:47 of round 2.
- Griffin defeated Ortiz via split decision (28–29, 30–27, 29–28)
Fighters were awarded $70,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Josh Koscheck vs. Anthony Johnson
- Knockout of the Night: Antônio Rogério Nogueira
- Submission of the Night: Josh Koscheck
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the Nevada State Athletic Commission. It does not include sponsor money or "locker room" bonuses often given by the UFC and also do not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses.
- Forrest Griffin: $250,000 (includes $150,000 win bonus) def. Tito Ortiz: $250,000
- Josh Koscheck: $106,000 ($53,000 win bonus) def. Anthony Johnson: $17,000
- Paulo Thiago: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus) def. Jacob Volkmann: $6,000
- Antonio Rogerio Nogueira: $100,000 ($30,000 win bonus) def. Luiz Cane: $19,000
- Amir Sadollah: $30,000 ($15,000 win bonus) def. Phil Baroni: $25,000
- Ben Saunders: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus) def. Marcus Davis: $27,000
- Kendall Grove: $44,000 ($22,000 win bonus) def. Jake Rosholt: $15,000
- Brian Foster: $12,000 ($6,000 win bonus) def. Brock Larson: $26,000
- Caol Uno: $20,000 vs. Fabricio Camoes: $10,000 ^
- George Sotiropoulos: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus) def. Jason Dent: $8,000
^ Both fighters earned show money; bout declared majority draw.
- ""UFC 106: Ortiz vs. Griffin II" draws reported 10,529 attendees for $3 million gate". mmajunkie.com. 2009-11-24.
- "UFC 106". Ufc.com. Retrieved 2009-09-09.
- "Forrest Griffin replaces Mark Coleman, faces Tito Ortiz at "UFC 106: Lesnar vs. Carwin"". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2009-10-09.
- "John Howard vs. Dennis Hallman in the works for UFC 106 in Las Vegas". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2009-09-07.
- "Kenny Florian-Clay Guida Likely for UFC 106 in November". MMA Fanhouse. Retrieved 2009-08-27.
- ""Superman" vs. "Doomsday" shifted to The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale in December". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2009-09-10.
- "Florian vs. Guida Moved to UFC 107". MMAFrenzy.com. 2009-01-02. Retrieved 2009-09-09.
- "UFC 106 fighter bonuses: Koscheck, Johnson and Nogueira earn $70K awards". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved November 22, 2009.
- "UFC 106 fighter salaries: Forrest Griffin and Tito Ortiz each earn $250,000". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved November 23, 2009.