|UFC 146: dos Santos vs. Mir|
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||May 26, 2012|
|Venue||MGM Grand Garden Arena|
|City||Las Vegas, Nevada|
UFC 146: dos Santos vs. Mir was a mixed martial arts (MMA) pay-per-view event (PPV) promoted by the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) on May 26, 2012 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. The main card featured five MMA bouts which were shown on PPV, as well as seven preliminary bouts which were shown on FX, and Facebook. This was the first time in UFC history that the main card featured all heavyweight bouts. It was the twelfth UFC event of 2012.
The main event featured the UFC Heavyweight Champion, Junior dos Santos, defending his title against former two-time UFC Heavyweight Champion Frank Mir. The contest was heavily promoted, featuring the return of UFC Primetime to promote the UFC Heavyweight Championship. The co-main event of the evening was a battle between former heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez, and newly acquired Strikeforce heavyweight, Antonio Silva, who made his UFC debut.
Frank Mir was riding a three fight win streak leading up to this event, including a submission victory over Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira, a friend and mentor of Junior dos Santos, at UFC 140. Nogueira refused to tap to the kimura lock submission attempt, until it broke after his arm snapped under the pressure, then he tapped. Not only was Mir the first fighter to ever submit Nogueira, but he did so in devastating fashion. This was the first title defense for dos Santos since winning the belt by knocking out Cain Velasquez in November 2011 at UFC on Fox: Velasquez vs. Dos Santos.
UFC Primetime returned to promote the UFC Heavyweight Championship between Mir and dos Santos. The heavyweight championship at UFC 146 was the featured fight on the main card, which for the first time in UFC history had all heavyweight bouts.
Alistair Overeem removal and card changes
Originally scheduled to headline the event was a Heavyweight Championship bout between one of UFC's newest stars, Alistair Overeem (who defeated former champion Brock Lesnar in his UFC debut to earn the title shot), and champion Junior dos Santos. On April 4, 2012, however, the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) announced Overeem had failed his pre-fight drug test. Overeem's March drug test showed a 14:1 testosterone-epitestosterone ratio, according to the NSAC.
This resulted in a considerable shake up of the matches on the main card. On April 20, 2012, UFC President Dana White announced that Junior dos Santos would now defend his title against Frank Mir instead. Two days later, White announced Cain Velasquez (who was originally slated to fight Mir in the co-main event) would face Antonio Silva. Roy Nelson (who was originally scheduled to fight Silva, and then briefly Gabriel Gonzaga) faced Dave Herman. And Shane del Rosario (who was originally slated to fight Gonzaga) faced Stipe Miocic.
|Heavyweight||Junior dos Santos (c)||def.||Frank Mir||TKO (punches)||2||3:04||[a]|
|Heavyweight||Cain Velasquez||def.||Antonio Silva||TKO (elbow & punches)||1||3:36|
|Heavyweight||Roy Nelson||def.||Dave Herman||KO (punch)||1||0:51|
|Heavyweight||Stipe Miocic||def.||Shane del Rosario||TKO (elbows)||2||3:14|
|Heavyweight||Stefan Struve||def.||Lavar Johnson||Submission (armbar)||1||1:05|
|Preliminary Card on FX|
|Featherweight||Darren Elkins||def.||Diego Brandao||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Jamie Varner||def.||Edson Barboza||TKO (punches)||1||3:23||[b]|
|Middleweight||C.B. Dollaway||def.||Jason Miller||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 30–26, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Dan Hardy||def.||Duane Ludwig||KO (punch and elbows)||1||3:51||[c]|
|Preliminary Card on Facebook|
|Lightweight||Paul Sass||def.||Jacob Volkmann||Submission (triangle armbar)||1||1:54||[d]|
|Light Heavyweight||Glover Teixeira||def.||Kyle Kingsbury||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||1||1:53||[e]|
|Featherweight||Mike Brown||def.||Daniel Pineda||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00||[f]|
- This fight was for the UFC Heavyweight Championship.
- This fight was shown on the PPV after the Dan Hardy vs. Duane Ludwig fight.
- This fight was shown on the PPV after the Roy Nelson vs. Dave Herman fight.
- This fight was shown on the PPV after the Junior dos Santos vs. Frank Mir fight.
