|UFC 125: Resolution|
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||January 1, 2011|
|Venue||MGM Grand Garden Arena|
|City||Las Vegas, Nevada|
UFC 125: Resolution was a mixed martial arts event held by the Ultimate Fighting Championship on January 1, 2011 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. This was the last UFC event with a subtitle other than simply the names of the headlining fighters.
On October 28, 2010, UFC president Dana White announced that World Extreme Cagefighting (WEC) would merge with the UFC and that WEC Featherweight Champion Jose Aldo would be promoted to UFC Featherweight Champion. Josh Grispi was pulled from a planned WEC 52 bout with Erik Koch to challenge Aldo for the Featherweight title at this event. However, Aldo was later forced off the card with an injury. Grispi remained on the card and fought Dustin Poirier.
UFC 125 preliminary fights were shown live for the first time on Ion Television in the United States. The preliminary fights were shown live in the United Kingdom on ESPN, Rogers Sportsnet in Canada and Fuel TV in Australia.
|Lightweight||Frankie Edgar (c)||vs.||Gray Maynard||Draw (split) (46–48, 48–46, 47–47)||5||5:00||[a]|
|Middleweight||Brian Stann||def.||Chris Leben||TKO (knee and punches)||1||3:37|
|Light Heavyweight||Brandon Vera||vs.||Thiago Silva||No Contest (overturned)||3||5:00||[b]|
|Welterweight||Dong Hyun Kim||def.||Nate Diaz||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Clay Guida||def.||Takanori Gomi||Submission (guillotine choke)||2||4:27|
|Preliminary card (Spike)|
|Lightweight||Jeremy Stephens||def.||Marcus Davis||KO (punch)||3||2:33|
|Featherweight||Dustin Poirier||def.||Josh Grispi||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Middleweight||Brad Tavares||def.||Phil Baroni||KO (knees and punches)||1||4:20||[c]|
|Featherweight||Diego Nunes||def.||Mike Brown||Decision (split) (29–28, 29–28, 28–29)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Daniel Roberts||def.||Greg Soto||Submission (kimura)||1||3:45||[d]|
|Lightweight||Jacob Volkmann||def.||Antonio McKee||Decision (split) (29–28, 29–28, 28–29)||3||5:00|
- For UFC Lightweight Championship
- Originally unanimous decision (30–26, 30–27, 30–27) victory for Silva, the result was changed to "No Contest" after Silva falsified a urine sample.
- This bout aired last on the PPV broadcast following the Roberts vs. Soto fight.
- This bout aired on the PPV broadcast following the Edgar vs. Maynard fight.
Fighters were awarded $60,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard
- Knockout of the Night: Jeremy Stephens
- Submission of the Night: Clay Guida
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the Nevada State Athletic Commission. It does not include sponsor money or "locker room" bonuses often given by the UFC and also do not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses.
- Frankie Edgar: $102,000 ($51,000 win bonus) vs. Gray Maynard: $52,000 ($26,000 win bonus) ^
- Brian Stann: $42,000 ($21,000 win bonus) def. Chris Leben: $46,000
- Thiago Silva: $110,000 ($55,000 win bonus) def. Brandon Vera: $60,000
- Dong Hyun Kim: $70,000 ($35,000 win bonus) def. Nate Diaz: $33,000
- Clay Guida: $62,000 ($31,000 win bonus) def. Takanori Gomi: $50,000
- Jeremy Stephens: $36,000 ($18,000 win bonus) def. Marcus Davis: $31,000
- Dustin Poirier: $8,000 ($4,000 win bonus) def. Josh Grispi: $15,000
- Brad Tavares: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus) def. Phil Baroni: $25,000
- Diego Nunes: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus) def. Mike Brown: $23,000
- Daniel Roberts: $24,000 ($12,000 win bonus) def. Greg Soto: $8,000
- Jacob Volkmann: $24,000 ($12,000 win bonus) def. Antonio McKee: $15,000
^Although not reflected in the NSAC paperwork, both Edgar and Maynard received their win bonuses despite the draw.
- Ray Hui. "UFC 125 Draws Paid Attendance of 6,978". MMA Fighting.
- "UFC 125: Resolution". ufc.com. October 21, 2010.
- "Injured Shane Carwin pulls out of UFC 125 co-main event with Roy Nelson".
- "New UFC Featherweight champ Jose Aldo defends title at UFC 125".
- Fernando Quiles Jr. "UFC 125: Jose Aldo vs Josh Grispi in the works for Jan. 1 in Las Vegas".
- "Injury forces new UFC champ Jose Aldo to withdraw from UFC 125". MMAjunkie.
- "With Jose Aldo out, Dustin Poirier faces Josh Grispi at UFC 125". MMAjunkie.
- "Miller vs. Wiman, Freire vs. Lowe official for UFC Fight Night 23".
- "Ion Television lands UFC 125 prelims; Dana White promises three fights". mmajunkie.com. December 28, 2010.
- "UFC 125 prelims air live on ESPN in U.K., Rogers Sportsnet in Canada". mmajunkie.com. 2010-12-29.
- "Fuel TV to broadcast Live UFC action". foxsports.com.au. 2010-12-31.
- "UFC 125 bonuses: Edgar, Maynard, Stephens and Guida each earn $60K awards". MMAjunkie.com. January 2, 2011.
- "UFC 125 salaries: Thiago Silva and Frankie Edgar top $872K fighter payroll".