|UFC 108: Evans vs. Silva|
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||January 2, 2010|
|Venue||MGM Grand Garden Arena|
The card for UFC 108 was plagued with numerous injuries, with multiple potential fights being called off as a result.
A proposed main event featured UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva facing off against former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Vitor Belfort. However, it was announced by Silva's manager, Ed Soares, that the fight would not happen at UFC 108 because Silva would not be fully healed from elbow surgery.
A bout between Brock Lesnar and Shane Carwin for the UFC Heavyweight Championship was rescheduled from UFC 106 to UFC 108, but this fight did not take place due to a continuing medical condition suffered by Lesnar.
The winner of a bout between Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira and Cain Velasquez was to be guaranteed a title shot for the UFC Heavyweight Championship against the eventual winner of the Lesnar vs. Carwin bout. The planned bout was later scrapped when Nogueira was forced to pull out of the fight due to a severe case of staph infection. A possible Velasquez vs. Carwin match for an interim belt had been ruled out as a new main event due to Carwin undergoing knee surgery, although there were talks of the fight possibly happening at a later date. The Nogueira/Velasquez bout was scheduled for February 21, 2010 at UFC 110, though it was not for the interim belt.
On December 11, Tyson Griffin pulled out of his bout with Jim Miller, citing an injury. Sean Sherk, who originally had a fight with Rafaello Oliveira, stepped up as Griffin's replacement. However, on December 17, Sherk pulled out of the fight; Duane Ludwig would eventually replace Sherk.
Martin Kampmann vs. Rory Markham was also called off days later due to a knee injury. On December 14 it was announced that Jacob Volkmann would be replacing Markham. Volkmann came off short rest after last fighting at UFC 106.
On December 29, it was announced that Steve Cantwell had pulled out of his scheduled bout with Vladimir Matyushenko. Since there was no time to find a suitable replacement to face Matyushenko, the bout was called off.
|Light Heavyweight||Rashad Evans||def||Thiago Silva||unanimous decision (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Catchweight (172 lb)||Paul Daley||def||Dustin Hazelett||KO (punches)||1||2:24|
|Lightweight||Sam Stout||def||Joe Lauzon||unanimous decision (30–26, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Jim Miller||def||Duane Ludwig||submission (armbar)||1||2:31|
|Heavyweight||Junior dos Santos||def||Gilbert Yvel||TKO (punches)||1||2:07|
|Welterweight||Martin Kampmann||def||Jacob Volkmann||submission (guillotine choke)||1||4:03||[a]|
|Lightweight||Cole Miller||def||Dan Lauzon||submission (modified kimura)||1||3:05||[b]|
|Middleweight||Mark Muñoz||def||Ryan Jensen||submission (punches)||1||2:30||[c]|
|Welterweight||Jake Ellenberger||def||Mike Pyle||TKO (punches)||2||0:22||[d]|
|Lightweight||Rafaello Oliveira||def||John Gunderson||unanimous decision (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
- This bout aired on the PPV broadcast following the Lauzon vs. Stout fight.
- This bout aired on the PPV broadcast following the Miller vs. Ludwig fight.
- This bout aired on the Spike broadcast following the Kampmann vs. Volkmann fight. This bout also aired on the PPV broadcast following the Hazelett vs. Daley fight.
- This bout aired on the Spike broadcast following the Miller vs. Lauzon fight. This bout also aired last on the PPV broadcast following the Evans vs. Silva fight.
Fighters were awarded $50,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Joe Lauzon vs. Sam Stout
- Knockout of the Night: Paul Daley
- Submission of the Night: Cole Miller
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the Nevada State Athletic Commission. It does not include sponsor money or "locker room" bonuses often given by the UFC and also do not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses.
- Rashad Evans: $375,000 (includes $175,000 win bonus) def. Thiago Silva: $55,000
- Paul Daley: $34,200 ($18,000 win bonus) def. Dustin Hazelett: $19,800 ^
- Sam Stout: $24,000 ($12,000 win bonus) def. Joe Lauzon: $12,000
- Jim Miller: $30,000 ($15,000 win bonus) def. Duane Ludwig: $12,000
- Junior dos Santos: $60,000 ($30,000 win bonus) def. Gilbert Yvel: $30,000
- Martin Kampmann: $46,000 ($23,000 win bonus) def. Jacob Volkmann: $6,000
- Cole Miller: $24,000 ($12,000 win bonus) def. Dan Lauzon: $15,000
- Mark Munoz: $32,000 ($16,000 win bonus) def. Ryan Jensen: $6,000
- Jake Ellenberger: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus) def. Mike Pyle: $16,000
- Rafaello Oliveira: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus) def. John Gunderson: $8,000
^ Paul Daley was fined 10 percent of his "show" money for failing to make the 170-pound welterweight limit; the $1,800 was awarded to Dustin Hazelett.
|Duane Ludwig||Falco||"Push! Push!"||Final Curtain: The Ultimate Best of Falco|
|Dustin Hazelett||Emmylou Harris||"Wayfaring Stranger"||Roses in the Snow|
|Gilbert Yvel||AC/DC||"Thunderstruck"||The Razor's Edge|
|Jake Ellenberger||Rammstein||"Du Hast"||Sehnsucht|
|Jim Miller||Creedence Clearwater Revival||"Bad Moon Rising"||Green River|
|Joe Lauzon||Thousand Foot Krutch||"Move"||The Art of Breaking|
|John Gunderson||Dorrough||"Ice Cream Paint Job"||Dorrough Music|
|Junior dos Santos||Bill Conti||"Gonna Fly Now"||Rocky Balboa: The Best of Rocky|
|Mark Munoz||E-40 (feat. Keak da Sneak)||"Tell Me When to Go"||My Ghetto Report Card [Clean]|
|Mike Pyle||Fort Minor||"Remember the Name"||The Rising Tied|
|Paul Daley||Kay & Aace||"Movin' That"||Dream World|
|Rafaello Oliveira||Nação Zumbi||"Meu Maracatu Pesa uma Tonelada"||Nação Zumbi|
|Rashad Evans||KRS-One||"Step into a World (Rapture's Delight)"||I Got Next|
|Sam Stout||Eminem (feat. DMX & Obie Trice)||"Go to Sleep"||Cradle 2 The Grave|
- "UFC 108 EVANS vs SILVA". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2009-11-18.
- "UFC 108's Nogueira vs Velasquez winner guaranteed title shot". mmajunkie.com. 2009-11-10. Retrieved 2009-11-10.
- "Nogueira has severe staph infection; UFC 108 bout with Velasquez off". mmajunkie.com. 2009-11-14. Retrieved 2009-11-14.
- "UFC – Brock Lesnar seriously ill, out indefinitely". ifight365.com. 2009-11-15.
- "Nogueira vs. Velasquez, Bisping vs. Silva official for "UFC 110: Nogueira vs. Velasquez"". mmafrenzy.com. 2009-12-13.
- "Another good fight goes bye-bye: Gonzaga out of UFC 108". sports.yahoo.com. 2009-11-25.
- "Gilbert Yvel Replaces Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC 108". fightclubhouse.com. 2009-12-03.
- "Condit pulls from UFC 108 bout against Daley". mmaunltd.com. 2009-12-09.
- ""UFC 108: Evans vs. Silva" takes another hit; lightweight Tyson Griffin out". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2009-12-11.
- "Steve Cantwell vs. Vladimir Matyushenko pulled from UFC 108 fight card". mmajunkie.com. 2009-12-30.
- "UFC 108 salaries: Rashad Evans earns top payday with $375K, leads $843K fighter payroll". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved January 4, 2010.