- This fight was shown on the PPV after the Paul Sass vs. Jacob Volkmann fight.
- This fight was shown on the PPV after the Glover Teixeira vs. Kyle Kingsbury fight.
Fighters were awarded $70,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: No bonuses for Fight of the Night were given.
- Knockout of the Night: Roy Nelson and Dan Hardy
- Submission of the Night: Stefan Struve and Paul Sass
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the Nevada State Athletic Commission. It does not include sponsor money and also does not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses.
- Junior dos Santos: $200,000 (no win bonus) def. Frank Mir: $200,000
- Cain Velasquez: $200,000 (includes $100,000 win bonus) def. Antonio Silva: $70,000
- Roy Nelson: $40,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus) def. Dave Herman: $21,000
- Stipe Miocic: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Shane del Rosario: $20,000
- Stefan Struve: $58,000 (includes $29,000 win bonus) def. Lavar Johnson: $26,000
- Darren Elkins: $28,000 (includes $14,000 win bonus) def. Diego Brandao: $15,000
- Jamie Varner: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Edson Barboza: $18,000
- C.B. Dollaway: $40,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus) def. Jason Miller: $45,000
- Dan Hardy: $50,000 (includes $25,000 win bonus) def. Duane Ludwig: $18,000
- Paul Sass: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Jacob Volkmann: $20,000
- Glover Teixeira: $30,000 (includes $15,000 win bonus) def. Kyle Kingsbury: $12,000
- Mike Brown: $52,000 (includes $26,000 win bonus) def. Daniel Pineda: $10,000
- "UFC 146 officially draws 14,674 attendance for $3.4 million live gate". mmajunkie.com. June 6, 2012.
- "UFC 146 does more than 500,000 PPV Buys". bloodyelbow.com. June 6, 2012.
- "UFC 146 Final Live Gate and PPV Buyrates". mmafrenzy.com.
- "UFC 146 salaries: Dos Santos, Mir and Velasquez lead $1.2 million payroll". mmajunkie.com. May 29, 2012.
- "UFC 146 Results: Junior dos Santos Takes Down Frank Mir". Fox News. May 27, 2012. Retrieved May 26, 2012.
- "Junior Dos Santos out to avoid bad break against Frank Mir in UFC". LA Daily News. May 25, 2012. Retrieved May 25, 2012.[dead link]
- "'UFC Primetime' airs on FX for 'UFC 146: Dos Santos vs. Overeem'". mmajunkie.com. March 10, 2012.
- "UFC 146 Dos Santos vs. Mir". ESPN. April 24, 2012. Retrieved May 14, 2012.
- "What's up with Phoenix MMA fighter Jamie Varner". azcentral.com. May 22, 2012. Retrieved May 27, 2012.
- "Mark Hunt Out of UFC 146; Lavar Johnson Now Meets Stefan Struve". mmafighting.com. May 17, 2012. Retrieved May 17, 2012.
- "UFC, MMA wrestling with testosterone issues". USA Today. May 25, 2012. Retrieved May 27, 2012.
- "UFC scrambles to pin down main events for major pay-per-views". Vancouver Sun. April 23, 2012. Retrieved April 25, 2012.[dead link]
- "Alistair Overeem out, Frank Mir in against Junior Dos Santos at UFC 146". mmajunkie.com. April 20, 2012. Retrieved April 20, 2012.
- "UFC 146: Cain Velasquez vs Antonio Silva booked for May 26 in Las Vegas". mmamania.com. April 22, 2012. Retrieved April 22, 2012.
- "Gabriel Gonzaga fills open slot against Roy Nelson at UFC 146". mmajunkie.com. April 23, 2012. Retrieved April 23, 2012.
- "Roy Nelson to fight Dave Herman". ESPN. May 2, 2012. Retrieved May 14, 2012.
- "Roy Nelson vs Dave Herman booked with Gabriel Gonzaga injured". mmamania.com. May 2, 2012. Retrieved May 2, 2012.
- "Firefighter, former college athlete Stipe Miocic making his mark in the UFC". Las Vegas Sun. May 24, 2012. Retrieved May 27, 2012.
- "UFC 146 bonuses: Roy Nelson, Stefan Struve, Dan Hardy, Paul Sass Pocket $70,000 Apiece". sherdog.com. May 26, 2012.